Re: [pfaf] stevia rebaudiana

  • siderea
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 30 9:04 PM
      I had no trouble finding Stevia rebaudiana seeds on Ebay, at minimal
      cost for a packet of 20 seeds. If they grow well, and go to seed, I
      would be glad to send some along.
      Must go read up on their culture now!
      Clear skies!
      lc carol
      Northern California

      Mary Lloyd wrote:
      > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply of the powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary stories about Aspartame)...but I didn't get around to sending for it yet.
      > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener in the UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and somehow they have interfered with the process that should make Stevia available on the shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300 times sweeter than sugar...I guess they would lose substantial business if they made it available to us.
      > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar companies.
      > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier. If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear from you.
      > Love, Whinnie
      > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are sprouting...what fun.

    • Rick van Rein
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 30 10:59 PM
        Hello,

        > has anyone tried growing stevia in the uk?

        I tried Stevia rebaudiana last year, without luck. Wouldn't know why, so
        I can't tell you. (I tried in NL, quite comparable to the UK.) I know it
        really needs heat and sun because it originates in the Amazone. It works
        as an annual in our region of the World.

        > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener in the UK.

        No, it is regulated as an illegal food substitute in the EU. An academic was
        so enthousiastic about it that he went for its status as a food ingredient,
        but something went wrong in his request and now Stevia is banned as a
        supplement throughout the EU. He is now dedicating his time to reparing
        this unfortunate mistake, but finds it hard to combat EU politics.

        One more nail in the EU coffin.

        > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar companies.

        As always, we are free to act for ourselves, just not to trade in the food
        supplement (which is actually illegal I understood).

        Cheers,
        Rick van Rein
      • Michael Porter
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2008
          Johnnys Select seed has Stevia seed, -- www.johnnyseeds.com ,--Michael

          siderea <siderea@...> wrote: I had no trouble finding Stevia rebaudiana seeds on Ebay, at minimal

          Mary Lloyd wrote:
          > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply of the powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary stories about Aspartame)...but I didn't get around to sending for it yet.
          > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener in the UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and somehow they have interfered with the process that should make Stevia available on the shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300 times sweeter than sugar...I guess they would lose substantial business if they made it available to us.
          > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar companies.
          > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier. If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear from you.
          > Love, Whinnie
          > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are sprouting...what fun.

        • Griselda Mussett
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2008
            You can get seeds in the UK from
            www.jungleseeds.com/SeedShop/Novelty.htm
            They have a warning that in the EU you can only grow this as a
            'novelty' and not for consumption but they also say you dry the leaves
            to use it.
            I found this via google.co.uk and there seem to be others around too.
            Griselda,
            Kent in SE UK

          • Pat Meadows
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2008
              On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:16:57 +0100, you wrote:

              >I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier. If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear from you.

              I've tried it. I did not like it; it had a licorice taste to me.

              This is possibly genetic; I know that how different people taste saccharine
              is genetic. I could never understand how anyone could possibly use
              saccharine until I found that out - to me, it tastes just like crunching on
              a bit of aluminum foil - horrible, in other words. And yet some people
              taste it as sweet.

              Pat
              --
              Northern Pennsylvania

              CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
              http://www.thehungersite.com/
            • MelC
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                Dried Stevia, plants and seed were readily available in the rural markets in Australia when I was there last year. Not so here in the UK so I brought back seed and a large packet of dried leaf with great expectation of dispensing with the 'Splenda' I was then using. The Stevia was so horrible I threw it and the seed away! Thought it was just me, so kept quiet when this thread started,but am glad to learn you didn't like it either, Pat. Have now dispensed with the Splenda, but cannot quite do without sugar.
                Mel.

                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                  I have found dried crushed stevia leaf or leaf powder in
                  the bulk herb section of health food stores, and put it in
                  coffee to good effect, so if it is available online in this
                  form I think you guys across The Big Puddle can sidestep
                  the no stevia crowd.

                  Mary Christine

                  In a message dated 5/1/2008 12:35:22 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  michaels4gardens@... writes:

                  Johnnys Select seed has Stevia seed, -- www.johnnyseeds.Johnnys Select see

                  siderea <_siderea@..._ (mailto:siderea@...) > wrote: I had

                  Mary Lloyd wrote:
                  > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply of the
                  powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary stories about
                  Aspartame).. Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....ma
                  > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener in the
                  UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and somehow they
                  have interfered with the process that should make Stevia available on the
                  shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300 times sweeter than sugar...I
                  guess they would lose substantial business if they made it available to us.
                  > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical sweeteners
                  and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a healthy alternative
                  should be denied us....or put another way, that we are put at risk in order
                  to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar companies.
                  > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying it in
                  if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier. If anyone has
                  bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear from you.
                  > Love, Whinnie
                  > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are
                  sprouting... PS...the

                  listings at AOL Autos.

                • Infowolf1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                    I've noticed a metallic taste to saccharine, though not as severe as you
                    describe and with some sweetness. I can tolerate it.

                    Mary Christine

                    In a message dated 5/1/2008 4:41:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                    pat@... writes:

                    saccharine until I found that out - to me, it tastes just like crunching on
                    a bit of aluminum foil - horrible, in other words. And yet some people
                    taste it as sweet.

                    listings at AOL Autos.

