Re: Wild Food Foraging

  • The Weed Lady
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 18, 2003
      Sorry about that. Try this link, which omits the comma at the end:

      http://www.wildfoodforagers.org

      Standing knee-deep in abundance!
      The Weed Lady

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Tony Martin <tony.martin11@n...> wrote:
      > Thanks for info, trouble is I have tried the link and it say it
      cannot
      > be found. Any thoughts?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Tony
      >
      > The Weed Lady wrote:
      >
      > > I think ya'll might be interested in this one: a free
      subscription to
      > > the Wild Food Foragers of America email newsletter. It's FREE.
      > >
      > > The underlying message is awareness of and gratitude for the
      > > abundance all around us, emersing ourselves in nature's gifts, and
      > > empowerment toward self-reliance.
      > >
      > > The first issue comes out on April 21st, 2003 and will feature
      how to
      > > identify, harvest, prepare, and store THISTLES, which are growing
      all
      > > over the USA right now.
      > >
      > > Lots of info and photos will be presented on a different edible
      weed
      > > every month, including a slide show, recipes, nutritional and
      > > medicinal information, and links to other info.
      > >
      > > Please check it out at http://www.wildfoodforagers.org, and please
      > > let your friends know about this opportunity to learn about and
      take
      > > advantage of the bounty of delicious edible weeds at our feet.
      > >
      > > Standing knee deep in abundance!
      > >
      > > The Weed Lady
    • Shannon Meeker
      Message 2 of 19 , May 27 10:09 AM
        In the lower columbia river region, where I live, there was a story
        told about Skunk Cabbage being the little brother that kept the
        people alive before the Salmon people came. The roots are apparently
        edible, although not choice. The flowers could be cooked and eaten
        in small quantities, more making a person sick. The medicinal uses
        go on and on, but more information can be found in Erna Gunther's
        Ethnobotany of Western Washington. And it is also written about in
        Michael Moore's Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West. I love Skunk
        cabbage. It is such a wonder to enter it's sheltered streambed world
        in the early spring.
        --

        http://www.bramblehouse.org

        Registered Black Welsh Mountain Sheep
        Portable Custom Sawmilling Services

        Skamokawa, Washington
      • starwolfdreamer
        Message 3 of 19 , May 27 9:42 PM
          Thank you all for your info which broadened my understanding. BB Caat
        • Anna Fraser
          Message 4 of 19 , May 28 5:19 AM
            Hi, Don't know if  it's too late to add this. Here is a summary of my notes from (British) medical herbalists training. Have to add that I have never used the herb myself, as I preferred to use plants that are native British or which I've grown myself.

            Constituents: Volatile oil, resin, gums, sugars, acrid principle (never further identified scientifically as far as I'm aware), silica, iron, manganese.

            Main medicinal use was of the root -both the tuberous root and its rhizomes- (anti-spasmodic, expectorant, daiaphoretic, diuretic, emetic and mildly sedative properties).
            Main uses for this medicine were: Tense or spasmodic conditions of the respiratory system such as: Asthma, Bronchitis, Whooping cough, Irritable tight cough, Hayfever, Tightness in the chest. Has also been used for Fluid retention, Nervousness, Fevers and headaches.

            The MicMac Indians used the pungent smell (caused by the volatile oils) of crushed leaves to treat headaches simply by inhaling the smell.

            Doses are: 0.5 - 1 gram of the powdered root mixed  with a teaspoon of honey 3x a day.
            Fluid extract (1:1 in 25% alcohol): 0.5 - 1 ml 3x a day.
            Tincture (1:10 in 25% alcohol) 2-4 ml 3x a day.

            Cautions: The fresh herb and leaves can cause blistering of the skin. Larger doses can cause nausea and vomiting and may also have slightly narcotic symptoms (incl. dizziness, drowsiness, vertigo, etc.).
            The herb can cause kidney damage in wrong dosages.
            For all these reasons, I would avoid Skunk Cabbage for medicinal use in people who've had kidney conditions and in pregnancy and breast feeding.

            Love, Anna

            ---
          • Drakaika
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
              My name is Andrea Cordone, and I live in Cordoba,
              Argentina. I want some information about the follow
              species: Bromus mollis, Holcus lanatus, Spergula
              arvensis, Stelaria media... Are there edibles?
              All these species was find in the stomach of European
              mummys. The scientists find other species like Rumex
              acetocella and Viola arvensis.

