Re:Potentilla anserina - Silverweed

  • maxdrakey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2008
      Potentilla anserina, like other potentillas such as
      tormentil and cinquefoil contains catechol tannins,
      and can be used as an astringent for the digestive
      tract. So you can use it as a tincture or a tea (using
      the dried leaves) in cases of diarrhoea and loose
      bowels generally. I've never used it for this,
      preferring Tormentil (potentilla erecta - which is
      very effective)so can't vouch for its effectiveness.
      Herbalist Julian Barker recommends that its most
      appropriate medicinal use is as a mouthwash against
      sore gums, ulcers, and loose teeth; also for baby's
      teething.
      According to Mrs. Grieve a lotion - presumably made
      from a decoction, can be used to check the bleeding of
      piles.
      cheers
      Max
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, daniel wildman <spiderman18102@...> wrote:

      > Hi Marcia: I am fairly new to the group an been on hiatus for
      awaile, I did a short search about the Potentilla reptans an foun this
      USDA site, http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PORE6 I did
      realise till i read about your "weed" that it was in the Rose
      family,but it is not native to the US.Hmm.Well I am sure you and some
      of the other in the group are aware of the info but i was not, as I am
      sure some one else may not be. I am sure there is lot more info about
      this "weed". Thanks Dan