Re: [pfaf] Stevia rebaudiana

  • Rick van Rein
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
      Hello,

      > has anyone tried growing stevia in the uk?

      I tried Stevia rebaudiana last year, without luck. Wouldn't know why, so
      I can't tell you. (I tried in NL, quite comparable to the UK.) I know it
      really needs heat and sun because it originates in the Amazone. It works
      as an annual in our region of the World.

      > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener in the UK.

      No, it is regulated as an illegal food substitute in the EU. An academic was
      so enthousiastic about it that he went for its status as a food ingredient,
      but something went wrong in his request and now Stevia is banned as a
      supplement throughout the EU. He is now dedicating his time to reparing
      this unfortunate mistake, but finds it hard to combat EU politics.

      One more nail in the EU coffin.

      > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar companies.

      As always, we are free to act for ourselves, just not to trade in the food
      supplement (which is actually illegal I understood).

      Cheers,
      Rick van Rein
    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2008
        Johnnys Select seed has Stevia seed, -- www.johnnyseeds.com ,--Michael

        siderea <siderea@...> wrote: I had no trouble finding Stevia rebaudiana seeds on Ebay, at minimal
        cost for a packet of 20 seeds. If they grow well, and go to seed, I
        would be glad to send some along.
        Must go read up on their culture now!
        Clear skies!
        lc carol
        Northern California

        Mary Lloyd wrote:
        > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply of the powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary stories about Aspartame)...but I didn't get around to sending for it yet.
        > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener in the UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and somehow they have interfered with the process that should make Stevia available on the shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300 times sweeter than sugar...I guess they would lose substantial business if they made it available to us.
        > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar companies.
        > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier. If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear from you.
        > Love, Whinnie
        > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are sprouting...what fun.

      • Griselda Mussett
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2008
          You can get seeds in the UK from
          www.jungleseeds.com/SeedShop/Novelty.htm
          They have a warning that in the EU you can only grow this as a
          'novelty' and not for consumption but they also say you dry the leaves
          to use it.
          I found this via google.co.uk and there seem to be others around too.
          Griselda,
          Kent in SE UK

        • Pat Meadows
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2008
            On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:16:57 +0100, you wrote:

            >I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier. If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear from you.

            I've tried it. I did not like it; it had a licorice taste to me.

            This is possibly genetic; I know that how different people taste saccharine
            is genetic. I could never understand how anyone could possibly use
            saccharine until I found that out - to me, it tastes just like crunching on
            a bit of aluminum foil - horrible, in other words. And yet some people
            taste it as sweet.

            Pat
            --
            Northern Pennsylvania

            CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
            http://www.thehungersite.com/
          • MelC
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2008
              Dried Stevia, plants and seed were readily available in the rural markets in Australia when I was there last year. Not so here in the UK so I brought back seed and a large packet of dried leaf with great expectation of dispensing with the 'Splenda' I was then using. The Stevia was so horrible I threw it and the seed away! Thought it was just me, so kept quiet when this thread started,but am glad to learn you didn't like it either, Pat. Have now dispensed with the Splenda, but cannot quite do without sugar.
              Mel.

              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                I have found dried crushed stevia leaf or leaf powder in
                the bulk herb section of health food stores, and put it in
                coffee to good effect, so if it is available online in this
                form I think you guys across The Big Puddle can sidestep
                the no stevia crowd.

                Mary Christine

                In a message dated 5/1/2008 12:35:22 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                michaels4gardens@... writes:

                Johnnys Select seed has Stevia seed, -- www.johnnyseeds.Johnnys Select see

                siderea <_siderea@..._ (mailto:siderea@...) > wrote: I had

                Mary Lloyd wrote:
                > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply of the
                powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary stories about
                Aspartame).. Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....ma
                > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener in the
                UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and somehow they
                have interfered with the process that should make Stevia available on the
                shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300 times sweeter than sugar...I
                guess they would lose substantial business if they made it available to us.
                > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical sweeteners
                and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a healthy alternative
                should be denied us....or put another way, that we are put at risk in order
                to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar companies.
                > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying it in
                if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier. If anyone has
                bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear from you.
                > Love, Whinnie
                > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are
                sprouting... PS...the

                listings at AOL Autos.

              • Infowolf1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                  I've noticed a metallic taste to saccharine, though not as severe as you
                  describe and with some sweetness. I can tolerate it.

