Re: [pfaf] Comensurate temperature zones?

  • Ken Fern
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2003
      Dear Friend

      Some climatic zone charts show us as being in zone 9, others place us in
      zone 8. Since these zones are based more on minimum winter temperatures than
      anything else, perhaps a few details of our weather type might be of use to
      you.

      We have a generally mild maritime climate - mild winters where the
      temperature rarely falls below -5ºc, but relatively cool summers with
      temperatures rarely exceeding 25ºc and usually rather below that figure. We
      get quite a lot of rain, around 1000mm spread fairly evenly through the year
      with slightly more in the winter months than in the summer. We can also get
      very variable weather with periods of very mild weather in the winter
      (daytime temperatures around 10ºc, night times down to about 5ºc)
      interspersed with usually short periods of much colder weather (daytime
      around 3 to 6ºc, night times around 0ºc occasionally going as low as -5ºc).
      We also get a lot of wind, which can be very strong with gusts in excess of
      120 kilometres per hour. The wind is mainly quite mild, blowing off the
      Atlantic Ocean, though sometimes very cold when it comes down from the polar
      regions. We also have quite low sunshine figures, especially in the winter
      when we can go many days without seeing the sun.

      With our mild winters, we are able to grow a wider range of plants here than
      in most of Europe. However, due to the cooler summers and relative lack of
      sunshine, plants are not always able to fully ripen their wood and so we can
      get a lot of die-back of certain tree and shrub species in the winter.

      I hope the above is of use to you. Please write to me if you require more
      detailed weather figures.

      Ken Fern