Re: Elder flower champagne - word to the wise It ,sounds odd

  • manofpeace32
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3 10:07 AM
      First off about vintiing champange(or spakling wine)
      (accualy true champgne is from Champagne France but screw all thiose
      laws)
      alot more steps are taken(I have a link(s)
      For example riddling
      That is where the bottles are in a wine rack upside down
      This gathers (lees) or sediment if you don't know the termonology

      they do this because you have to shoot out the sediment
      (called degorging)
      while upside down , and replace it with more wine(and or Brandy)
      then the y do that(degorging) again

      I could go on and on

      I read the recipe they add vinegar (might AS WELL ADD BAKING SODA
      when you serve it._
      while if it is distilled with no bacteria, no harm , but with
      bacteria it will turn the wine to acitic acid (vinegar)
      (I say acitic acid because the alcohol may be high enough( I mean a
      high content wine) to change the hole batch or lower to change it,
      but AS FAR AS I KNOW it will have trace amounts.
      (Im prettty coffident it would even have trace amounts if left for a
      week or month before adding CULTERED vinegar to a wine with a high
      alcohol conten)

      (alot of different ways to do things As far as I know maybe this
      recipe tastes very good
      Im not sure how fizzy it'd be compared to sparkling wine
      what I mean is maybe you could carbonate it like beer
      (add sugar, and seal up the bottle)
      in a keg or plastic food grade jug ----
      sorry for babling, but Warning on the food grade plastic I have drank
      wine not stored long, and had breathing problems (PLASTIC CODE PETE
      or GATORADE bottles -- I think PET bottles might not be harmful
      though, but gave up on plastic)

      Now about Champagne I could share, but Im sure it would be easyer to
      search
      also
      I know that you could accualy skip the part of degorging with these
      bags that are porious (used for Dialysis)
      they swell up and then yeast microrganizims are tiny enough to
      ferment it but not leave it cloudy.

      I could get more info on it, but Im busy,
      OK I modifyed this and surpricingly found the Dialysis sparkling link
      very easly
      http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/2033/dialysis.html

      a easy example (of chorse alot of differeent ways to do it.
      http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/process/pages/champagne-
      cover.html

      I have a more complex link
      http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/viticulture/463-017/463-017.html

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, <v.franks@...> wrote:

      > The elder flower champagne fizzes because of the natural yeast in
      the blossoms, so the method would not work with rose petals.