Re: Yatza Gungu?

  • Torrens (lists)
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
      In article <000801c8c3c0$22763b10$4001a8c0@MAIN00>,
      Mary Lloyd <mary@...> wrote:
      > Hello all,

      > I was watching a TV programme called Wild China last night, when they
      > spoke about a kind of fungus that is highly prized and grows in the
      > mountains. The curious thing was, is appeared to grow from the body of a
      > caterpillar which it had infected...you could still see the wee beastie
      > at its below-ground base.

      > It sounded to me like they called it Yatza Gungu.....but I can't find
      > that on the internet. If anyone has info please pass it along. Ta!
      > Love, Whinnie

      The fungus concerned is a cordyceps.
      http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=cordyceps&spell=1

      There are loads of cordyceps fungi, each parasitic on a different host. I
      suspect the obne concernesd is Cordyceps sinensis

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps has much to say.
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
        I think I may have found the Funus you are looking for take a look:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_caterpillar_fungus
        there were some others I found too, but this seemed the closest> Dan

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I was watching a TV programme called Wild China last night, when
        they spoke about a kind of fungus that is highly prized and grows in
        the mountains. The curious thing was, is appeared to grow from the body
        of a caterpillar which it had infected...you could still see the wee
        beastie at its below-ground base.
        > It sounded to me like they called it Yatza Gungu.....but I can't
        find that on the internet. If anyone has info please pass it along.
        > Ta!
        > Love, Whinnie

      • daniel wildman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
          Hello Whinnie: I sent a reply but it ddint seem to get posted anyway i did a seach an found this site:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_caterpillar_fungus
          From what you have posted this sounded like the fungus that grows on the China caterpillar, There were some other sites, but this seem to be the best, but check it out for your self. I hope this is what you are looking for. Thank You Dan

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
            Thank you so much! What an interesting phenomenon. The Tibetan herdsman whose animals grazed on this fungus noticed that they were more healthy and vigorous, even the old ones. Some of the info you posted for me says that studies have shown its usefulness in medicine in significant human disease. One wonders why, with the wealth of natural medicine that exists, the health service continues to mis-invest in the drug industry.

            I remember reading years ago, that Chinese doctors only ever got paid when their patients became well. It accounts for their wonderful reputation historically in the healing arts. I wonder what would happen if Western governments imposed the same rule on our doctors?! Could be a few red faces around the place!

            Love, Whinnie
            > I was watching a TV programme called Wild China last night, when they
            > spoke about a kind of fungus that is highly prized and grows in the
            > mountains. The curious thing was, is appeared to grow from the body of a
            > caterpillar which it had infected...you could still see the wee beastie
            > at its below-ground base.

            > It sounded to me like they called it Yatza Gungu.....but I can't find
            > that on the internet. If anyone has info please pass it along. Ta!
            > Love, Whinnie

            The fungus concerned is a cordyceps.
            http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=cordyceps&spell=1

            There are loads of cordyceps fungi, each parasitic on a different host. I
            suspect the obne concernesd is Cordyceps sinensis

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps has much to say.

          • wildwillowkins
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
              >--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:
              >
              > One wonders why, with the wealth of natural medicine that exists, the
              > health service continues to mis-invest in the drug industry.
              >
              > Love, Whinnie

              I think lobbying from strong moneyed interests has a little bit to do
              with this! It's not about what is best, it's about how much money you
              can make:-(

              Willowkins
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
                The fungus is growing in a living insect by keeping the immune system back.

                This property is used in Sandimmun, that is made from a Cordyceps - first
                time found as Tolypocladus inflatus ( in Norway) , and was the start of
                the transplantation era in "Modern Western Medicine".

                Ergot is a fungus of the same group, related to Cordyceps making Ergotism...

                Just to warn you , Cordyceps. fungi is heavy stuff.

                Geir FLatabø

                2008/6/2 wildwillowkins <wildwillowkins@...>:

                > >--- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > One wonders why, with the wealth of natural medicine that exists, the
                > > health service continues to mis-invest in the drug industry.
                > >
                > > Love, Whinnie
                >
                > I think lobbying from strong moneyed interests has a little bit to do
                > with this! It's not about what is best, it's about how much money you
                > can make:-(
                >
                > Willowkins

              • Mary Lloyd
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Thanks Dan and all for your responses, I had no idea these fungi existed before seeing the TV programme. Yartsa Gunbu! so thats what it is....many thanks.
                  Love, Whinnie