Re: [pfaf] Wild Food Foraging

  • Tony Martin
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 15 11:58 PM
      Thanks for info, trouble is I have tried the link and it say it cannot
      be found. Any thoughts?

      Thanks
      Tony

      The Weed Lady wrote:

      > I think ya'll might be interested in this one: a free subscription to
      > the Wild Food Foragers of America email newsletter. It's FREE.
      >
      > The underlying message is awareness of and gratitude for the
      > abundance all around us, emersing ourselves in nature's gifts, and
      > empowerment toward self-reliance.
      >
      > The first issue comes out on April 21st, 2003 and will feature how to
      > identify, harvest, prepare, and store THISTLES, which are growing all
      > over the USA right now.
      >
      > Lots of info and photos will be presented on a different edible weed
      > every month, including a slide show, recipes, nutritional and
      > medicinal information, and links to other info.
      >
      > Please check it out at http://www.wildfoodforagers.org, and please
      > let your friends know about this opportunity to learn about and take
      > advantage of the bounty of delicious edible weeds at our feet.
      >
      > Standing knee deep in abundance!
      >
      > The Weed Lady
      >

      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
    • Tony Martin
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 15 11:59 PM
        The Weed Lady wrote:

        > I think ya'll might be interested in this one: a free subscription to
        > the Wild Food Foragers of America email newsletter. It's FREE.
        >
        > The underlying message is awareness of and gratitude for the
        > abundance all around us, emersing ourselves in nature's gifts, and
        > empowerment toward self-reliance.
        >
        > The first issue comes out on April 21st, 2003 and will feature how to
        > identify, harvest, prepare, and store THISTLES, which are growing all
        > over the USA right now.
        >
        > Lots of info and photos will be presented on a different edible weed
        > every month, including a slide show, recipes, nutritional and
        > medicinal information, and links to other info.
        >
        > Please check it out at http://www.wildfoodforagers.org, and please
        > let your friends know about this opportunity to learn about and take
        > advantage of the bounty of delicious edible weeds at our feet.
        >
        > Standing knee deep in abundance!
        >
        > The Weed Lady
        >

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      • The Weed Lady
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 18 7:29 AM
          Sorry about that. Try this link, which omits the comma at the end:

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Tony Martin <tony.martin11@n...> wrote:
          > Thanks for info, trouble is I have tried the link and it say it
          cannot
          > be found. Any thoughts?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Tony
          >
          > The Weed Lady wrote:
          >
          > > I think ya'll might be interested in this one: a free
          subscription to
          > > the Wild Food Foragers of America email newsletter. It's FREE.
          > >
          > > The underlying message is awareness of and gratitude for the
          > > abundance all around us, emersing ourselves in nature's gifts, and
          > > empowerment toward self-reliance.
          > >
          > > The first issue comes out on April 21st, 2003 and will feature
          how to
          > > identify, harvest, prepare, and store THISTLES, which are growing
          all
          > > over the USA right now.
          > >
          > > Lots of info and photos will be presented on a different edible
          weed
          > > every month, including a slide show, recipes, nutritional and
          > > medicinal information, and links to other info.
          > >
          > > Please check it out at http://www.wildfoodforagers.org, and please
          > > let your friends know about this opportunity to learn about and
          take
          > > advantage of the bounty of delicious edible weeds at our feet.
          > >
          > > Standing knee deep in abundance!
          > >
          > > The Weed Lady
        • Shannon Meeker
          Message 4 of 19 , May 27, 2003
            In the lower columbia river region, where I live, there was a story
            told about Skunk Cabbage being the little brother that kept the
            people alive before the Salmon people came. The roots are apparently
            edible, although not choice. The flowers could be cooked and eaten
            in small quantities, more making a person sick. The medicinal uses
            go on and on, but more information can be found in Erna Gunther's
            Ethnobotany of Western Washington. And it is also written about in
            Michael Moore's Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West. I love Skunk
            cabbage. It is such a wonder to enter it's sheltered streambed world
            in the early spring.
            --

            http://www.bramblehouse.org

            Registered Black Welsh Mountain Sheep
            Portable Custom Sawmilling Services

            Skamokawa, Washington
          • starwolfdreamer
            Message 5 of 19 , May 27, 2003
              Thank you all for your info which broadened my understanding. BB Caat
            • Anna Fraser
              Message 6 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                Hi, Don't know if  it's too late to add this. Here is a summary of my notes from (British) medical herbalists training. Have to add that I have never used the herb myself, as I preferred to use plants that are native British or which I've grown myself.

                Constituents: Volatile oil, resin, gums, sugars, acrid principle (never further identified scientifically as far as I'm aware), silica, iron, manganese.

                Main medicinal use was of the root -both the tuberous root and its rhizomes- (anti-spasmodic, expectorant, daiaphoretic, diuretic, emetic and mildly sedative properties).
                Main uses for this medicine were: Tense or spasmodic conditions of the respiratory system such as: Asthma, Bronchitis, Whooping cough, Irritable tight cough, Hayfever, Tightness in the chest. Has also been used for Fluid retention, Nervousness, Fevers and headaches.

