Siberian Ginseng

  • Ken Fern
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2003
      Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus) is a very powerful and effective herb that strengthens and balances the immune system. There has been considerable research carried out on the plant, particularly in Russia and China, which has confirmed its many health benefits. If people are interested, I can send them a more detailed info sheet about the medicinal uses than that which appears on the pfaf website. The plant is being grown in the West, though my personal experience of growing it is confined to the one small pot-grown three year old plant that I am currently nurturing with much love in the garden.

      Siberian ginseng belongs to the same plant family as true ginseng (Panax ginseng) and contains some identical and other quite similar medicinal compounds. It is quite probable that other members of this genus, including Eleutherococcus sieboldianus, also contain these or similar substances and it would be very worthwhile investigating them for medicinal virtues. Indeed, we do have a report that Eleutherococcus sieboldianus is cultivated as a medicinal plant in Japan, but have been unable to obtain any further info on this. If there is anyone out there who can help here, please let us know.

      Eleutherococcus sieboldianus is proving to be very easy to grow on our Cornwall site and is also easy to propagate from cuttings. It makes a reasonable hedge and the leaves make a pleasant tasting tea. They are also said to make delicious eating when cooked, though I probably have different taste buds to the author of that report!

      Ken Fern
    • mIEKAL aND
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2003
        can you say what USDA zone it is hardy to? golden seal & ginseng of
        course grow wild here. zone 4 southwest wisconsin.

        mIEKAL