Elderflower in bloom

  • Max and Sandra Desorgher
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2008
      We have a mature elder in our garden in SE england
      which is just bursting into flower now. When is the
      best time to take the flowers to make elderflower
      cordial or herbal infusions, and what are the danger
      of toxicity from the leaves?

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
    • Torrens (lists)
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2008
        In article <361447.25262.qm@...>,
        Max and Sandra Desorgher <sojmed@...> wrote:
        > We have a mature elder in our garden in SE england
        > which is just bursting into flower now. When is the
        > best time to take the flowers to make elderflower
        > cordial or herbal infusions,

        On a hot sunny day when the flowers are fully open at at maximum scent.

        > and what are the danger of toxicity from the leaves?

        Not a lot, unless you eat lots of leaves.

        A google search
        http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=toxicity+sambucus+nigra&btnG=Search&meta=
        reveals many relevant pages.
      • Liz Turner
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2008
          Hi Max/Sandra
          Once its in flower you can use it although there is a point when the flowerlets are fully open - have a close look - which is best. Also get them before they start to go brown. I have diffrent reports of the leaves - some that they are toxic - but also reports of uses for things like bruises & chilblains. I would avoid using them internally though. Maybe one of the herbalists on the list can comment?

          Good luck!
          Liz
          We have a mature elder in our garden in SE england
          which is just bursting into flower now. When is the
          best time to take the flowers to make elderflower
          cordial or herbal infusions, and what are the danger
          of toxicity from the leaves?

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail.

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3084 (20080508) __________

          http://www.eset.com

        • Griselda Mussett
          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 2008
            Elderflower cordial is delicious. We make it and store it in the
            freezer in old pop bottles. We found one problem was persuading the
            local pharmacist to let us have some citric acid powder - apparently
            this is no longer freely available to the naughty public because they
            might use it to 'cut' illegal powdery substances. We had a series of
            apopleptic WI types going into the local chemists' shop and saying
            'Really, do I LOOK like a drug dealer?' which was very amusing.

            Anyway, good luck with your elderflower cordial or champagne. I try to
            keep the leaves out, by the way. I also leave some of the flowers to
            ripen into berries for the birds later in the year. You can go on
            picking for quite a while as new heads of flowers open out. It seems
            to be more fragrant if you pick when the sun is shining.

            Griselda, also in SE England

          • hopkiles@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 2008
              I would go nuts without my citric acid. Are we talking about the same thing. I buy several containers each year at canning season and also use it in my homemade candies. It is not illegal here in the states. I hope no one gets naughty here. Maybe I should buy some to store

              Elderflower cordial is delicious. We make it and store it in the
              freezer in old pop bottles. We found one problem was persuading the
              local pharmacist to let us have some citric acid powder - apparently
              this is no longer freely available to the naughty public because they
              might use it to 'cut' illegal powdery substances. We had a series of
              apopleptic WI types going into the local chemists' shop and saying
              'Really, do I LOOK like a drug dealer?' which was very amusing.

              Anyway, good luck with your elderflower cordial or champagne. I try to
              keep the leaves out, by the way. I also leave some of the flowers to
              ripen into berries for the birds later in the year. You can go on
              picking for quite a while as new heads of flowers open out. It seems
              to be more fragrant if you pick when the sun is shining.

              Griselda, also in SE England

              On 9 May 2008, at 12:59, Liz Turner wrote:

              > Hi Max/Sandra
              > Once its in flower you can use it although there is a point when the
              > flowerlets are fully open - have a close look - which is best. Also
              > get them before they start to go brown. I have diffrent reports of the
              > leaves - some that they are toxic - but also reports of uses for
              > things like bruises & chilblains. I would avoid using them internally
              > though. Maybe one of the herbalists on the list can comment?
              >
              > Good luck!
              > Liz

            • SARAF MURULI
              Message 6 of 6 , May 9, 2008