Re: stevia rebaudiana

  • baba_alisha2003
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2008
      many thanks for all the responses. I heard it had been illegal in the
      US at some time but for some reason, didnt allow myself to believe it
      could still be here in UK... but really... we gotto stop fooling
      ourselves about the motives of our governments...

      ... anyway... do you think it would still be ok to sell it via the web
      from UK, if, say i write something to give buyers the responsibility
      of checking it is legal where they live???

      I have a bag of powdered leaf that a friend brought from Spain.
      That explains why i have never seen it in this country anyway! I
      really enjoy it as i have a very sweet tooth, and munching a pinch
      every now and then leaves a sweet taste in the mouth for ages. It does
      get negative reactions from some people tho... nevertheless, i have
      believed this is a very important herb since i first heard about it,
      as i have suffered with sugar sensitivity/addiction etc... and
      reading about the sugar industry makes you want to do anything to help
      bring it down...

      much respect to all the pfaf warriors!

      ( I am told it will do well once started and hardened off in a
      polytunnel... I am just wondering whether rabbits are going to develop
      a taste for it !!)

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

      > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply
      of the powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary
      stories about Aspartame)...but I didn't get around to sending for it yet.
      > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener
      in the UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and
      somehow they have interfered with the process that should make Stevia
      available on the shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300
      times sweeter than sugar...I guess they would lose substantial
      business if they made it available to us.
      > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical
      sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a
      healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we
      are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar
      companies.
      > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying
      it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier.
      If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear
      from you.
      > Love, Whinnie
      > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are
      sprouting...what fun.

    • Vital Scherrer
      Message 2 of 19 , May 3, 2008
        Olá,

        At 'http://www.ruehlemanns.de/alter_shop_start.html' are two varieties of Stevia available - one a compact growing ('Zuckerhut') and the other ('Stepa') with a 50% stronger sweetening action, which is preferred in industrial production of the stevia sweetener.

        I also came across the following information at 'http://www.cancerfightstrategies.blogspot.com/':

        "Stevia is the ideal sweetener when fighting cancer. Sugars of any type
        feed cancer cells. Artificial sweeteners are basically toxic and cancer
        causing. Stevia is safe, sweet and even health promoting. It is a plant
        leaf. According to Dr. Whittaker, studies suggest that stevia has a
        regulating effect on the pancreas, and can help stabilize blood sugar
        levels in the body, therefore making it a safe dietary supplement for
        people with cancer, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and candidiasis.
        The BED
        brand of liquid stevia has no aftertaste. It is the best tasting
        stevia. This extract was developed by taking only the sweet-tasting
        rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
        leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
        you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
        quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."

        It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where sugar consumption increases the itching.

        BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
        'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
        "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many fruits and
        vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only two-thirds the food energy."

        It is also said to be beneficial for the following:
        - Diabetes
        - Dental care
        - Osteoporosis
        - Ear and upper respiratory infections
        - Candida yeast
        - For pregnant and nursing women

        Cheerios
        Vital

      • baba_alisha2003
        Message 3 of 19 , May 10, 2008
          many thanks once again Vital and everyone for responding. The medical
          information is important, as it appears that the laws surrounding
          stevia in the uk, are that it is not legal to sell simply as a
          sweetener, but it is for medical purposes, so this information and
          more will be useful in marketing it. If that doesn't show up the
          hypocritical motives behind the lawmakers I don't know what does.
          However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
          a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
          concrete scientific evidence to this effect? It seems to me, that if
          they wanted to put people off using it, that would be the way to go.
          And if you look at the kind of propaganda used when they first decided
          to outlaw cannabis ( at the time when the oil industry was taking over
          the relevant industries )... it is easy to be skeptical when we see
          the lengths these mega-corporations go to to secure their business
          interests...

          nevertheless... my landlords at the farm need convincing evidence that
          it is safe to use... not just for human health, but also for any
          potential threats there might be from introducing this foreign species
          to the biospheres of south west england... this I know nothing about.
          Can anybody help? Has anyone tried growing it in S.W. U.K.? (pfaf?)

          Once again, all information is very gratefully received !!!

          hugo

        • Infowolf1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , May 10, 2008
            maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
            to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.

            Mary Christine

            In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            baba_alisha2003@... writes:

            However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
            a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
            concrete scientific evidence to this effect?

            favorites at AOL Food.

          • charfair fairchar
            Message 5 of 19 , May 10, 2008
              I have heard one scientist, Robert O. Young, recovered from prostate cancer,
              and he wouldn't use stevia during a conference I attended that he led. He
              didn't tell people not to, but i know he declined stevia because I heard him
              decline it.

              He had gone into complete remission of prostate cancer with an alkaline
              diet, and especially alkaline water.

              On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM, <Infowolf1@...> wrote:

              > maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
              > to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.
              >
              > Mary Christine
              >

              > In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              > baba_alisha2003@... <baba_alisha2003%40yahoo.co.uk> writes:
              >
              > However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
              > a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
              > concrete scientific evidence to this effect?
              >
              > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
              >
              > favorites at AOL Food.

              Charlotte
              www.fprayers.blogspot.com (Fertile Prayers)
              www.arthavefun.blogspot.com (Free art book)
              www.icaco.blogspot.com (Help Indonesia)
              www.kudzus.blogspot.com (Kudzu Kwestions)

            • Javier Cosp
              Message 6 of 19 , May 12, 2008
                I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

                It is a native specie here in Paraguay. It is a fragil plant, so
                it wont become a invasive specie in England. But I dont know about
                another side effect on the environment.

                I think it is a difference to sell it like a sweetener or with medical
                purposes. As a sweetener children could intake a lot of it with their
                soft drinks, cokes and all that stuff, so it could reach a too high level
                of consume.

                Javier

> [...]

                > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                >
                > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                sugar consumption increases the itching.

                > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                fruits and
                > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                two-thirds the food energy."

              • hugo makepeace
                Message 7 of 19 , May 13, 2008
                  thanks for that info Javier. I guess that is enough to know re: effects on environment... unless it has other effects on wildlife... ( unlikely).. i wonder also whether rabbits would like it, as there are rather a lot around the farm. Hopefully it will be too sweet for them... and i believe it is too sweet for kids to want to eat too much of it... a little goes a long way in keeping your mouth sweet, but without the sugar "rush" which creates the cravings and addiction.... no, the reason behind its outlawing in this country is the states, is simply the potential threat it poses to the sugar industry, once more and more people become aware of this alternative without the various damaging effects of refined sugar...

                  ...am still looking for any scientific evidence for stevia's rumoured ill effects...

                  ...or any t`o the contrary!

                  many thanks once again to all taking interest. God Bless

                  Javier Cosp <jcosp@...> wrote: I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

> [...]

                  > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                  > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                  > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                  > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                  >
                  > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                  sugar consumption increases the itching.

                  > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                  > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                  > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                  fruits and
                  > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                  mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                  plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                  two-thirds the food energy."

                  > It is also said to be beneficial for the following:

                  tune into the hot sounds coming outta OX4fm, Oxford's new community radio station, now on its 3rd RSL on 87.9fm to the city; and streaming online to the world 24/ 7 from www.ox4fm.net. Also check out www.myspace.com/ox4radio, keep it locked, tell your friends, and don't forget to mail in your comments... they help keep us on air !!!

                  "THE TRUTH IS AN OFFENCE... BUT NOT A SIN"

                  "JAH LIVE !"