RE: Fruitipedia - open source?

  • Alastair McGowan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2008
      Yes I do agree that the open source paradigm can admit factual errors and
      this is a serious negative - however, the power of thousands of people
      perhaps many more, in their contributions and checking and discussion based
      on empiricism can correct these errors over time. And of course you can
      correct them yourself.

      Anyone making persistent factual errors tends to be countered by the open
      academic basis of the medium. In any case - a few errors are the very stuff
      of a natural organic process (cf. evolutionary principles), precision is the
      way of non-natural and non-human mechanistic culture that we are generally
      trying to move away from.

      Members can be vetted - perhaps initially limited to those with an academic
      or other authoritative background. There are many ways in which a degree of
      central control can be maintained akin to Arthur Koestlers idea of Panarchy,
      e.g. an editorial class similar to Wikipedia's new approach.

      However, the most powerful aspect of open source is the sense of
      participation and 'ownership' which can create a mass movement which directs
      social power to your cause - and which creates content which a centralised
      system can only achieve by using many times more energy and focus - if you
      have that energy and focus then I applaud your efforts since this is an
      immense challenge

      My own background is organisational psychology, human ecology, consciousness
      and complex systems

      I hope you will revist the idea of Open Source from time to time. In the
      meantime, if I have any content from my local plant knowledge I will
      certainly contribute it.

      Best Regards

      Alastair McGowan

      _____