              These species grown spontaneusly en Cordoba, La Pampa,
              Buenos Aires and other areas of Argentina.

              A kiss for all, and thank you,

              Andrea Cordone

              Yahoo! Sorteos - http://loteria.yahoo.es
              Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa
            • Weed Lady
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
                I can speak to the Stelaria Media, otherwise known as Common Chickweed, of
                which I just did a research project on including lots of photos, which you
                can read all about at www.wildfoodforagers.org/chickwd.htm It's considered a
                "choice" edible, and has many medicinal properties as well. It's one of my
                favorite wild foods, very versatile, delicious and highly nutritious.

                www.wildfoodforagers.org

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
                  Dear Andrea,

                  Here is some information on those plants that I hope you find helpful.

                  Stellaria media.

                  This is probably he best edible from your list and also the most useful
                  plant there. Its edible uses are as follows:-

                  Young leaves - raw or cooked as a potherb[2, 7, 9, 12, 52, 54, 183]. They
                  can be available all year round if the winter is not too severe[85]. Very
                  nutritious, they can be added to salads whilst the cooked leaves can
                  scarcely be distinguished from spring spinach[4, K]. The leaves contain
                  saponins so some caution is advised, see the note on toxicity at the top of
                  the page. A nutritional analysis is available[218].
                  Seed - ground into a powder and used in making bread or to thicken
                  soups[172, 183]. It would be very fiddly to harvest any quantity of this
                  seed since it is produced in small quantities throughout most of the year
                  and is very small[K]. The seed contains 17.8% protein and 5.9% fat[218].

                  This is also an important medicinal plant, its qualities are listed below:-

                  Chickweed has a very long history of herbal use, being particularly
                  beneficial in the external treatment of any kind of itching skin
                  condition[238]. It has been known to soothe severe itchiness even where all
                  other remedies have failed[254]. In excess doses chickweed can cause
                  diarrhoea and vomiting[254]. It should not be used medicinally by pregnant
                  women[254].
                  The whole plant is astringent, carminative, demulcent, diuretic,
                  expectorant, laxative, refrigerant, vulnerary[4, 7, 9, 21, 54, 165, 222].
                  Taken internally it is useful in the treatment of chest complaints and in
                  small quantities it also aids digestion[254]. It can be applied as a
                  poultice and will relieve any kind of roseola and is effective wherever
                  there are fragile superficial veins[7]. An infusion of the fresh or dried
                  herb can be added to the bath water and its emollient property will help to
                  reduce inflammation - in rheumatic joints for example - and encourage tissue
                  repair[254]. Chickweed is best harvested between May and July, it can be
                  used fresh or be dried and stored for later use[4, 238].
                  A decoction of the whole plant is taken internally as a post-partum
                  depurative, emmenagogue, galactogogue and circulatory tonic[218]. It is also
                  believed to relieve constipation and be beneficial in the treatment of
                  kidney complaints[244]. The decoction is also used externally to treat
                  rheumatic pains, wounds and ulcers[4, 218, 222].
                  The expressed juice of the plant has been used as an eyewash[244].

                  Some care has to be taken with it, however, as the Cautions on the plant's
                  use indicate:-

                  The leaves contain saponins[7, 65]. Although toxic, these substances are
                  very poorly absorbed by the body and so tend to pass through without causing
                  harm. They are also broken down by thorough cooking. Saponins are found in
                  many plants, including several that are often used for food, such as certain
                  beans. It is advisable not to eat large quantities of food that contain
                  saponins. Saponins are much more toxic to some creatures, such as fish, and
                  hunting tribes have traditionally put large quantities of them in streams,
                  lakes etc in order to stupefy or kill the fish[K].

                  Spergula arvensis

                  This is also edible, but not many people would find it either appetizing or
                  productive enough to want to eat it. The details are as follows:-

                  Leaves and young plants[105]. No more details are given.
                  Seed - cooked. It can be dried and ground into a meal then used with flour
                  for making bread etc[2, 61, 106]. The seed is rich in oil[105]. A famine
                  food, it is only used when all else fails[177]. The seed contains saponins
                  so some caution is advised. See the notes above on toxicity.

                  Like the plant above, it contains saponins and so some caution is advised.

                  As regards Bromus mollis and Holcus lanatus, although these species do not
                  appear in the PFAF database, like virtually all grasses their seeds are
                  edible. However, I think it would be a very hungry and desperate person who
                  would try to get their food from plants such as these since the seeds are so
                  small and fiddly to harvest.

