Re: [pfaf] Re: hypericum flowers - are they edible?

  • daniel wildman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2008
      Hi Hilary: In another post you asked "what on earth are "Johnny Jump Ups"?? Here in PA/US it is one of the first flowering plant to "jump up" in Spring, But " It has been introduced into North America,"
      For more infromation about "Jonny Jump Ups" for (Medical use):
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_tricolor
      "Heartsease (Viola tricolor) is a common European wild flower, growing as an annual or short-lived perennial. It has been introduced into North America, where it has spread widely, and is known as the Johnny Jump Up (though this name is also applied to similar species such as the Yellow Pansy). It is the progenitor of the cultivated Pansy, and is therefore sometimes called Wild Pansy; before the cultivated Pansies were developed, "Pansy" was an alternative name for the wild form."
      "As its name implies, Heartsease has a long history of use in herbalism. It has been recommended, among other uses, as a treatment for epilepsy, asthma, skin diseases and eczema. It has expectorant properties, and so has been used in the treatment of chest complaints such as bronchitis and whooping cough. It is also a diuretic, leading to its use in treating rheumatism and cystitis."