Re: Fruit and vegetable extinction figures needed

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2003
      Dear Brenda,
      > I need to find out which varieties of common fruits and vegetables
      > became extinct during the twentieth century, and some possible reasons
      > for this. I read recently that around 97% of varieties have
      > disappeared. Is this accurate?

      I'm afraid I don't know myself. However I'm passing the message onto
      the PFAF electronic mailing list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfaf
      hopefully someone there might be able to help.

      All the best

      Rich

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2003

        Rich, I don't know the answer, but I would be interested in learning what those numbers are. Thanks for asking a very interesting question. David

         Richard Morris <webmaster@...> wrote:

        Dear Brenda,
        > I need to find out which varieties of common fruits and vegetables
        > became extinct during the twentieth century, and some possible reasons
        > for this. I read recently that around 97% of varieties have
        > disappeared. Is this accurate?

        I'm afraid I don't know myself. However I'm passing the message onto
        the PFAF electronic mailing list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfaf
        hopefully someone there might be able to help.

              All the best

                    Rich

        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Web:   http://www.pfaf.org/ same as http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/
        Post:  1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
        Tel:      01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
        Email: webmaster@...

        Do you Yahoo!?