Re: stevia rebaudiana

  • Vital Scherrer
    Message 1 of 19 , May 3, 2008
      Olá,

      At 'http://www.ruehlemanns.de/alter_shop_start.html' are two varieties of Stevia available - one a compact growing ('Zuckerhut') and the other ('Stepa') with a 50% stronger sweetening action, which is preferred in industrial production of the stevia sweetener.

      I also came across the following information at 'http://www.cancerfightstrategies.blogspot.com/':

      "Stevia is the ideal sweetener when fighting cancer. Sugars of any type
      feed cancer cells. Artificial sweeteners are basically toxic and cancer
      causing. Stevia is safe, sweet and even health promoting. It is a plant
      leaf. According to Dr. Whittaker, studies suggest that stevia has a
      regulating effect on the pancreas, and can help stabilize blood sugar
      levels in the body, therefore making it a safe dietary supplement for
      people with cancer, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and candidiasis.
      The BED
      brand of liquid stevia has no aftertaste. It is the best tasting
      stevia. This extract was developed by taking only the sweet-tasting
      rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
      leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
      you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
      quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."

      It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where sugar consumption increases the itching.

      BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
      'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
      "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many fruits and
      vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only two-thirds the food energy."

      It is also said to be beneficial for the following:
      - Diabetes
      - Dental care
      - Osteoporosis
      - Ear and upper respiratory infections
      - Candida yeast
      - For pregnant and nursing women

      Cheerios
      Vital

    • baba_alisha2003
      Message 2 of 19 , May 10, 2008
        many thanks once again Vital and everyone for responding. The medical
        information is important, as it appears that the laws surrounding
        stevia in the uk, are that it is not legal to sell simply as a
        sweetener, but it is for medical purposes, so this information and
        more will be useful in marketing it. If that doesn't show up the
        hypocritical motives behind the lawmakers I don't know what does.
        However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
        a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
        concrete scientific evidence to this effect? It seems to me, that if
        they wanted to put people off using it, that would be the way to go.
        And if you look at the kind of propaganda used when they first decided
        to outlaw cannabis ( at the time when the oil industry was taking over
        the relevant industries )... it is easy to be skeptical when we see
        the lengths these mega-corporations go to to secure their business
        interests...

        nevertheless... my landlords at the farm need convincing evidence that
        it is safe to use... not just for human health, but also for any
        potential threats there might be from introducing this foreign species
        to the biospheres of south west england... this I know nothing about.
        Can anybody help? Has anyone tried growing it in S.W. U.K.? (pfaf?)

        Once again, all information is very gratefully received !!!

        hugo

      • Infowolf1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , May 10, 2008
          maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
          to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.

          Mary Christine

          In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          baba_alisha2003@... writes:

          However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
          a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
          concrete scientific evidence to this effect?

          favorites at AOL Food.

        • charfair fairchar
          Message 4 of 19 , May 10, 2008
            I have heard one scientist, Robert O. Young, recovered from prostate cancer,
            and he wouldn't use stevia during a conference I attended that he led. He
            didn't tell people not to, but i know he declined stevia because I heard him
            decline it.

            He had gone into complete remission of prostate cancer with an alkaline
            diet, and especially alkaline water.

            On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM, <Infowolf1@...> wrote:

            > maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
            > to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.
            >
            > Mary Christine
            >

            > In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            > baba_alisha2003@... <baba_alisha2003%40yahoo.co.uk> writes:
            >
            > However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
            > a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
            > concrete scientific evidence to this effect?
            >
            > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
            >
            > favorites at AOL Food.

            Charlotte
            www.fprayers.blogspot.com (Fertile Prayers)
            www.arthavefun.blogspot.com (Free art book)
            www.icaco.blogspot.com (Help Indonesia)
            www.kudzus.blogspot.com (Kudzu Kwestions)

          • Javier Cosp
            Message 5 of 19 , May 12, 2008
              I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

              It is a native specie here in Paraguay. It is a fragil plant, so
              it wont become a invasive specie in England. But I dont know about
              another side effect on the environment.

              I think it is a difference to sell it like a sweetener or with medical
              purposes. As a sweetener children could intake a lot of it with their
              soft drinks, cokes and all that stuff, so it could reach a too high level
              of consume.

              Javier

> [...]

              > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
              > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
              > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
              > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
              >
              > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
              sugar consumption increases the itching.

              > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
              > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
              > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
              fruits and
              > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
              mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
              plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
              two-thirds the food energy."

            • hugo makepeace
              Message 6 of 19 , May 13, 2008
                thanks for that info Javier. I guess that is enough to know re: effects on environment... unless it has other effects on wildlife... ( unlikely).. i wonder also whether rabbits would like it, as there are rather a lot around the farm. Hopefully it will be too sweet for them... and i believe it is too sweet for kids to want to eat too much of it... a little goes a long way in keeping your mouth sweet, but without the sugar "rush" which creates the cravings and addiction.... no, the reason behind its outlawing in this country is the states, is simply the potential threat it poses to the sugar industry, once more and more people become aware of this alternative without the various damaging effects of refined sugar...

                ...am still looking for any scientific evidence for stevia's rumoured ill effects...

                ...or any t`o the contrary!

                many thanks once again to all taking interest. God Bless

                Javier Cosp <jcosp@...> wrote: I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

> [...]

                > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                >
                > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                sugar consumption increases the itching.

                > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                fruits and
                > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                two-thirds the food energy."

                > It is also said to be beneficial for the following:

                tune into the hot sounds coming outta OX4fm, Oxford's new community radio station, now on its 3rd RSL on 87.9fm to the city; and streaming online to the world 24/ 7 from www.ox4fm.net. Also check out www.myspace.com/ox4radio, keep it locked, tell your friends, and don't forget to mail in your comments... they help keep us on air !!!

                "THE TRUTH IS AN OFFENCE... BUT NOT A SIN"

                "JAH LIVE !"