Re: Goji Berries

  • wildwillowkins
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2008
      I'm inclined to agree with you!

      Willlowkins

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:

      > On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:28:40 -0000, you wrote:
      >

      > >I shall contact DEFRA at the start of the week, but in the meantime > I
      > >shall not be ripping out and burning the plants that I have put so
      > >much time and energy into. The details of the scare seem to be
      > >extremely vague and without definite confirmation that seed from
      > >Chinese berries is contaminated I intend to keep them growing.
      > >

      > Personally, I'd certainly leave well enough alone, and not contact
      > them.
      > Pat
      > --
      > Northern Pennsylvania
      >
      > CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
      > http://www.thehungersite.com/

    • wildwillowkins
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2008
        Thanks Carol :-)

        Willowkins

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "C. Widger" <EdgeGardener@...> wrote:

        > There is little chance that a seed from a dried fruit contains any
        > imported plant pathogens. Fruit grow around the seed, in part, to
        > protect or divert pests from the prize.
        > For example,here in California, it is illegal to import or carry
        > over the border from another state, any fruit tree or plant
        > material that has not been certified. Seeds carry no such
        > restrictions. Deseases and pests hide in the leaves, stems, roots
        > and soils, not the seeds.
        > I wouldn't worry about your little plants.
        > lc carol
        >

        > Pat Meadows wrote:
        > >
        > > On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:28:40 -0000, you wrote:
        > >

        > > >I shall contact DEFRA at the start of the week, but in the
        > > >meantime I shall not be ripping out and burning the plants that I
        > > >have put so much time and energy into. The details of the scare
        > > >seem to be extremely vague and without definite confirmation that
        > > >seed from Chinese berries is contaminated I intend to keep them
        > > >growing.
        > >
        > > Personally, I'd certainly leave well enough alone, and not contact
        > > them.
        > >
        > > Pat
        > > --
        > > Northern Pennsylvania
        > >
        > > CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
        > > http://www.thehungersite.com/ <http://www.thehungersite.com/>

      • nerdnooky
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2008
          But what do they taste like? And what can you do with them?
          thanx.

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "wildwillowkins" <wildwillowkins@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          > Following a post about goji berries this time last year I germinated
          > some seeds and have had reasonable success.
        • wildwillowkins
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
            Hi,

            I have only had the dried ones so far, they are rather more of a
            savory flavour than most berries, almost salty.

            I have only used them in muesli and seed and nut mixes so far, but I
            guess you could add them to a lot of things, even cook them in stews
            or curries I guess.

            Some people don't like them, mostly I think because the flavour is
            perhaps a bit unusual to the northern European palate, but they are a
            high quality food source with more amino acids than your average berry
            fruit as well as being high in vitamin C and others.

            When the impending catastropbe hits full on people will realise that a
            reliable food source like this is worth having around. It's like
            artichokes. Some people don't like the flavour because they think it
            is too strong, but they are a really reliable crop.

            People in the west are so encultured to sweet and bland things that
            are totally predictable that they turn their noses up at anything
            different which challenges the palate. In past times our forebears
            would have taken a more positive attitude to resources such as these.

            Regards,

            Willowkins

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "nerdnooky" <nerdnooky@...> wrote:

            > But what do they taste like? And what can you do with them?
            > thanx.
            >
            > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "wildwillowkins" <wildwillowkins@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > > Following a post about goji berries this time last year I germinated
            > > some seeds and have had reasonable success.

          • Julie Bruton-Seal
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008
              Fresh, the berries taste like persimmon to me - very sweet, but with
              that little something solanaceous about them.

              Julie

              Julie Bruton-Seal BSc MAMH MGNI
              Editor of Nature's Path
              Co-author of Hedgerow Medicine