Comensurate temperature zones?

  • ch_shanks <ch_shanks@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2003
      I am wondering what the comensurate USDA zone would be for the
      climate in Cornwall.
    • Ken Fern
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2003
        Dear Friend

        Some climatic zone charts show us as being in zone 9, others place us in
        zone 8. Since these zones are based more on minimum winter temperatures than
        anything else, perhaps a few details of our weather type might be of use to
        you.

        We have a generally mild maritime climate - mild winters where the
        temperature rarely falls below -5ºc, but relatively cool summers with
        temperatures rarely exceeding 25ºc and usually rather below that figure. We
        get quite a lot of rain, around 1000mm spread fairly evenly through the year
        with slightly more in the winter months than in the summer. We can also get
        very variable weather with periods of very mild weather in the winter
        (daytime temperatures around 10ºc, night times down to about 5ºc)
        interspersed with usually short periods of much colder weather (daytime
        around 3 to 6ºc, night times around 0ºc occasionally going as low as -5ºc).
        We also get a lot of wind, which can be very strong with gusts in excess of
        120 kilometres per hour. The wind is mainly quite mild, blowing off the
        Atlantic Ocean, though sometimes very cold when it comes down from the polar
        regions. We also have quite low sunshine figures, especially in the winter
        when we can go many days without seeing the sun.

        With our mild winters, we are able to grow a wider range of plants here than
        in most of Europe. However, due to the cooler summers and relative lack of
        sunshine, plants are not always able to fully ripen their wood and so we can
        get a lot of die-back of certain tree and shrub species in the winter.

        I hope the above is of use to you. Please write to me if you require more
        detailed weather figures.

        Ken Fern