                  Mary Christine

                  In a message dated 5/1/2008 4:41:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  pat@... writes:

                  saccharine until I found that out - to me, it tastes just like crunching on
                  a bit of aluminum foil - horrible, in other words. And yet some people
                  taste it as sweet.

                  listings at AOL Autos.

                • baba_alisha2003
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                    many thanks for all the responses. I heard it had been illegal in the
                    US at some time but for some reason, didnt allow myself to believe it
                    could still be here in UK... but really... we gotto stop fooling
                    ourselves about the motives of our governments...

                    ... anyway... do you think it would still be ok to sell it via the web
                    from UK, if, say i write something to give buyers the responsibility
                    of checking it is legal where they live???

                    I have a bag of powdered leaf that a friend brought from Spain.
                    That explains why i have never seen it in this country anyway! I
                    really enjoy it as i have a very sweet tooth, and munching a pinch
                    every now and then leaves a sweet taste in the mouth for ages. It does
                    get negative reactions from some people tho... nevertheless, i have
                    believed this is a very important herb since i first heard about it,
                    as i have suffered with sugar sensitivity/addiction etc... and
                    reading about the sugar industry makes you want to do anything to help
                    bring it down...

                    much respect to all the pfaf warriors!

                    ( I am told it will do well once started and hardened off in a
                    polytunnel... I am just wondering whether rabbits are going to develop
                    a taste for it !!)

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

                    > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply
                    of the powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary
                    stories about Aspartame)...but I didn't get around to sending for it yet.
                    > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener
                    in the UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and
                    somehow they have interfered with the process that should make Stevia
                    available on the shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300
                    times sweeter than sugar...I guess they would lose substantial
                    business if they made it available to us.
                    > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical
                    sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a
                    healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we
                    are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar
                    companies.
                    > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying
                    it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier.
                    If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear
                    from you.
                    > Love, Whinnie
                    > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are
                    sprouting...what fun.

                  • Travis Philp
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                      I've read that stevia grown from seed does not have a reliable sugar content. I've grown stevia myself and tasted leaves that others have grown and there was a huge difference in taste. The stevia I grew was much sweeter and more flavourful, and my friends was bland and fibrous. So I would caution not to judge it solely on the first try.

                      I assume that growing conditions (as with most things) vary the taste dramatically. The best stevia I've tasted was grown from cuttings taken from a plant I bought at a nursery, on very sandy soil (pH of about 5.5) in a sheet mulch bed consisting of cow manure, covered by leaves and straw.

                      Travis

                      FYI- Stevia cuttings root very easily in a warm windowsill covered by a humidity dome
                    • Vital Scherrer
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3, 2008
                        Olá,

                        At 'http://www.ruehlemanns.de/alter_shop_start.html' are two varieties of Stevia available - one a compact growing ('Zuckerhut') and the other ('Stepa') with a 50% stronger sweetening action, which is preferred in industrial production of the stevia sweetener.

                        I also came across the following information at 'http://www.cancerfightstrategies.blogspot.com/':

                        "Stevia is the ideal sweetener when fighting cancer. Sugars of any type
                        feed cancer cells. Artificial sweeteners are basically toxic and cancer
                        causing. Stevia is safe, sweet and even health promoting. It is a plant
                        leaf. According to Dr. Whittaker, studies suggest that stevia has a
                        regulating effect on the pancreas, and can help stabilize blood sugar
                        levels in the body, therefore making it a safe dietary supplement for
                        people with cancer, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and candidiasis.
                        The BED
                        brand of liquid stevia has no aftertaste. It is the best tasting
                        stevia. This extract was developed by taking only the sweet-tasting
                        rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                        leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                        you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                        quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."

                        It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where sugar consumption increases the itching.

                        BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                        'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                        "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many fruits and
                        vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only two-thirds the food energy."

                        It is also said to be beneficial for the following:
                        - Diabetes
                        - Dental care
                        - Osteoporosis
                        - Ear and upper respiratory infections
                        - Candida yeast
                        - For pregnant and nursing women

                        Cheerios
                        Vital

                      • baba_alisha2003
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 10, 2008
                          many thanks once again Vital and everyone for responding. The medical
                          information is important, as it appears that the laws surrounding
                          stevia in the uk, are that it is not legal to sell simply as a
                          sweetener, but it is for medical purposes, so this information and
                          more will be useful in marketing it. If that doesn't show up the
                          hypocritical motives behind the lawmakers I don't know what does.
                          However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
                          a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
                          concrete scientific evidence to this effect? It seems to me, that if
                          they wanted to put people off using it, that would be the way to go.
                          And if you look at the kind of propaganda used when they first decided
                          to outlaw cannabis ( at the time when the oil industry was taking over
                          the relevant industries )... it is easy to be skeptical when we see
                          the lengths these mega-corporations go to to secure their business
                          interests...

