Re: Elder flower champagne - word to the wise, make some!

  • Torrens (lists)
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
      In article <48611085.7040303@...>,
      Maggie Wallace <zen38947@...> wrote:
      > Hi there,

      > > So if you meet such an information giving site, a word of
      > > encouragement to the author is always appreciated!

      > Thank you from me too. Haven't managed to make Elder Flower Champagne
      > yet - life keeps getting in the way. (We have drunk it once, courtesy
      > of a friend - it's wonderful!) But if we don't manage this year, maybe
      > next year. ;-)

      > Will bookmark in case don't manage this year!

      The season is fast running out. Here in Cambridge, most elder flowers are
      over. This weekend is, I think, about the last chance this year.

      Elder flower champange is not only about the nicest hedgerow brew, it is
      also one that entails least work. We wife and I have, in the past, made
      many delicious wines - but modern life does get in the way! Maybe again
      when I retire in a few years!

      I suspect the same method could be used with other flowers, rose-petals,
      clover.

      Are there any home-brewers here that would be interested in further
      thoughts?

      --
      Richard Torrens, Cambridgeshire, England - Food For Free
      WWW site : http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
        The elder flower champagne fizzes because of the natural yeast in the blossoms, so the method would not work with rose petals.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
          In article
          <20080625091107.DCDU18637.aamtaout04-winn.ispmail.ntl.com@...>,
          <v.franks@...> wrote:
          > The elder flower champagne fizzes because of the natural yeast in the
          > blossoms, so the method would not work with rose petals.

          tut, tut, tut. Yeast spores float in the atmosphere, with pollen,
          bacteria, fungal spores etc and settles onto the blossoms.

          As I pointed out on the page, relying on the natural yeast spores can be
          unreliable. Far more predictable to use commerciaol yeast.

          --
          Richard Torrens, Cambridgeshire, England - Food For Free
          WWW site : http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/
        • manofpeace32
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
            First off about vintiing champange(or spakling wine)
            (accualy true champgne is from Champagne France but screw all thiose
            laws)
            alot more steps are taken(I have a link(s)
            For example riddling
            That is where the bottles are in a wine rack upside down
            This gathers (lees) or sediment if you don't know the termonology

            they do this because you have to shoot out the sediment
            (called degorging)
            while upside down , and replace it with more wine(and or Brandy)
            then the y do that(degorging) again

            I could go on and on

            I read the recipe they add vinegar (might AS WELL ADD BAKING SODA
            when you serve it._
            while if it is distilled with no bacteria, no harm , but with
            bacteria it will turn the wine to acitic acid (vinegar)
            (I say acitic acid because the alcohol may be high enough( I mean a
            high content wine) to change the hole batch or lower to change it,
            but AS FAR AS I KNOW it will have trace amounts.
            (Im prettty coffident it would even have trace amounts if left for a
            week or month before adding CULTERED vinegar to a wine with a high
            alcohol conten)

            (alot of different ways to do things As far as I know maybe this
            recipe tastes very good
            Im not sure how fizzy it'd be compared to sparkling wine
            what I mean is maybe you could carbonate it like beer
            (add sugar, and seal up the bottle)
            in a keg or plastic food grade jug ----
            sorry for babling, but Warning on the food grade plastic I have drank
            wine not stored long, and had breathing problems (PLASTIC CODE PETE
            or GATORADE bottles -- I think PET bottles might not be harmful
            though, but gave up on plastic)

            Now about Champagne I could share, but Im sure it would be easyer to
            search
            also
            I know that you could accualy skip the part of degorging with these
            bags that are porious (used for Dialysis)
            they swell up and then yeast microrganizims are tiny enough to
            ferment it but not leave it cloudy.

            I could get more info on it, but Im busy,
            OK I modifyed this and surpricingly found the Dialysis sparkling link
            very easly
            http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/2033/dialysis.html

            a easy example (of chorse alot of differeent ways to do it.
            http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/process/pages/champagne-
            cover.html

            I have a more complex link
            http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/viticulture/463-017/463-017.html