Re: [pfaf] stevia rebaudiana

  • Infowolf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2008
      I've noticed a metallic taste to saccharine, though not as severe as you
      describe and with some sweetness. I can tolerate it.

      Mary Christine

      In a message dated 5/1/2008 4:41:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      pat@... writes:

      saccharine until I found that out - to me, it tastes just like crunching on
      a bit of aluminum foil - horrible, in other words. And yet some people
      taste it as sweet.

      listings at AOL Autos.

    • baba_alisha2003
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2008
        many thanks for all the responses. I heard it had been illegal in the
        US at some time but for some reason, didnt allow myself to believe it
        could still be here in UK... but really... we gotto stop fooling
        ourselves about the motives of our governments...

        ... anyway... do you think it would still be ok to sell it via the web
        from UK, if, say i write something to give buyers the responsibility
        of checking it is legal where they live???

        I have a bag of powdered leaf that a friend brought from Spain.
        That explains why i have never seen it in this country anyway! I
        really enjoy it as i have a very sweet tooth, and munching a pinch
        every now and then leaves a sweet taste in the mouth for ages. It does
        get negative reactions from some people tho... nevertheless, i have
        believed this is a very important herb since i first heard about it,
        as i have suffered with sugar sensitivity/addiction etc... and
        reading about the sugar industry makes you want to do anything to help
        bring it down...

        much respect to all the pfaf warriors!

        ( I am told it will do well once started and hardened off in a
        polytunnel... I am just wondering whether rabbits are going to develop
        a taste for it !!)

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply
        of the powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary
        stories about Aspartame)...but I didn't get around to sending for it yet.
        > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener
        in the UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and
        somehow they have interfered with the process that should make Stevia
        available on the shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300
        times sweeter than sugar...I guess they would lose substantial
        business if they made it available to us.
        > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical
        sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a
        healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we
        are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar
        companies.
        > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying
        it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier.
        If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear
        from you.
        > Love, Whinnie
        > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are
        sprouting...what fun.

      • Travis Philp
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2008
          I've read that stevia grown from seed does not have a reliable sugar content. I've grown stevia myself and tasted leaves that others have grown and there was a huge difference in taste. The stevia I grew was much sweeter and more flavourful, and my friends was bland and fibrous. So I would caution not to judge it solely on the first try.

          I assume that growing conditions (as with most things) vary the taste dramatically. The best stevia I've tasted was grown from cuttings taken from a plant I bought at a nursery, on very sandy soil (pH of about 5.5) in a sheet mulch bed consisting of cow manure, covered by leaves and straw.

          Travis

          FYI- Stevia cuttings root very easily in a warm windowsill covered by a humidity dome
        • Vital Scherrer
          Message 4 of 19 , May 3, 2008
            Olá,

            At 'http://www.ruehlemanns.de/alter_shop_start.html' are two varieties of Stevia available - one a compact growing ('Zuckerhut') and the other ('Stepa') with a 50% stronger sweetening action, which is preferred in industrial production of the stevia sweetener.

            I also came across the following information at 'http://www.cancerfightstrategies.blogspot.com/':

            "Stevia is the ideal sweetener when fighting cancer. Sugars of any type
            feed cancer cells. Artificial sweeteners are basically toxic and cancer
            causing. Stevia is safe, sweet and even health promoting. It is a plant
            leaf. According to Dr. Whittaker, studies suggest that stevia has a
            regulating effect on the pancreas, and can help stabilize blood sugar
            levels in the body, therefore making it a safe dietary supplement for
            people with cancer, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and candidiasis.
            The BED
            brand of liquid stevia has no aftertaste. It is the best tasting
            stevia. This extract was developed by taking only the sweet-tasting
            rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
            leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
            you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
            quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."

            It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where sugar consumption increases the itching.

            BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
            'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
            "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many fruits and
            vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only two-thirds the food energy."

