Re: The American Grey Squirrel in Europe

  • manofpeace32
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
      I always thought greys were from Europe
      Thanks for clearing that up.
      By the way do Red ones serious affect The USA.

      MAybe some traps with grey female hormones are used to catch them.
      If not maybe that would be good to us many of those kind of traps
      I heard they taste good, better then the Red ones better not have them
      go to waste.

      I know some people might not like it,
      but if it's reaking habit on the habitat,
      competting for food with the natives,
      or introducing disease's
      then I believe it's probaly better for the enviroment.
    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
        the fastest way to eradicate something, whether that is your
        intention or not, is to persuade people that it tastes good
        or its body parts or hide look good.

        Mary Christine

        In a message dated 7/5/2008 8:40:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        manofpeace32@... writes:

        I always thought greys were from Europe
        Thanks for clearing that up.
        By the way do Red ones serious affect The USA.

        MAybe some traps with grey female hormones are used to catch them.
        If not maybe that would be good to us many of those kind of traps
        I heard they taste good, better then the Red ones better not have them
        go to waste.

        I know some people might not like it,
        but if it's reaking habit on the habitat,
        competting for food with the natives,
        or introducing disease's
        then I believe it's probaly better for the enviroment.

      • ingrid glass
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
          Dear 'manofpeace',

          If you'd followed the link I gave in my previous response to this issue, posted on June 14th, you wouldn't be making these statements below!

          I quote from my post :

          "An alternative view :

          http://www.junction49.co.uk/chapel/article1469.html

          Unfortunately the petition has now closed.

          Red squirrels had been in serious decline well before the introduction of greys to the UK, mainly because of habitat removal (coniferous forest) and red squirrel culls - note that greys prefer deciduous broad-leaved woodland. Also, the squirrelpox virus was here BEFORE the greys were!!! They do not kill large no.s of baby birds unless there is a food shortage. Deer stripping tree bark is a greater problem than the damage greys do. There are many disputable 'facts' in the articles you have posted - see my link above."

          Humans wreak FAR MORE havoc (I assume you mean havoc rather than habit???!!) on habitat, but we are always quick to point the finger (and the gun) at some scapegoat or other, rather than ourselves.

          Fair enough if you are a meat eater - better to go out & kill a few squirrels 'humanely' yourself for food, than buy from a shop and not know what conditions/life the animal 'endured' before becoming 'dead meat' for human consumption. (Oh, and conveniently let someone else do the slaughtering for you). But there are other control methods available if there really is such a problem with bark stripping etc. e.g. catching & mass contraceptive programme for the females. Surely it's best to exhaust these possibilities before resorting to killing? Except culling is relatively quick & cheap I guess....I think that's what it boils down in the end, like most things these days.

          If you really are a 'man of peace', shouldn't you approach a problem with peaceful solutions first?

          Anyway, as I repeat again, this is a forum for discussing plant-use matters and so I'm not sure it's the place to discuss controversial issues around squirrel control (or not!) except where it specifically relates to fruit/nut tree health.

          Please read follow-up posts before repeating ill-founded statements as fact!!!

          Peace to you! 8^)

          ________________________________

          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
          From: manofpeace32@...
          Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 12:00:18 +0000
          Subject: [pfaf] Re: The American Grey Squirrel in Europe

          I know some people might not like it,
          but if it's reaking habit on the habitat,
          competting for food with the natives,
          or introducing disease's
          then I believe it's probaly better for the enviroment.

          Play and win great prizes with Live Search and Kung Fu Panda
          http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/101719966/direct/01/
        • ingrid glass

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 10, 2008
              ...go on and totally ignore the nut growers and foresters grey
              squirrel urls then wont you, animal rights loony.

              You have your agenda Ingrid, and you're gonna stick to it regardless
              of any actual facts and imperical evidence put in front of you -
              you're a fundimentalist!

              I.e end of any real debate, time to wheel out the standard AR
              references, and keep hammering them home untill you browbeat any
              opposition into submission.

              I started talking to a woman who looked mad or homeless in Paddock
              Wood, Kent. She told me to warn people that there are people going
              around at the dead of night capturing cats for use in 'testing'. I
              pointed out to her that this was possible, but unlikely because
              vivisectors require a standardised product - a uniform and disease
              free product, and cats picked up off the street will not fit this
              requirement. The AR fundimentalist responded with: "I HATE people tht
              kill animals". End of debate. She must obviously therefore, be
              correct. (about cat-napping). She had a trolley thing with a furry
              object inside - either a live or stuffed cat I think.

              No man, thats wrong, 'dids' have been going round stealing cats for
              testing maaaaannnnn, and also stealing babies for use in masonic
              ritual abuse 'alchemy'.