                  Methods were developed in the past, though, to harvest and utilize foods
                  from all different sources, including from a range of plants bearing small
                  seeds. It was very common for the so-called primitive peoples to collect
                  seeds from meadow-like environments, usually by women walking amongst the
                  plants carrying a large plate and a stick, using the stick to hit the plants
                  and dislodge the seeds which would then fall onto the plate. Whilst
                  individual seeds would have been very small and fiddly to harvest, it was
                  possible to harvest quite reasonable quantities which would then have been
                  ground into a powder and cooked together in a kind of mush. Very commonly it
                  would have been fermented to improve both its flavour and digestibility
                  prior to cooking. One of the simplest ways of doing this, practiced in many
                  areas of the world, was to spit into a paste made from the powdered seeds
                  and leave it in a warm place for a day or so. Don't ask me what it tasted
                  like, I've never really fancied food prepared in this way!!!!

                  By the way, of the other two plants you mentioned, Rumex acetosella makes an
                  excellent addition to the salad bowl and is also very productive.

                  Hope this is of some help to you. If you want to know more about a wide
                  range of useful plants then you can look them up in our on-line database at
                  www.pfaf.org.

                  My best wishes

                  Ken Fern

                  > My name is Andrea Cordone, and I live in Cordoba,
                  > Argentina. I want some information about the follow
                  > species: Bromus mollis, Holcus lanatus, Spergula
                  > arvensis, Stelaria media... Are there edibles?
                  > All these species was find in the stomach of European
                  > mummys. The scientists find other species like Rumex
                  > acetocella and Viola arvensis.
                  >
                  > These species grown spontaneusly en Cordoba, La Pampa,
                  > Buenos Aires and other areas of Argentina.
                  >
                  > A kiss for all, and thank you,
                  >
                  > Andrea Cordone

                • Tony Martin
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
                    Hi, went to look at your site (Index page) but could not seem to find
                    links to other pages. Is it me? It looks very interesting and your posts
                    to the group seem very informative.

                    Many thanks

                    Tony

                    Weed Lady wrote:

                    > I can speak to the Stelaria Media, otherwise known as Common Chickweed, of
                    > which I just did a research project on including lots of photos, which you
                    > can read all about at www.wildfoodforagers.org/chickwd.htm It's
                    > considered a
                    > "choice" edible, and has many medicinal properties as well. It's one of my
                    > favorite wild foods, very versatile, delicious and highly nutritious.
                    >
                    > Standing "knee deep in abundance",
                    > The Weed Lady
                    > www.wildfoodforagers.org

                  • Weed Lady
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                      Links are at the bottom, Page 2, Page 3, Chat Board. Hope you'll try again:

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                        Hi, I used the url pointing to the chickweed page, and found the links
                        you mentioned (thank you), but I still can't find any links from the page
                        http://www.wildfoodforagers.org/ to any other of your web pages. I
                        have checked with I.E. and Mozilla browsers.

                        Any thoughts appreciated.

                        Thanks again
                        Tony

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                          Tony, that page links to a sample newsletter. You have to subscribe to
                          reach additional issues like the one I sent you on Chickweed. Subscriptions
                          are free, though, and come once a month. Each issue features one edible
                          weed--this month it's Spiderwort, and comes out on the 21st. What's
                          different about my approach is getting to know one weed at a time, and the
                          slide show which is almost as if a mentor was out there with you gathering
                          the weeds, then bringing them in to the kitchen to process, cook, store.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                            Thanks for the info, I will add my name to the subscription list. I am
                            glad you told because otherwise I would have assumed the site was defunct.

                            Many thanks for what you are doing.

                            Cheers
                            Tony

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 11, 2003
                              Thank you Ken!!!

                              The information is usefull for me, because I´m
                              teaching permaculture in Cordoba city.

                              See you later in the cyberspace,

                              Andrea

                              PD (sorry for my english)

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 11, 2003
                                Thanks for the web page,

                                Best wishes

                                Andrea

                                Yahoo! Sorteos - http://loteria.yahoo.es
                                Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa
                              • charlywhat
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 12, 2004
                                  I am having a lot of trouble trying to find out if skunk cabbage
                                  would be beneficial/detrimental, in the compost pile and at what %.
                                  And or using it as a mulch, does it leach any unwanted toxins? Why
                                  isn't` this, sometimes very abundant plant not utilized more?