Re: Goji Berries

  • nerdnooky
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
      But what do they taste like? And what can you do with them?
      thanx.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "wildwillowkins" <wildwillowkins@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Following a post about goji berries this time last year I germinated
      > some seeds and have had reasonable success.
    • wildwillowkins
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hi,

        I have only had the dried ones so far, they are rather more of a
        savory flavour than most berries, almost salty.

        I have only used them in muesli and seed and nut mixes so far, but I
        guess you could add them to a lot of things, even cook them in stews
        or curries I guess.

        Some people don't like them, mostly I think because the flavour is
        perhaps a bit unusual to the northern European palate, but they are a
        high quality food source with more amino acids than your average berry
        fruit as well as being high in vitamin C and others.

        When the impending catastropbe hits full on people will realise that a
        reliable food source like this is worth having around. It's like
        artichokes. Some people don't like the flavour because they think it
        is too strong, but they are a really reliable crop.

        People in the west are so encultured to sweet and bland things that
        are totally predictable that they turn their noses up at anything
        different which challenges the palate. In past times our forebears
        would have taken a more positive attitude to resources such as these.

        Regards,

        Willowkins

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "nerdnooky" <nerdnooky@...> wrote:

        > But what do they taste like? And what can you do with them?
        > thanx.
        >
        > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "wildwillowkins" <wildwillowkins@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > > Following a post about goji berries this time last year I germinated
        > > some seeds and have had reasonable success.

      • Julie Bruton-Seal
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
          Fresh, the berries taste like persimmon to me - very sweet, but with
          that little something solanaceous about them.

          Julie

          Julie Bruton-Seal BSc MAMH MGNI
          Editor of Nature's Path
          Co-author of Hedgerow Medicine