Following my success in germinating gojis last year I tried it with
Kiwi fruit this year since I heard that a model farm nearby has a
mature bush/tree which bears fruit, and so the climate is
satisfactory. New Zealand has a similar climate to England, possibly
more severe winters in places so they should be suitable for local
growing here in Yorkshire.
The first batch got mouldy because of the pulp which remained on the
seeds. I did a second batch which I dried out, and then laboriously
removed the dried pulp fromm a pile of perhaps a hundred or more
seeds. This took ages. The dried pulp is extremely sticky, almost
rubbery, but it is possible to get the seeds out of it, you just have
to give yourself an hour or so to do the job.
I spread them out in a seed tray and covered them lightly with sandy
That was about a month ago and I had just about given up on them when
a few days ago little sprouts started appearing. I have kept the tray
indoors on a window sill to protect them from slugs etc.
I now have almost twenty, the most advanced is only about a centimeter
tall with round dicotyleda a few millimters in size. More are coming
up each day, so I think that as long as I look after them I should get
a few viable plants.
The seed was taken from fruit bought in the local greengrocer's.
Give it a try!