Re: [pfaf] plants for australia (fwd)

  • Joanie MacPhee
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2001
      If one does not have a warm wet marshy area to grow Brahmi in, it can be
      grown as an aquarium plant on a smaller scale. Joanie

      >WATER HYSSOP
      >Brahmi (Hindi)
      >Bacopa monnieri

      >spatula-shaped fleshy leaves and pale blue or white flowers on long slender
      >stalks.
      >
      >HABITAT & CULTIVATION: Water hyssop grown in warmer temperate and tropical
      >climates, especially in southern Asia. It thrives in marshland, developing
      >into dense mats on mudflats and at the edges of mangrove swamps.
      >
      >RESEARCH: Indian research suggests that water hyssop improves mental
      >function and memory, and reduces learning time.
      >Jackie from NY
      >Hill8628@...
    • Stephen Barstow
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2001
        In Cornucopia II (A Sourcebook of Edible Plants) it has the following entry for Bacopa monnieria: "The herb is eaten in salads and soups, as a cooked vegetable or pickled. Occasionally available in ethnic markets". I had a plant on my window sill for about a year, but it gave up and died this summer. I tried to keep it as damp as possible. The plant was pleasantly aromatic.