Re: Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed

  • nerdnooky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      Isn't that interesting! I just came across seeds for butterfly weed,
      or pleurisy root, and bought some mainly for the healing properties
      and the umbel-like, beneficial insect attracting flowers. Haven't
      had time to either look it up or plant it yet. (Thank you, Daniel,
      for finding these useful links!) Has anyone grown and/or used this
      herb? Are the seeds poisonous in raw form?

      Pluerisy is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs, such as
      pneumonia, causing a buildup of fluids in the lungs.

      Carol

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello All: I came across this Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed
      article at:
      > http://mygardenguide.com/index.php?
      option=com_content&task=view&id=1109&Itemid=27  And found ou that is
      can be used for both medical an food use, which I was not aware of. I
      do know that the catterpillar of the Monarch Butterfly
      eates "Milkweed".
      > From what I understand is toxic, but the catterpiller does not seem
      to be effected by the toxion, I found out there are 2 birds, 5 mice,
      and possibly some insect/spiders able to eat the monarch's
      larvae/catterpiller/butterfly. "We don't know much about the insect
      predators"
      > Monarch Butterfly Information:
      > http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/MonarchNotes3.html
      > "Briefly, many insects (stink bugs, wasps, ambush bugs are some)
      eat monarchs. We don't know how they deal with the toxins.See the
      Monarch Watch homepage. We have a good section on this."
      > "The two bird species that eat monarchs in the Mexican
      overwintering colonies have probably evolved to be able to tolerate
      the toxins, and this is apparently true of the mice as well. Of five
      species of mice that are common around the overwintering sites in
      Mexico, only one eats monarchs
      > "Also known as pleurisy root, Native Americans chewed on the root
      of the butterfly weed, which was used as a remedy for pleurisy, a
      lung ailment. Apparently the pod can be eaten if it is boiled twice
      in fresh water,"
      > For more information about the Milkweed:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkweed
      > "Some species are known to be toxic."
      > For futher Information Pleurisy Root being used for food and
      medcial action and uses
      > Pleurisy Root
      > http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pleuri52.html
      > Pleurisy Root
      > Botanical: Asclepias tuberose (LINN.)
      > Family: N.O. Asclepiadaceae
      > Synonyms---Butterfly-weed. Swallow-wort. Tuber Root. Wind Root.
      Colic Root. Orange Milkweed.
      > Part Used---Root.
      > Food use:"The Western Indians boil the tubers for food, prepare a
      crude sugar from the flowers and eat the young seed-pods, after
      boiling them, with buffalo meat. Some of the Canadian tribes use the
      young shoots as a potherb, after the manner of asparagus.
      > Medicinal Action and Uses---"Antispasmodic, diaphoretic,
      expectorant, tonic, carminative and mildly cathartic."
      > Thank You Daniel

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
        wrote:

        > Hello All: I came across this Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed
        article at:
        > http://mygardenguide.com/index.php?
        option=com_content&task=view&id=1109&Itemid=27  And found ou that is
        can be used for both medical an food use, which I was not aware of. I
        do know that the catterpillar of the Monarch Butterfly
        eates "Milkweed".
        > From what I understand is toxic, but the catterpiller does not seem
        to be effected by the toxion, I found out there are 2 birds, 5 mice,
        and possibly some insect/spiders able to eat the monarch's
        larvae/catterpiller/butterfly. "We don't know much about the insect
        predators"
        > Monarch Butterfly Information:
        > http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/MonarchNotes3.html
        > "Briefly, many insects (stink bugs, wasps, ambush bugs are some)
        eat monarchs. We don't know how they deal with the toxins.See the
        Monarch Watch homepage. We have a good section on this."
        > "The two bird species that eat monarchs in the Mexican
        overwintering colonies have probably evolved to be able to tolerate
        the toxins, and this is apparently true of the mice as well. Of five
        species of mice that are common around the overwintering sites in
        Mexico, only one eats monarchs
        > "Also known as pleurisy root, Native Americans chewed on the root
        of the butterfly weed, which was used as a remedy for pleurisy, a
        lung ailment. Apparently the pod can be eaten if it is boiled twice
        in fresh water,"
        > For more information about the Milkweed:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkweed
        > "Some species are known to be toxic."
        > For futher Information Pleurisy Root being used for food and
        medcial action and uses
        > Pleurisy Root
        > http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pleuri52.html
        > Pleurisy Root
        > Botanical: Asclepias tuberose (LINN.)
        > Family: N.O. Asclepiadaceae
        > Synonyms---Butterfly-weed. Swallow-wort. Tuber Root. Wind Root.
        Colic Root. Orange Milkweed.
        > Part Used---Root.
        > Food use:"The Western Indians boil the tubers for food, prepare a
        crude sugar from the flowers and eat the young seed-pods, after
        boiling them, with buffalo meat. Some of the Canadian tribes use the
        young shoots as a potherb, after the manner of asparagus.
        > Medicinal Action and Uses---"Antispasmodic, diaphoretic,
        expectorant, tonic, carminative and mildly cathartic."
        > Thank You Daniel

        In Ken Ferns book plants for a future he says U can eat Milkweed

        Brian

      • daniel wildman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
          Hi Brian: Thank You for your reply, an for the information that "In Ken Kerns book plants for the furture he says U can eat Milkweed" .  But for some of the sites I found there are over 140 know species of  "Milkweed". Some of them are "toxic"
          I aslo found several web sites that  mention that "Milkweed",  is "toxic" if eaten in large quantities. When you say "toxic or "poisonous" that does not mean it may result in death. But you could end up real sick, I know that to be ture. Thanks Dan
          More Wildweed Information:
          http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ASTU
          Warning: POISONOUS PARTS: Roots, plant sap from all parts. Not edible. Toxic only if eaten in large quantities. Symptoms include vomiting, stupor, weakness, spasms. Toxic Principle: Resinoid, cardiac glycoside. (Poisonous Plants of N.C.)
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkweed
          Asclepias L. (1753), the milkweeds, is a genus of herbaceous perennial, dicotyledonous plants that contains over 140 known species. It used to belong to the family Asclepiadaceae, but this is now classified as a subfamily Asclepiadoideae of the dogbane family Apocynaceae.
          Milkweeds are an important nectar source for bees and other nectar seeking insects, and a larval food source for monarch butterflies and their relatives, as well as a variety of other herbivorous insects (including numerous beetles, moths, and true bugs) specialized to feed on the plants despite their chemical defenses. Milkweed is named for its milky juice, which contains alkaloids, caoutchouc, and several other complex compounds including cardenolides. Some species are known to be toxic.