Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed

  • daniel wildman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hello All: I came across this Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed article at:
      http://mygardenguide.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1109&Itemid=27%c2%a0 And found ou that is can be used for both medical an food use, which I was not aware of. I do know that the catterpillar of the Monarch Butterfly eates "Milkweed".
      From what I understand is toxic, but the catterpiller does not seem to be effected by the toxion, I found out there are 2 birds, 5 mice, and possibly some insect/spiders able to eat the monarch's larvae/catterpiller/butterfly. "We don't know much about the insect predators"
      Monarch Butterfly Information:
      http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/MonarchNotes3.html
      "Briefly, many insects (stink bugs, wasps, ambush bugs are some) eat monarchs. We don't know how they deal with the toxins.See the Monarch Watch homepage. We have a good section on this."
      "The two bird species that eat monarchs in the Mexican overwintering colonies have probably evolved to be able to tolerate the toxins, and this is apparently true of the mice as well. Of five species of mice that are common around the overwintering sites in Mexico, only one eats monarchs
      "Also known as pleurisy root, Native Americans chewed on the root of the butterfly weed, which was used as a remedy for pleurisy, a lung ailment. Apparently the pod can be eaten if it is boiled twice in fresh water,"
      For more information about the Milkweed:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkweed
      "Some species are known to be toxic."
      For futher Information Pleurisy Root being used for food and medcial action and uses
      Pleurisy Root
      http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pleuri52.html
      Pleurisy Root
      Botanical: Asclepias tuberose (LINN.)
      Family: N.O. Asclepiadaceae
      Synonyms---Butterfly-weed. Swallow-wort. Tuber Root. Wind Root. Colic Root. Orange Milkweed.
      Part Used---Root.
      Food use:"The Western Indians boil the tubers for food, prepare a crude sugar from the flowers and eat the young seed-pods, after boiling them, with buffalo meat. Some of the Canadian tribes use the young shoots as a potherb, after the manner of asparagus.
      Medicinal Action and Uses---"Antispasmodic, diaphoretic, expectorant, tonic, carminative and mildly cathartic."
      Thank You Daniel
    • nerdnooky
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        Isn't that interesting! I just came across seeds for butterfly weed,
        or pleurisy root, and bought some mainly for the healing properties
        and the umbel-like, beneficial insect attracting flowers. Haven't
        had time to either look it up or plant it yet. (Thank you, Daniel,
        for finding these useful links!) Has anyone grown and/or used this
        herb? Are the seeds poisonous in raw form?

        Pluerisy is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs, such as
        pneumonia, causing a buildup of fluids in the lungs.

        Carol

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello All: I came across this Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed
        article at:
        > http://mygardenguide.com/index.php?
        option=com_content&task=view&id=1109&Itemid=27  And found ou that is
        can be used for both medical an food use, which I was not aware of. I
        do know that the catterpillar of the Monarch Butterfly
        eates "Milkweed".
        > From what I understand is toxic, but the catterpiller does not seem
        to be effected by the toxion, I found out there are 2 birds, 5 mice,
        and possibly some insect/spiders able to eat the monarch's
        larvae/catterpiller/butterfly. "We don't know much about the insect
        predators"
        > Monarch Butterfly Information:
        > http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/MonarchNotes3.html
        > "Briefly, many insects (stink bugs, wasps, ambush bugs are some)
        eat monarchs. We don't know how they deal with the toxins.See the
        Monarch Watch homepage. We have a good section on this."
        > "The two bird species that eat monarchs in the Mexican
        overwintering colonies have probably evolved to be able to tolerate
        the toxins, and this is apparently true of the mice as well. Of five
        species of mice that are common around the overwintering sites in
        Mexico, only one eats monarchs
        > "Also known as pleurisy root, Native Americans chewed on the root
        of the butterfly weed, which was used as a remedy for pleurisy, a
        lung ailment. Apparently the pod can be eaten if it is boiled twice
        in fresh water,"
        > For more information about the Milkweed:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkweed
        > "Some species are known to be toxic."
        > For futher Information Pleurisy Root being used for food and
        medcial action and uses
        > Pleurisy Root
        > http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pleuri52.html
        > Pleurisy Root
        > Botanical: Asclepias tuberose (LINN.)
        > Family: N.O. Asclepiadaceae
        > Synonyms---Butterfly-weed. Swallow-wort. Tuber Root. Wind Root.
        Colic Root. Orange Milkweed.
        > Part Used---Root.
        > Food use:"The Western Indians boil the tubers for food, prepare a
        crude sugar from the flowers and eat the young seed-pods, after
        boiling them, with buffalo meat. Some of the Canadian tribes use the
        young shoots as a potherb, after the manner of asparagus.
        > Medicinal Action and Uses---"Antispasmodic, diaphoretic,
        expectorant, tonic, carminative and mildly cathartic."
        > Thank You Daniel

