hypericum flowers - are they edible?

  • mikeandgem
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5 1:19 PM
      i just read a leaflet that said rose of sharon flowers are edible, but
      it doesnt say much about it on the pfaf database. i always think of
      this as hypericum, but perhaps they mean a different plant. does anyone
      know about the edibility of hypericum flowers in general?
      thanks,
      gemma
    • daniel wildman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5 2:45 PM
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon
        "Different scholars have suggested that the biblical "Rose of Sharon" may be one of the following plants:
        * A "kind of crocus" ("Sharon", Harper's Bible Dictionary) or a "crocus that grows in the coastal plain of Sharon" (New Oxford Annotated Bible);
        * Tulipa montana, "a bright red tulip-like flower . . . today prolific in the hills of Sharon" ("rose", Harper's Bible Dictionary);
        * Tulipa agenensis, the Sharon tulip, a species of tulip suggested by a few botanists; or
        * Lilium candidum, more commonly known as the Madonna lily, a species of lily suggested by some botanists, though likely in reference to the "lily of the valleys" mentioned in the second part of Song of Solomon 2.1."
        "Today, the name is also commonly applied to two different plants, neither of which is likely to have been the plant from the Bible:
        * Hypericum calycinum, an evergreen flowering shrub native to southeast Europe and southwest Asia, and the plant generally referred to in British and Australian English as "Rose of Sharon"; and
        * Hibiscus syriacus, a deciduous flowering shrub native to east Asia, the plant generally referred to in American English as "Rose of Sharon" and the national flower of South Korea. The flower's name in Korean is mugunghwa"
        More information about Rose of Sharon an other edible flowers:
        http://oldfashionedliving.com/edibleflowers.html
        Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon are mentioned as 2 differant flowers

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5 3:52 PM
          ho,

          i have eaten some flowers of hypericum maculatum, but think one shouldn't
          eat 'em in summertime as the whole plant makes eyes very sensitive to
          light (and that's why hypericum sp. are great here in the dark months of
          mid winter) ... but regular continuous consumption results one to
          hallucinate. I'm not sure what causes that. At least species native here
          in fennoscandia have purple liquid in the flowers and are are useful as a
          dye. i would be cautious to eat them in quantity.

          ossi

          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_of_Sharon
          > "Different scholars have suggested that the biblical "Rose of Sharon" may
          > be one of the following plants:
          > * A "kind of crocus" ("Sharon", Harper's Bible Dictionary) or a "crocus
          > that grows in the coastal plain of Sharon" (New Oxford Annotated Bible);
          > * Tulipa montana, "a bright red tulip-like flower . . . today prolific in
          > the hills of Sharon" ("rose", Harper's Bible Dictionary);
          > * Tulipa agenensis, the Sharon tulip, a species of tulip suggested by a
          > few botanists; or
          > * Lilium candidum, more commonly known as the Madonna lily, a species of
          > lily suggested by some botanists, though likely in reference to the "lily
          > of the valleys" mentioned in the second part of Song of Solomon 2.1."
          > "Today, the name is also commonly applied to two different plants, neither
          > of which is likely to have been the plant from the Bible:
          > * Hypericum calycinum, an evergreen flowering shrub native to southeast
          > Europe and southwest Asia, and the plant generally referred to in British
          > and Australian English as "Rose of Sharon"; and
          > * Hibiscus syriacus, a deciduous flowering shrub native to east Asia, the
          > plant generally referred to in American English as "Rose of Sharon" and
          > the national flower of South Korea. The flower's name in Korean is
          > mugunghwa"
          > More information about Rose of Sharon an other edible flowers:
          > http://oldfashionedliving.com/edibleflowers.html
          > Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon are mentioned as 2 differant flowers

        • Hilary Robinson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6 12:51 AM
            Fascinating web page you've mentioned (see below) but what on earth
            are "Johnny Jump Ups"??

            Regards, Hilary (in Cheshire)

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...> wrote:

            > More information about Rose of Sharon an other edible flowers:
            > http://oldfashionedliving.com/edibleflowers.html
            > Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon are mentioned as 2 differant flowers

          • Pat Meadows
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6 10:07 AM
              On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:51:00 -0000, you wrote:

              >Fascinating web page you've mentioned (see below) but what on earth
              >are "Johnny Jump Ups"??

              Maybe you know them as 'violas'; they are _Viola cornuta_ . Or maybe
              _Viola tricolor_. (It's unclear to me which name is correct.)

              They are a relative of pansies and of violets. Or maybe all three are the
              same species?

              Nice photo: http://tinyurl.com/5wmfdb

              Pat
              --
              Northern Pennsylvania

              CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
              http://www.thehungersite.com/
            • Hilary Robinson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6 2:03 PM
                Looking at the photo, I think these are what we would just call
                "violas" in the UK. There are various named varieties, and they tend
                to cross and seed themselves, and yes, the flowers are great to eat.
                V tricolor is the wild flower called Heartsease here, and V cornuta is
                another kind of garden viola here, Horned Violet, which is more of a
                rock-garden perennial.
                Regards, Hilary (Cheshire)

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:

                > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:51:00 -0000, you wrote:
                >
                > >Fascinating web page you've mentioned (see below) but what on earth
                > >are "Johnny Jump Ups"??
                > >

                > Maybe you know them as 'violas'; they are _Viola cornuta_ . Or maybe
                > _Viola tricolor_. (It's unclear to me which name is correct.)
                >
                > They are a relative of pansies and of violets. Or maybe all three
                are the
                > same species?
                >
                > Nice photo: http://tinyurl.com/5wmfdb
                >
                > Pat
                > --
                > Northern Pennsylvania
                >
                > CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
                > http://www.thehungersite.com/

              • daniel wildman
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6 4:18 PM
                  Hi Hilary: In another post you asked "what on earth are "Johnny Jump Ups"?? Here in PA/US it is one of the first flowering plant to "jump up" in Spring, But " It has been introduced into North America,"
                  For more infromation about "Jonny Jump Ups" for (Medical use):
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_tricolor
                  "Heartsease (Viola tricolor) is a common European wild flower, growing as an annual or short-lived perennial. It has been introduced into North America, where it has spread widely, and is known as the Johnny Jump Up (though this name is also applied to similar species such as the Yellow Pansy). It is the progenitor of the cultivated Pansy, and is therefore sometimes called Wild Pansy; before the cultivated Pansies were developed, "Pansy" was an alternative name for the wild form."
                  "As its name implies, Heartsease has a long history of use in herbalism. It has been recommended, among other uses, as a treatment for epilepsy, asthma, skin diseases and eczema. It has expectorant properties, and so has been used in the treatment of chest complaints such as bronchitis and whooping cough. It is also a diuretic, leading to its use in treating rheumatism and cystitis."