Re: Goji Berries

  • wildwillowkins
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi,

      I have only had the dried ones so far, they are rather more of a
      savory flavour than most berries, almost salty.

      I have only used them in muesli and seed and nut mixes so far, but I
      guess you could add them to a lot of things, even cook them in stews
      or curries I guess.

      Some people don't like them, mostly I think because the flavour is
      perhaps a bit unusual to the northern European palate, but they are a
      high quality food source with more amino acids than your average berry
      fruit as well as being high in vitamin C and others.

      When the impending catastropbe hits full on people will realise that a
      reliable food source like this is worth having around. It's like
      artichokes. Some people don't like the flavour because they think it
      is too strong, but they are a really reliable crop.

      People in the west are so encultured to sweet and bland things that
      are totally predictable that they turn their noses up at anything
      different which challenges the palate. In past times our forebears
      would have taken a more positive attitude to resources such as these.

      Regards,

      Willowkins

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "nerdnooky" <nerdnooky@...> wrote:

      > But what do they taste like? And what can you do with them?
      > thanx.
      >
      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "wildwillowkins" <wildwillowkins@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > Following a post about goji berries this time last year I germinated
      > > some seeds and have had reasonable success.

    • Julie Bruton-Seal
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
        Fresh, the berries taste like persimmon to me - very sweet, but with
        that little something solanaceous about them.

        Julie

        Julie Bruton-Seal BSc MAMH MGNI
        Editor of Nature's Path
        Co-author of Hedgerow Medicine