Re: Pickled walnuts

  • Torrens (lists)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
      In article <003501c8c60e$eed3aa30$4001a8c0@MAIN00>,
      Mary Lloyd <mary@...> wrote:
      > I found my little walnut tree in a pot hidden in the garden, struggling
      > but still alive. It seems to be doing well since I planted it out. Do
      > you need 2 trees to get a crop, and how long is it til they begin to
      > produce? If I haven't "bonsai'd" it too far by neglect, that is.

      > I love pickled walnuts, mm mm.

      Walnuts are wind pollinated.

      I included pollination details on the www page as it's information not
      usually given.
      http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/fruits/JuglansRegia.html

      Male flowers open first, then, quite a few days later after the male
      flowers have fallen off, the female flowers open. So the liklihood is that
      a distant tree will pollinate, maybe from thousands of miles away!

      I'm talking with Dr. Chiranjit Parmar about possibly helping with
      Fruitipedia.com and this page is something of a template suggestion so any
      feedback about the headings etc could be useful.

      --
      Richard Torrens, Cambridgeshire, England - Food For Free
      WWW site : http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/