                The MicMac Indians used the pungent smell (caused by the volatile oils) of crushed leaves to treat headaches simply by inhaling the smell.

                Doses are: 0.5 - 1 gram of the powdered root mixed  with a teaspoon of honey 3x a day.
                Fluid extract (1:1 in 25% alcohol): 0.5 - 1 ml 3x a day.
                Tincture (1:10 in 25% alcohol) 2-4 ml 3x a day.

                Cautions: The fresh herb and leaves can cause blistering of the skin. Larger doses can cause nausea and vomiting and may also have slightly narcotic symptoms (incl. dizziness, drowsiness, vertigo, etc.).
                The herb can cause kidney damage in wrong dosages.
                For all these reasons, I would avoid Skunk Cabbage for medicinal use in people who've had kidney conditions and in pregnancy and breast feeding.

                Love, Anna

                ---
              • Drakaika
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
                  My name is Andrea Cordone, and I live in Cordoba,
                  Argentina. I want some information about the follow
                  species: Bromus mollis, Holcus lanatus, Spergula
                  arvensis, Stelaria media... Are there edibles?
                  All these species was find in the stomach of European
                  mummys. The scientists find other species like Rumex
                  acetocella and Viola arvensis.

                  These species grown spontaneusly en Cordoba, La Pampa,
                  Buenos Aires and other areas of Argentina.

                  A kiss for all, and thank you,

                  Andrea Cordone

                  Yahoo! Sorteos - http://loteria.yahoo.es
                  Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa
                • Weed Lady
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
                    I can speak to the Stelaria Media, otherwise known as Common Chickweed, of
                    which I just did a research project on including lots of photos, which you
                    can read all about at www.wildfoodforagers.org/chickwd.htm It's considered a
                    "choice" edible, and has many medicinal properties as well. It's one of my
                    favorite wild foods, very versatile, delicious and highly nutritious.

                    www.wildfoodforagers.org

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
                      Dear Andrea,

                      Here is some information on those plants that I hope you find helpful.

                      Stellaria media.

                      This is probably he best edible from your list and also the most useful
                      plant there. Its edible uses are as follows:-

                      Young leaves - raw or cooked as a potherb[2, 7, 9, 12, 52, 54, 183]. They
                      can be available all year round if the winter is not too severe[85]. Very
                      nutritious, they can be added to salads whilst the cooked leaves can
                      scarcely be distinguished from spring spinach[4, K]. The leaves contain
                      saponins so some caution is advised, see the note on toxicity at the top of
                      the page. A nutritional analysis is available[218].
                      Seed - ground into a powder and used in making bread or to thicken
                      soups[172, 183]. It would be very fiddly to harvest any quantity of this
                      seed since it is produced in small quantities throughout most of the year
                      and is very small[K]. The seed contains 17.8% protein and 5.9% fat[218].

                      This is also an important medicinal plant, its qualities are listed below:-

                      Chickweed has a very long history of herbal use, being particularly
                      beneficial in the external treatment of any kind of itching skin
                      condition[238]. It has been known to soothe severe itchiness even where all
                      other remedies have failed[254]. In excess doses chickweed can cause
                      diarrhoea and vomiting[254]. It should not be used medicinally by pregnant
                      women[254].
                      The whole plant is astringent, carminative, demulcent, diuretic,
                      expectorant, laxative, refrigerant, vulnerary[4, 7, 9, 21, 54, 165, 222].
                      Taken internally it is useful in the treatment of chest complaints and in
                      small quantities it also aids digestion[254]. It can be applied as a
                      poultice and will relieve any kind of roseola and is effective wherever
                      there are fragile superficial veins[7]. An infusion of the fresh or dried
                      herb can be added to the bath water and its emollient property will help to
                      reduce inflammation - in rheumatic joints for example - and encourage tissue
                      repair[254]. Chickweed is best harvested between May and July, it can be
                      used fresh or be dried and stored for later use[4, 238].
                      A decoction of the whole plant is taken internally as a post-partum
                      depurative, emmenagogue, galactogogue and circulatory tonic[218]. It is also
                      believed to relieve constipation and be beneficial in the treatment of
                      kidney complaints[244]. The decoction is also used externally to treat
                      rheumatic pains, wounds and ulcers[4, 218, 222].
                      The expressed juice of the plant has been used as an eyewash[244].

                      Some care has to be taken with it, however, as the Cautions on the plant's
                      use indicate:-

                      The leaves contain saponins[7, 65]. Although toxic, these substances are
                      very poorly absorbed by the body and so tend to pass through without causing
                      harm. They are also broken down by thorough cooking. Saponins are found in
                      many plants, including several that are often used for food, such as certain
                      beans. It is advisable not to eat large quantities of food that contain
                      saponins. Saponins are much more toxic to some creatures, such as fish, and
                      hunting tribes have traditionally put large quantities of them in streams,
                      lakes etc in order to stupefy or kill the fish[K].