                          nevertheless... my landlords at the farm need convincing evidence that
                          it is safe to use... not just for human health, but also for any
                          potential threats there might be from introducing this foreign species
                          to the biospheres of south west england... this I know nothing about.
                          Can anybody help? Has anyone tried growing it in S.W. U.K.? (pfaf?)

                          Once again, all information is very gratefully received !!!

                          hugo

                        • Infowolf1@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 10, 2008
                            maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
                            to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.

                            Mary Christine

                            In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                            baba_alisha2003@... writes:

                            However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
                            a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
                            concrete scientific evidence to this effect?

                            favorites at AOL Food.

                          • charfair fairchar
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 10, 2008
                              I have heard one scientist, Robert O. Young, recovered from prostate cancer,
                              and he wouldn't use stevia during a conference I attended that he led. He
                              didn't tell people not to, but i know he declined stevia because I heard him
                              decline it.

                              He had gone into complete remission of prostate cancer with an alkaline
                              diet, and especially alkaline water.

                              On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM, <Infowolf1@...> wrote:

                              > maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
                              > to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.
                              >
                              > Mary Christine
                              >

                              > In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                              > baba_alisha2003@... <baba_alisha2003%40yahoo.co.uk> writes:
                              >
                              > However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
                              > a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
                              > concrete scientific evidence to this effect?
                              >
                              > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
                              >
                              > favorites at AOL Food.

                              Charlotte
                              www.fprayers.blogspot.com (Fertile Prayers)
                              www.arthavefun.blogspot.com (Free art book)
                              www.icaco.blogspot.com (Help Indonesia)
                              www.kudzus.blogspot.com (Kudzu Kwestions)

                            • Javier Cosp
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 12, 2008
                                I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

                                It is a native specie here in Paraguay. It is a fragil plant, so
                                it wont become a invasive specie in England. But I dont know about
                                another side effect on the environment.

                                I think it is a difference to sell it like a sweetener or with medical
                                purposes. As a sweetener children could intake a lot of it with their
                                soft drinks, cokes and all that stuff, so it could reach a too high level
                                of consume.

                                Javier

> [...]

                                > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                                > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                                > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                                > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                                >
                                > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                                sugar consumption increases the itching.

                                > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                                > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                                > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                                fruits and
                                > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                                mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                                plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                                two-thirds the food energy."

                              • hugo makepeace
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 13, 2008
                                  thanks for that info Javier. I guess that is enough to know re: effects on environment... unless it has other effects on wildlife... ( unlikely).. i wonder also whether rabbits would like it, as there are rather a lot around the farm. Hopefully it will be too sweet for them... and i believe it is too sweet for kids to want to eat too much of it... a little goes a long way in keeping your mouth sweet, but without the sugar "rush" which creates the cravings and addiction.... no, the reason behind its outlawing in this country is the states, is simply the potential threat it poses to the sugar industry, once more and more people become aware of this alternative without the various damaging effects of refined sugar...

                                  ...am still looking for any scientific evidence for stevia's rumoured ill effects...

                                  ...or any t`o the contrary!

                                  many thanks once again to all taking interest. God Bless

                                  Javier Cosp <jcosp@...> wrote: I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

> [...]

                                  > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                                  > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                                  > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                                  > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                                  >
                                  > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                                  sugar consumption increases the itching.

                                  > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                                  > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                                  > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                                  fruits and
                                  > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                                  mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                                  plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                                  two-thirds the food energy."

                                  > It is also said to be beneficial for the following:

                                  tune into the hot sounds coming outta OX4fm, Oxford's new community radio station, now on its 3rd RSL on 87.9fm to the city; and streaming online to the world 24/ 7 from www.ox4fm.net. Also check out www.myspace.com/ox4radio, keep it locked, tell your friends, and don't forget to mail in your comments... they help keep us on air !!!

                                  "THE TRUTH IS AN OFFENCE... BUT NOT A SIN"

                                  "JAH LIVE !"