      • Brian
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
          wrote:

          > Hello All: I came across this Pleurisy Root - Butterfly Weed
          article at:
          > http://mygardenguide.com/index.php?
          option=com_content&task=view&id=1109&Itemid=27  And found ou that is
          can be used for both medical an food use, which I was not aware of. I
          do know that the catterpillar of the Monarch Butterfly
          eates "Milkweed".
          > From what I understand is toxic, but the catterpiller does not seem
          to be effected by the toxion, I found out there are 2 birds, 5 mice,
          and possibly some insect/spiders able to eat the monarch's
          larvae/catterpiller/butterfly. "We don't know much about the insect
          predators"
          > Monarch Butterfly Information:
          > http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/MonarchNotes3.html
          > "Briefly, many insects (stink bugs, wasps, ambush bugs are some)
          eat monarchs. We don't know how they deal with the toxins.See the
          Monarch Watch homepage. We have a good section on this."
          > "The two bird species that eat monarchs in the Mexican
          overwintering colonies have probably evolved to be able to tolerate
          the toxins, and this is apparently true of the mice as well. Of five
          species of mice that are common around the overwintering sites in
          Mexico, only one eats monarchs
          > "Also known as pleurisy root, Native Americans chewed on the root
          of the butterfly weed, which was used as a remedy for pleurisy, a
          lung ailment. Apparently the pod can be eaten if it is boiled twice
          in fresh water,"
          > For more information about the Milkweed:
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkweed
          > "Some species are known to be toxic."
          > For futher Information Pleurisy Root being used for food and
          medcial action and uses
          > Pleurisy Root
          > http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pleuri52.html
          > Pleurisy Root
          > Botanical: Asclepias tuberose (LINN.)
          > Family: N.O. Asclepiadaceae
          > Synonyms---Butterfly-weed. Swallow-wort. Tuber Root. Wind Root.
          Colic Root. Orange Milkweed.
          > Part Used---Root.
          > Food use:"The Western Indians boil the tubers for food, prepare a
          crude sugar from the flowers and eat the young seed-pods, after
          boiling them, with buffalo meat. Some of the Canadian tribes use the
          young shoots as a potherb, after the manner of asparagus.
          > Medicinal Action and Uses---"Antispasmodic, diaphoretic,
          expectorant, tonic, carminative and mildly cathartic."
          > Thank You Daniel

          In Ken Ferns book plants for a future he says U can eat Milkweed

          Brian

        • daniel wildman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2008
            Hi Brian: Thank You for your reply, an for the information that "In Ken Kerns book plants for the furture he says U can eat Milkweed" .  But for some of the sites I found there are over 140 know species of  "Milkweed". Some of them are "toxic"
            I aslo found several web sites that  mention that "Milkweed",  is "toxic" if eaten in large quantities. When you say "toxic or "poisonous" that does not mean it may result in death. But you could end up real sick, I know that to be ture. Thanks Dan
            More Wildweed Information:
            http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ASTU
            Warning: POISONOUS PARTS: Roots, plant sap from all parts. Not edible. Toxic only if eaten in large quantities. Symptoms include vomiting, stupor, weakness, spasms. Toxic Principle: Resinoid, cardiac glycoside. (Poisonous Plants of N.C.)
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkweed
            Asclepias L. (1753), the milkweeds, is a genus of herbaceous perennial, dicotyledonous plants that contains over 140 known species. It used to belong to the family Asclepiadaceae, but this is now classified as a subfamily Asclepiadoideae of the dogbane family Apocynaceae.
            Milkweeds are an important nectar source for bees and other nectar seeking insects, and a larval food source for monarch butterflies and their relatives, as well as a variety of other herbivorous insects (including numerous beetles, moths, and true bugs) specialized to feed on the plants despite their chemical defenses. Milkweed is named for its milky juice, which contains alkaloids, caoutchouc, and several other complex compounds including cardenolides. Some species are known to be toxic.