Kiwi Fruit

  • wildwillowkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Following my success in germinating gojis last year I tried it with
      Kiwi fruit this year since I heard that a model farm nearby has a
      mature bush/tree which bears fruit, and so the climate is
      satisfactory. New Zealand has a similar climate to England, possibly
      more severe winters in places so they should be suitable for local
      growing here in Yorkshire.

      The first batch got mouldy because of the pulp which remained on the
      seeds. I did a second batch which I dried out, and then laboriously
      removed the dried pulp fromm a pile of perhaps a hundred or more
      seeds. This took ages. The dried pulp is extremely sticky, almost
      rubbery, but it is possible to get the seeds out of it, you just have
      to give yourself an hour or so to do the job.

      I spread them out in a seed tray and covered them lightly with sandy
      compost.

      That was about a month ago and I had just about given up on them when
      a few days ago little sprouts started appearing. I have kept the tray
      indoors on a window sill to protect them from slugs etc.

      I now have almost twenty, the most advanced is only about a centimeter
      tall with round dicotyleda a few millimters in size. More are coming
      up each day, so I think that as long as I look after them I should get
      a few viable plants.

      The seed was taken from fruit bought in the local greengrocer's.

      Give it a try!

      Willowkins