                      Spergula arvensis

                      This is also edible, but not many people would find it either appetizing or
                      productive enough to want to eat it. The details are as follows:-

                      Leaves and young plants[105]. No more details are given.
                      Seed - cooked. It can be dried and ground into a meal then used with flour
                      for making bread etc[2, 61, 106]. The seed is rich in oil[105]. A famine
                      food, it is only used when all else fails[177]. The seed contains saponins
                      so some caution is advised. See the notes above on toxicity.

                      Like the plant above, it contains saponins and so some caution is advised.

                      As regards Bromus mollis and Holcus lanatus, although these species do not
                      appear in the PFAF database, like virtually all grasses their seeds are
                      edible. However, I think it would be a very hungry and desperate person who
                      would try to get their food from plants such as these since the seeds are so
                      small and fiddly to harvest.

                      Methods were developed in the past, though, to harvest and utilize foods
                      from all different sources, including from a range of plants bearing small
                      seeds. It was very common for the so-called primitive peoples to collect
                      seeds from meadow-like environments, usually by women walking amongst the
                      plants carrying a large plate and a stick, using the stick to hit the plants
                      and dislodge the seeds which would then fall onto the plate. Whilst
                      individual seeds would have been very small and fiddly to harvest, it was
                      possible to harvest quite reasonable quantities which would then have been
                      ground into a powder and cooked together in a kind of mush. Very commonly it
                      would have been fermented to improve both its flavour and digestibility
                      prior to cooking. One of the simplest ways of doing this, practiced in many
                      areas of the world, was to spit into a paste made from the powdered seeds
                      and leave it in a warm place for a day or so. Don't ask me what it tasted
                      like, I've never really fancied food prepared in this way!!!!

                      By the way, of the other two plants you mentioned, Rumex acetosella makes an
                      excellent addition to the salad bowl and is also very productive.

                      Hope this is of some help to you. If you want to know more about a wide
                      range of useful plants then you can look them up in our on-line database at
                      www.pfaf.org.

                      My best wishes

                      Ken Fern

                      > My name is Andrea Cordone, and I live in Cordoba,
                      > Argentina. I want some information about the follow
                      > species: Bromus mollis, Holcus lanatus, Spergula
                      > arvensis, Stelaria media... Are there edibles?
                      > All these species was find in the stomach of European
                      > mummys. The scientists find other species like Rumex
                      > acetocella and Viola arvensis.
                      >
                      > These species grown spontaneusly en Cordoba, La Pampa,
                      > Buenos Aires and other areas of Argentina.
                      >
                      > A kiss for all, and thank you,
                      >
                      > Andrea Cordone

                    • Tony Martin
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
                        Hi, went to look at your site (Index page) but could not seem to find
                        links to other pages. Is it me? It looks very interesting and your posts
                        to the group seem very informative.

                        Many thanks

                        Tony

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                          Links are at the bottom, Page 2, Page 3, Chat Board. Hope you'll try again:

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                            Hi, I used the url pointing to the chickweed page, and found the links
                            you mentioned (thank you), but I still can't find any links from the page
                            http://www.wildfoodforagers.org/ to any other of your web pages. I
                            have checked with I.E. and Mozilla browsers.

                            Any thoughts appreciated.

                            Thanks again
                            Tony

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                              Tony, that page links to a sample newsletter. You have to subscribe to
                              reach additional issues like the one I sent you on Chickweed. Subscriptions
                              are free, though, and come once a month. Each issue features one edible
                              weed--this month it's Spiderwort, and comes out on the 21st. What's
                              different about my approach is getting to know one weed at a time, and the
                              slide show which is almost as if a mentor was out there with you gathering
                              the weeds, then bringing them in to the kitchen to process, cook, store.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                                Thanks for the info, I will add my name to the subscription list. I am
                                glad you told because otherwise I would have assumed the site was defunct.

                                Many thanks for what you are doing.

                                Cheers
                                Tony

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 11, 2003
                                  Thank you Ken!!!

                                  The information is usefull for me, because I´m
                                  teaching permaculture in Cordoba city.

                                  See you later in the cyberspace,

                                  Andrea

                                  PD (sorry for my english)

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 11, 2003
                                    Thanks for the web page,

                                    Best wishes

                                    Andrea

                                    Yahoo! Sorteos - http://loteria.yahoo.es
                                    Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa
                                  • charlywhat
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 12 7:46 AM
                                      I am having a lot of trouble trying to find out if skunk cabbage
                                      would be beneficial/detrimental, in the compost pile and at what %.
                                      And or using it as a mulch, does it leach any unwanted toxins? Why
                                      isn't` this, sometimes very abundant plant not utilized more?