Yam Bean

  • Stephen Barstow
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2003
      I grew a Yam Bean (Pachyrizus erosus) indoors in a large pot last year. It didn't show any sign of flowering. I left it as long as possible before harvesting as I know it needs a long season to produce its edible tubers. I finally decided to harvest today as the top growth was almost dead and found that it had produced a respectable sized tuber about 3 inches across with a couple of small tubers in addition. My questions are a) does anybody know whether you can propagate from tubers ( I have read that it is normally propagated by seed). The PFAF site says you can. Can I just replant - can the tubers be stored like potatoes? b)what is the best way to eat it??

      Best regards

      Steve Barstow, Trondheim, Norway