Re: Plant trading or SASE

  • manofpeace32
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2008
      I WAs just looking around for a plant related to galic mustard
      (In same genus)
      not family as the list is long, and Im not sure if they'd cross.

      the ones I was looking at that are galic mustard are.
      Alliaria petiolata , and Alliaria officinalis
      To make a hybrid that posibaly could hybrize others close By.
      (I was also thinking common buckthorn Rhamnus cathartica with native
      one in California (ah Rhamnus purshianus

      this is the kind of thing Im interested in hybridizing plants, and
      making them less invasive fighting themselves
      MAYBE Im ignorant about that

      I know they are hermapherdits, and self fertile,
      but what could it harm since they crowd out everything.
      (maybe more of a chance of bee's going from one to another
      or wind pollenation, and making the hybrids hybrize with (Alliaria
      petiolata ) others near By.
      making the plant less invasive
      (like black berries, and raspberries, creating ligonberries)
      Im just not sure how a plot of ligonberries(In CAnada)IN a row of
      blackberries could slow future genreations of invasive blackberrires.

      (I was thinking common buckthorn Rhamnus cathartica crossed with
      native one in California Rhamnus purshianus
      might also cross with others near by and make common buckthron less
      invasive from hybrization in those area's.

      Mostly wondering what a hybrid of the two buckthrons would do to the
      next generation of the invasive buckthorn,

      Im not sure if this would work but nature holds the answer some where
      I believe
      not hard to grow one California buckthorn either since you could
      always Graft onto the common common buckthorn rootstock.

      for smaller area's
      Im sure I could always just spread ground up corn(corn gluten), and
      stop all seeds from spouting invasive , and non invasive , and
      replant other native plants in the area.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "manofpeace32" <manofpeace32@...> wrote:

      > hey thanks very much very helpful
      > As of now Im alittle busy but I saves you message in with all
      those
      > links.
      >
      > When I wrote this It slipped my mind of some links I know of, and
      as
      > a matter of fact
      > On free cycle(A local
      >

      > 1 after you join the have over 100 forums some about native plants
      > (trading also.) (depending where your at.)
      >

      > http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/
      > this may seem over whelming

      > Got alittle ahead of myself
      > these are the trading forums
      > I hope that makes it easyer for you
      > http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/exchind/
      >
      > (

      > yguid=239347903

      technique
      > > http://afsic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?
      > info_center=2&tax_level=2&tax_subject=298&topic_id=1430
      > > garden seeds and offering a large selection of those seeds for
      > sale. ... USDA . Economic Research Service. Data from the National
      > Plant Breeding Study
      > > Sustainable Organic Plant Breeding
      > >

      > > http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/%c2%a0USDA Forest Service - National Seed
      > Laboratory. ...
      > > http://www.mi.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/pmc.html
      > > Plant Materials Program & National Ash Tree Seed Collection
      >
      > > These are but a few USDA sites, if you Google "USDA offering
      seeds"
      > you will find several others that may be of intrest to you, an
      maybe
      > some others in this group> >
      > > I was wondering if anyone else thinks this would be a good idea?

    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2008
        www.davesgarden.com the worlds largest plant data base, has plant trading also, --Michael

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2008
          Hi  manofpeace: I am glad that some of the links were of soem help as well to some others in th PFAF group. If you come across any other links psot them I offten check some of the email post, but the are lots of repeats so its hard to keep up.
          maybe start new post for them. Anyway yes I do write poem's, check out www.poerty.com under my name.
          Thank you Daniel Wildman (there all mine)