            It is also said to be beneficial for the following:
            - Diabetes
            - Dental care
            - Osteoporosis
            - Ear and upper respiratory infections
            - Candida yeast
            - For pregnant and nursing women

            Cheerios
            Vital

          • baba_alisha2003
            Message 5 of 19 , May 10, 2008
              many thanks once again Vital and everyone for responding. The medical
              information is important, as it appears that the laws surrounding
              stevia in the uk, are that it is not legal to sell simply as a
              sweetener, but it is for medical purposes, so this information and
              more will be useful in marketing it. If that doesn't show up the
              hypocritical motives behind the lawmakers I don't know what does.
              However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
              a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
              concrete scientific evidence to this effect? It seems to me, that if
              they wanted to put people off using it, that would be the way to go.
              And if you look at the kind of propaganda used when they first decided
              to outlaw cannabis ( at the time when the oil industry was taking over
              the relevant industries )... it is easy to be skeptical when we see
              the lengths these mega-corporations go to to secure their business
              interests...

              nevertheless... my landlords at the farm need convincing evidence that
              it is safe to use... not just for human health, but also for any
              potential threats there might be from introducing this foreign species
              to the biospheres of south west england... this I know nothing about.
              Can anybody help? Has anyone tried growing it in S.W. U.K.? (pfaf?)

              Once again, all information is very gratefully received !!!

              hugo

            • Infowolf1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , May 10, 2008
                maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
                to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.

                Mary Christine

                In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                baba_alisha2003@... writes:

                However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
                a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
                concrete scientific evidence to this effect?

                favorites at AOL Food.

              • charfair fairchar
                Message 7 of 19 , May 10, 2008
                  I have heard one scientist, Robert O. Young, recovered from prostate cancer,
                  and he wouldn't use stevia during a conference I attended that he led. He
                  didn't tell people not to, but i know he declined stevia because I heard him
                  decline it.

                  He had gone into complete remission of prostate cancer with an alkaline
                  diet, and especially alkaline water.

                  On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM, <Infowolf1@...> wrote:

                  > maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
                  > to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.
                  >
                  > Mary Christine
                  >

                  > In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  > baba_alisha2003@... <baba_alisha2003%40yahoo.co.uk> writes:
                  >
                  > However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
                  > a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
                  > concrete scientific evidence to this effect?
                  >
                  > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
                  >
                  > favorites at AOL Food.

                  Charlotte
                  www.fprayers.blogspot.com (Fertile Prayers)
                  www.arthavefun.blogspot.com (Free art book)
                  www.icaco.blogspot.com (Help Indonesia)
                  www.kudzus.blogspot.com (Kudzu Kwestions)

                • Javier Cosp
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 12, 2008
                    I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

                    It is a native specie here in Paraguay. It is a fragil plant, so
                    it wont become a invasive specie in England. But I dont know about
                    another side effect on the environment.

                    I think it is a difference to sell it like a sweetener or with medical
                    purposes. As a sweetener children could intake a lot of it with their
                    soft drinks, cokes and all that stuff, so it could reach a too high level
                    of consume.

                    Javier

> [...]

                    > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                    > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                    > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                    > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                    >
                    > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                    sugar consumption increases the itching.

                    > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                    > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                    > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                    fruits and
                    > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                    mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                    plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                    two-thirds the food energy."

                  • hugo makepeace
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 13, 2008
                      thanks for that info Javier. I guess that is enough to know re: effects on environment... unless it has other effects on wildlife... ( unlikely).. i wonder also whether rabbits would like it, as there are rather a lot around the farm. Hopefully it will be too sweet for them... and i believe it is too sweet for kids to want to eat too much of it... a little goes a long way in keeping your mouth sweet, but without the sugar "rush" which creates the cravings and addiction.... no, the reason behind its outlawing in this country is the states, is simply the potential threat it poses to the sugar industry, once more and more people become aware of this alternative without the various damaging effects of refined sugar...

                      ...am still looking for any scientific evidence for stevia's rumoured ill effects...

                      ...or any t`o the contrary!

                      many thanks once again to all taking interest. God Bless

                      Javier Cosp <jcosp@...> wrote: I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

> [...]

                      > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                      > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                      > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                      > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                      >
                      > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                      sugar consumption increases the itching.

                      > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                      > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                      > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                      fruits and
                      > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                      mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                      plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                      two-thirds the food energy."

                      > It is also said to be beneficial for the following:

                      tune into the hot sounds coming outta OX4fm, Oxford's new community radio station, now on its 3rd RSL on 87.9fm to the city; and streaming online to the world 24/ 7 from www.ox4fm.net. Also check out www.myspace.com/ox4radio, keep it locked, tell your friends, and don't forget to mail in your comments... they help keep us on air !!!

                      "THE TRUTH IS AN OFFENCE... BUT NOT A SIN"

                      "JAH LIVE !"