Soil Association

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28 6:52 AM
      Webmaster:
      I was concerned that pfaf has been dealt in an unfriendly way by the
      so called 'Soil Association' as mentioned in the first post by
      webmaster. I am buying a Nurseries in South Devon and plan to convert
      to organic veg and herbs. Has agreement on charging policy during
      registration been reached? Have you considering alternative means of
      certification? The 'Soil Association' attitude to good non organic
      farming has not endeared me to the organic movement in the past, but
      I was about to take a deep sigh and join up. Now I hesitate.
    • R J Morris (Plants For A Future)
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28 8:25 AM
        On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Alan wrote:

        > Webmaster:
        > I was concerned that pfaf has been dealt in an unfriendly way by the
        > so called 'Soil Association' as mentioned in the first post by
        > webmaster. I am buying a Nurseries in South Devon and plan to convert
        > to organic veg and herbs. Has agreement on charging policy during
        > registration been reached? Have you considering alternative means of
        > certification? The 'Soil Association' attitude to good non organic
        > farming has not endeared me to the organic movement in the past, but
        > I was about to take a deep sigh and join up. Now I hesitate.

        Yes we have been looking into alternative means of certification.
        The Vegan Organic Network
        http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/vohan/index.htm
        is preparing a certification scheme which looks very good.
        There are some other certification scheems which have more
        emphesis on environmental aspects rather than the organic
        side (I can't remember the details off hand). These are all
        very new/small.

        We may not actually bother with certification at all, for us
        our reputation is probably enough.

        Personally I think we have over reacted a bit, the problem
        comes down to not reading the small print and being overworked
        st our end. That said the Soil Association haven't treeted
        us very well.

        We did find that when we applied for certification we were
        almost too green for them. We were trying to use
        post consumer vegtable waste as a compost medium which
        which environmentally sound was not strictly organic.
        (Sorry if I'm hazy on the details, I was not closely involved
        with this process). It did also seem to be more geared towards
        crop growers that the needs of plant nursaries.

        Basically its a financial decision, if you want their symbol
        you have to play their game. If the use of that symbol
        is not important and your means of growing are sound then
        people won't hold it against you.

        All the best

        Rich
      • grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 18, 2001

          > Yes we have been looking into alternative means of certification.
          > The Vegan Organic Network
          > http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/vohan/index.htm
          > is preparing a certification scheme which looks very good.

          Hi Rich- my friend Ron here in Southend On sea (well Leigh, actually)
          is going for the Vegan Organic certification- I believe he is the
          first and will very much be a 'pilot'for the scheme. All seems to be
          going well so far.. I'll try to get him to feedback something to the
          list...

          > We may not actually bother with certification at all, for us
          > our reputation is probably enough.

          Fair point, but from the other angle attaining the VO certification
          will assist VOHAN in giving their scheme credibility, I shouldn't
          think PFAF would have alot of problems in meeting the criteria!

          Cheers, Graham
        • Richard Morris
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 18, 2001
            Graham,

            grahamburnett@... wrote:

            > > Yes we have been looking into alternative means of certification.
            > > The Vegan Organic Network
            > > http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/vohan/index.htm
            > > is preparing a certification scheme which looks very good.
            >
            > Hi Rich- my friend Ron here in Southend On sea (well Leigh, actually)
            > is going for the Vegan Organic certification- I believe he is the
            > first and will very much be a 'pilot'for the scheme. All seems to be
            > going well so far.. I'll try to get him to feedback something to the
            > list...

            Yep that would be great. BTW David from Vohan was a trustee of the
            pfaf charity earlier this year so we have very good contacts.

            > > We may not actually bother with certification at all, for us
            > > our reputation is probably enough.
            >
            > Fair point, but from the other angle attaining the VO certification
            > will assist VOHAN in giving their scheme credibility, I shouldn't
            > think PFAF would have alot of problems in meeting the criteria!

            Good point.
            ttfn

            Rich
            --
            Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
            Main Site: Blagdon Cross, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF, England