Re: Yatza Gungu?

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
      I think I may have found the Funus you are looking for take a look:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_caterpillar_fungus
      there were some others I found too, but this seemed the closest> Dan

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > I was watching a TV programme called Wild China last night, when
      they spoke about a kind of fungus that is highly prized and grows in
      the mountains. The curious thing was, is appeared to grow from the body
      of a caterpillar which it had infected...you could still see the wee
      beastie at its below-ground base.
      > It sounded to me like they called it Yatza Gungu.....but I can't
      find that on the internet. If anyone has info please pass it along.
      > Ta!
      > Love, Whinnie

    • daniel wildman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
        Hello Whinnie: I sent a reply but it ddint seem to get posted anyway i did a seach an found this site:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_caterpillar_fungus
        From what you have posted this sounded like the fungus that grows on the China caterpillar, There were some other sites, but this seem to be the best, but check it out for your self. I hope this is what you are looking for. Thank You Dan

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
          Thank you so much! What an interesting phenomenon. The Tibetan herdsman whose animals grazed on this fungus noticed that they were more healthy and vigorous, even the old ones. Some of the info you posted for me says that studies have shown its usefulness in medicine in significant human disease. One wonders why, with the wealth of natural medicine that exists, the health service continues to mis-invest in the drug industry.

          I remember reading years ago, that Chinese doctors only ever got paid when their patients became well. It accounts for their wonderful reputation historically in the healing arts. I wonder what would happen if Western governments imposed the same rule on our doctors?! Could be a few red faces around the place!

          Love, Whinnie
          > I was watching a TV programme called Wild China last night, when they
          > spoke about a kind of fungus that is highly prized and grows in the
          > mountains. The curious thing was, is appeared to grow from the body of a
          > caterpillar which it had infected...you could still see the wee beastie
          > at its below-ground base.

          > It sounded to me like they called it Yatza Gungu.....but I can't find
          > that on the internet. If anyone has info please pass it along. Ta!
          > Love, Whinnie

          The fungus concerned is a cordyceps.
          http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=cordyceps&spell=1

          There are loads of cordyceps fungi, each parasitic on a different host. I
          suspect the obne concernesd is Cordyceps sinensis

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps has much to say.

        • wildwillowkins
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
            >--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:
            >
            > One wonders why, with the wealth of natural medicine that exists, the
            > health service continues to mis-invest in the drug industry.
            >
            > Love, Whinnie

            I think lobbying from strong moneyed interests has a little bit to do
            with this! It's not about what is best, it's about how much money you
            can make:-(

            Willowkins
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
              The fungus is growing in a living insect by keeping the immune system back.

              This property is used in Sandimmun, that is made from a Cordyceps - first
              time found as Tolypocladus inflatus ( in Norway) , and was the start of
              the transplantation era in "Modern Western Medicine".

              Ergot is a fungus of the same group, related to Cordyceps making Ergotism...

              Just to warn you , Cordyceps. fungi is heavy stuff.

              Geir FLatabø

              2008/6/2 wildwillowkins <wildwillowkins@...>:

              > >--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > One wonders why, with the wealth of natural medicine that exists, the
              > > health service continues to mis-invest in the drug industry.
              > >
              > > Love, Whinnie
              >
              > I think lobbying from strong moneyed interests has a little bit to do
              > with this! It's not about what is best, it's about how much money you
              > can make:-(
              >
              > Willowkins

            • Mary Lloyd
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
                Thanks Dan and all for your responses, I had no idea these fungi existed before seeing the TV programme. Yartsa Gunbu! so thats what it is....many thanks.
                Love, Whinnie