Elderberry flower cordial - word to the wise, make some!

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
    • Torrens (lists)
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 17, 2008
        In article <g38do9+725a@...>,
        Jim <cromlech108@...> wrote:
        > http://www.patch-work.demon.co.uk/elder.htm

        > Very nice!

        > Blessed be!

        There are several excellent drinks to be made from elderflower. Cordial,
        wine, champagne.

        There are several recipes in Roger Philips' Wild Food book

        My favourite is elderflower champagne. Takes about 2 weeks fromn start to
        drink.

        If anyone wants the recipe, it could be arranged.

        --
        Richard Torrens, Cambridgeshire, England - Food For Free
        WWW site : http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 21, 2008
          Hello I am interested in the recipes...please let me know...also if
          anyone is intereted in writing an article or blogging on this site
          www.bravegreenlife.org please let me know it is just starting. You
          could have your own topic and section if you like.
          Take care! Lorie

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2008
            In article <g3jl4m+qnki@...>,
            im_chatt <Brave.life.earth@...> wrote:
            > Hello I am interested in the recipes...please let me know...

            A quick writeup...

            It's at
            http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/fruits/Sambucus.html

            --
            Richard Torrens, Cambridgeshire, England - Food For Free
            WWW site : http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/
          • tina marie burns
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 23, 2008
              Thank you, that is most helpful.  That is a wonderful and very interresting site!!!

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 24, 2008
                http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF
                http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/fruits/Sambucus.html

                In article <193687.91837.qm@...>,
                tina marie burns <ttatting62@...> wrote:
                > Thank you, that is most helpful. That is a wonderful and very
                > interresting site!!!

                Thanks.

                The fruits section was added with the express intention of helping Dr.
                Chiranjit Parmar ( www.fruitipedia.com ) to whom I had offered technical
                help. He however is too rude to even have answered my emails offering this
                assistance, so I do not know what he requires. Somewhat de-motivating, so
                your feedback is morale-boosting!

                There is no way this is ever going to be another 'catalogue' site. Too
                many of those exist already (though few compete with www.pfaf.org )

                So I'm aiming to give it interest, unusual photos etc.

                As such it if good to get feedback. I can tell from the www logs how many
                has viewed the site, but without active comments I cannot tell whether the
                downloader has simply looked, been unimpressed and gone elsewhere, or has
                enjoyed it.

                So if you meet such an information giving site, a word of encouragement to
                the author is always appreciated!

                --
                Richard Torrens, Cambridgeshire, England - Food For Free
                WWW site : http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/
              • Maggie Wallace
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 24, 2008
                  Hi there,

                  > So if you meet such an information giving site, a word of encouragement to
                  > the author is always appreciated!

                  Thank you from me too. Haven't managed to make Elder Flower Champagne
                  yet - life keeps getting in the way. (We have drunk it once, courtesy
                  of a friend - it's wonderful!) But if we don't manage this year, maybe
                  next year. ;-)

                  Will bookmark in case don't manage this year!

                  Thank you again,

                  Maggie
                  Mainly in Liverpool (UK), but sometimes in Abersoch (North Wales)
                • Torrens (lists)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
                    In article <48611085.7040303@...>,
                    Maggie Wallace <zen38947@...> wrote:
                    > Hi there,

                    > > So if you meet such an information giving site, a word of
                    > > encouragement to the author is always appreciated!

                    > Thank you from me too. Haven't managed to make Elder Flower Champagne
                    > yet - life keeps getting in the way. (We have drunk it once, courtesy
                    > of a friend - it's wonderful!) But if we don't manage this year, maybe
                    > next year. ;-)

                    > Will bookmark in case don't manage this year!

                    The season is fast running out. Here in Cambridge, most elder flowers are
                    over. This weekend is, I think, about the last chance this year.

                    Elder flower champange is not only about the nicest hedgerow brew, it is
                    also one that entails least work. We wife and I have, in the past, made
                    many delicious wines - but modern life does get in the way! Maybe again
                    when I retire in a few years!

                    I suspect the same method could be used with other flowers, rose-petals,
                    clover.

                    Are there any home-brewers here that would be interested in further
                    thoughts?

                    --
                  • v.franks@ntlworld.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
                      The elder flower champagne fizzes because of the natural yeast in the blossoms, so the method would not work with rose petals.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
                        In article
                        <20080625091107.DCDU18637.aamtaout04-winn.ispmail.ntl.com@...>,
                        <v.franks@...> wrote:
                        > The elder flower champagne fizzes because of the natural yeast in the
                        > blossoms, so the method would not work with rose petals.

                        tut, tut, tut. Yeast spores float in the atmosphere, with pollen,
                        bacteria, fungal spores etc and settles onto the blossoms.

                        As I pointed out on the page, relying on the natural yeast spores can be
                        unreliable. Far more predictable to use commerciaol yeast.

                        --
                        Richard Torrens, Cambridgeshire, England - Food For Free
                        WWW site : http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/
                      • manofpeace32
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                          First off about vintiing champange(or spakling wine)
                          (accualy true champgne is from Champagne France but screw all thiose
                          laws)
                          alot more steps are taken(I have a link(s)
                          For example riddling
                          That is where the bottles are in a wine rack upside down
                          This gathers (lees) or sediment if you don't know the termonology

                          they do this because you have to shoot out the sediment
                          (called degorging)
                          while upside down , and replace it with more wine(and or Brandy)
                          then the y do that(degorging) again

                          I could go on and on

                          I read the recipe they add vinegar (might AS WELL ADD BAKING SODA
                          when you serve it._
                          while if it is distilled with no bacteria, no harm , but with
                          bacteria it will turn the wine to acitic acid (vinegar)
                          (I say acitic acid because the alcohol may be high enough( I mean a
                          high content wine) to change the hole batch or lower to change it,
                          but AS FAR AS I KNOW it will have trace amounts.
                          (Im prettty coffident it would even have trace amounts if left for a
                          week or month before adding CULTERED vinegar to a wine with a high
                          alcohol conten)

                          (alot of different ways to do things As far as I know maybe this
                          recipe tastes very good
                          Im not sure how fizzy it'd be compared to sparkling wine
                          what I mean is maybe you could carbonate it like beer
                          (add sugar, and seal up the bottle)
                          in a keg or plastic food grade jug ----
                          sorry for babling, but Warning on the food grade plastic I have drank
                          wine not stored long, and had breathing problems (PLASTIC CODE PETE
                          or GATORADE bottles -- I think PET bottles might not be harmful
                          though, but gave up on plastic)

                          Now about Champagne I could share, but Im sure it would be easyer to
                          search
                          also
                          I know that you could accualy skip the part of degorging with these
                          bags that are porious (used for Dialysis)
                          they swell up and then yeast microrganizims are tiny enough to
                          ferment it but not leave it cloudy.

                          I could get more info on it, but Im busy,
                          OK I modifyed this and surpricingly found the Dialysis sparkling link
                          very easly
                          http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/2033/dialysis.html

                          a easy example (of chorse alot of differeent ways to do it.
                          http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/webcasts/process/pages/champagne-
                          cover.html

                          I have a more complex link
                          http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/viticulture/463-017/463-017.html