Re: [pfaf] Cranberries Goji Berries

  • Diane Lee Long
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hello Wild Willowkins,

      Could you please walk me through you germinated the Goji Berries, Please?

      Thanks,

      Diane

      wildwillowkins <wildwillowkins@...> wrote:
      This is one I have had rather less success with germinating than goji
      or kiwi fruits.

      I bought a pack of fresh cranberries last autumn, and realised that
      they are actually pomes, like apples, rather than true berries.

      I cleaned out seeds from some, split others and let yet more get over
      ripe and rot into the compost in a seed tray.

      Some of the cleaned out ones I put in the freezer in case they needed
      frost to trigger their gemination capacity. (I found that with Sweet
      Fern, Sweet Cicely, they will only germinate if they have experienced
      a frost, fresh seed just won't do it.)

      I have so far only one seed come up that might be a cranberry, there
      were some annual weeds that had crept into the seed tray but I'm
      pretty sure none of them were cranberries.

      The one that has come up so far looks like a miniature apple seedling,
      with elongated dicotyleda. It is about a centimeter tall so far. I
      hope this is what I think it is and not some other wild seed that has
      blown in, but it is thicker and stronger than the annual weeds which
      were only on the surface, and is coming up a bit like the kiwis (but
      different shape, so it's not an accidental cross seeding.)

      If anyone has any experience of germinating cranberries I should be
      most grateful to hear about them. I could look on the net, but after
      some of the tosh I have read about germinating gojis I would rather
      get it first hand from someone who has done it than from some remote
      source that is probably trying to sell me their own plants!

      I will post about my own seeds when there is more to say.

      Regards,

      Willowkins

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
        No problems my experience,
        but remember
        they are living in wet, acit peaty bogs,
        so they have to be germinated in 101 % humidity,
        low temperature,
        acid peat !
        Cold stratifying has beene done.

        Geir Flatabø

        2008/6/2 wildwillowkins <wildwillowkins@...>:

        > This is one I have had rather less success with germinating than goji
        > or kiwi fruits.
        >
        > I bought a pack of fresh cranberries last autumn, and realised that
        > they are actually pomes, like apples, rather than true berries.
        >
        > I cleaned out seeds from some, split others and let yet more get over
        > ripe and rot into the compost in a seed tray.
        >
        > Some of the cleaned out ones I put in the freezer in case they needed
        > frost to trigger their gemination capacity. (I found that with Sweet
        > Fern, Sweet Cicely, they will only germinate if they have experienced
        > a frost, fresh seed just won't do it.)
        >
        > I have so far only one seed come up that might be a cranberry, there
        > were some annual weeds that had crept into the seed tray but I'm
        > pretty sure none of them were cranberries.
        >
        > The one that has come up so far looks like a miniature apple seedling,
        > with elongated dicotyleda. It is about a centimeter tall so far. I
        > hope this is what I think it is and not some other wild seed that has
        > blown in, but it is thicker and stronger than the annual weeds which
        > were only on the surface, and is coming up a bit like the kiwis (but
        > different shape, so it's not an accidental cross seeding.)
        >
        > If anyone has any experience of germinating cranberries I should be
        > most grateful to hear about them. I could look on the net, but after
        > some of the tosh I have read about germinating gojis I would rather
        > get it first hand from someone who has done it than from some remote
        > source that is probably trying to sell me their own plants!
        >
        > I will post about my own seeds when there is more to say.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Willowkins

      • wildwillowkins
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hey Geir,

          Thanks for that, will give them lots of rainwater and keep them in the
          shade.

          Regards,

          Willowkins

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Geir Flatabø" <geirf@...> wrote:

          > No problems my experience,
          > but remember
          > they are living in wet, acit peaty bogs,
          > so they have to be germinated in 101 % humidity,
          > low temperature,
          > acid peat !
          > Cold stratifying has beene done.
          >
          > Geir Flatabø
          >
          > 2008/6/2 wildwillowkins <wildwillowkins@...>:
          >
          > > This is one I have had rather less success with germinating than
          > > goji or kiwi fruits.
          > >
          > > I bought a pack of fresh cranberries last autumn, and realised
          > > that they are actually pomes, like apples, rather than true
          > > berries.
          > > I cleaned out seeds from some, split others and let yet more get
          > > over ripe and rot into the compost in a seed tray.
          > >
          > > Some of the cleaned out ones I put in the freezer in case they
          > > needed frost to trigger their gemination capacity. (I found that
          > > with Sweet Fern, Sweet Cicely, they will only germinate if they
          > > have experienced a frost, fresh seed just won't do it.)
          > >
          > > I have so far only one seed come up that might be a cranberry,
          > > were some annual weeds that had crept into the seed tray but I'm
          > > pretty sure none of them were cranberries.
          > >
          > > The one that has come up so far looks like a miniature apple
          > > seedling, with elongated dicotyleda. It is about a centimeter
          > > tall so far. I hope this is what I think it is and not some other
          > > wild seed that hasblown in, but it is thicker and stronger than
          > > the annual weeds which were only on the surface, and is coming up
          > > a bit like the kiwis (but different shape, so it's not an
          > > accidental cross seeding.)
          > > If anyone has any experience of germinating cranberries I should
          > > be most grateful to hear about them. I could look on the net, but
          > > after some of the tosh I have read about germinating gojis I would
          > > rather get it first hand from someone who has done it than from
          > > some remote source that is probably trying to sell me their own
          > > plants!
          > > I will post about my own seeds when there is more to say.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Willowkins
        • Hilary Robinson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
            I've never tried growing cranberries from seed, but the plants are sometimes available from garden centres in the UK. You only need to buy one, because they rapidly sprawl and spread, rooting here and there along the wiry stems, and can new plants can easily be grown by pegging stems down into pots of soil.
            Regards, Hilary (Cheshire, UK)

            To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
              What company sells the cranberry seeds, and do you know the website?
              Thanx.