                  • baba_alisha2003
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                      many thanks for all the responses. I heard it had been illegal in the
                      US at some time but for some reason, didnt allow myself to believe it
                      could still be here in UK... but really... we gotto stop fooling
                      ourselves about the motives of our governments...

                      ... anyway... do you think it would still be ok to sell it via the web
                      from UK, if, say i write something to give buyers the responsibility
                      of checking it is legal where they live???

                      I have a bag of powdered leaf that a friend brought from Spain.
                      That explains why i have never seen it in this country anyway! I
                      really enjoy it as i have a very sweet tooth, and munching a pinch
                      every now and then leaves a sweet taste in the mouth for ages. It does
                      get negative reactions from some people tho... nevertheless, i have
                      believed this is a very important herb since i first heard about it,
                      as i have suffered with sugar sensitivity/addiction etc... and
                      reading about the sugar industry makes you want to do anything to help
                      bring it down...

                      much respect to all the pfaf warriors!

                      ( I am told it will do well once started and hardened off in a
                      polytunnel... I am just wondering whether rabbits are going to develop
                      a taste for it !!)

                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

                      > Hello, I am interested in Stevia too....managed to locate a supply
                      of the powder for use as a healthy herbal sweetener (to many scary
                      stories about Aspartame)...but I didn't get around to sending for it yet.
                      > It seems big business has stopped the sale of Stevia as a sweetener
                      in the UK...Sugar and artificial sweeteners are big money here and
                      somehow they have interfered with the process that should make Stevia
                      available on the shelves. It is an herb with good properties and 300
                      times sweeter than sugar...I guess they would lose substantial
                      business if they made it available to us.
                      > I don't know about you, but I have issues with both chemical
                      sweeteners and sugar from the health perspective. It is amoral that a
                      healthy alternative should be denied us....or put another way, that we
                      are put at risk in order to maintain profits for the sweetener/sugar
                      companies.
                      > I am interested in growing Stevia too...but will settle for buying
                      it in if I can do so. So far, I am not convinced about the supplier.
                      If anyone has bought it and used it I would be really glad to hear
                      from you.
                      > Love, Whinnie
                      > PS...the perennial vegetables are germinating and the artichokes are
                      sprouting...what fun.

                    • Travis Philp
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 1, 2008
                        I've read that stevia grown from seed does not have a reliable sugar content. I've grown stevia myself and tasted leaves that others have grown and there was a huge difference in taste. The stevia I grew was much sweeter and more flavourful, and my friends was bland and fibrous. So I would caution not to judge it solely on the first try.

                        I assume that growing conditions (as with most things) vary the taste dramatically. The best stevia I've tasted was grown from cuttings taken from a plant I bought at a nursery, on very sandy soil (pH of about 5.5) in a sheet mulch bed consisting of cow manure, covered by leaves and straw.

                        Travis

                        FYI- Stevia cuttings root very easily in a warm windowsill covered by a humidity dome
                      • Vital Scherrer
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 3, 2008
                          Olá,

                          At 'http://www.ruehlemanns.de/alter_shop_start.html' are two varieties of Stevia available - one a compact growing ('Zuckerhut') and the other ('Stepa') with a 50% stronger sweetening action, which is preferred in industrial production of the stevia sweetener.

                          I also came across the following information at 'http://www.cancerfightstrategies.blogspot.com/':

                          "Stevia is the ideal sweetener when fighting cancer. Sugars of any type
                          feed cancer cells. Artificial sweeteners are basically toxic and cancer
                          causing. Stevia is safe, sweet and even health promoting. It is a plant
                          leaf. According to Dr. Whittaker, studies suggest that stevia has a
                          regulating effect on the pancreas, and can help stabilize blood sugar
                          levels in the body, therefore making it a safe dietary supplement for
                          people with cancer, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and candidiasis.
                          The BED
                          brand of liquid stevia has no aftertaste. It is the best tasting
                          stevia. This extract was developed by taking only the sweet-tasting
                          rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                          leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                          you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                          quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."

                          It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where sugar consumption increases the itching.

                          BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                          'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                          "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many fruits and
                          vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries, plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only two-thirds the food energy."

                          It is also said to be beneficial for the following:
                          - Diabetes
                          - Dental care
                          - Osteoporosis
                          - Ear and upper respiratory infections
                          - Candida yeast
                          - For pregnant and nursing women

                          Cheerios
                          Vital

                        • baba_alisha2003
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 10, 2008
                            many thanks once again Vital and everyone for responding. The medical
                            information is important, as it appears that the laws surrounding
                            stevia in the uk, are that it is not legal to sell simply as a
                            sweetener, but it is for medical purposes, so this information and
                            more will be useful in marketing it. If that doesn't show up the
                            hypocritical motives behind the lawmakers I don't know what does.
                            However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
                            a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
                            concrete scientific evidence to this effect? It seems to me, that if
                            they wanted to put people off using it, that would be the way to go.
                            And if you look at the kind of propaganda used when they first decided
                            to outlaw cannabis ( at the time when the oil industry was taking over
                            the relevant industries )... it is easy to be skeptical when we see
                            the lengths these mega-corporations go to to secure their business
                            interests...

                            nevertheless... my landlords at the farm need convincing evidence that
                            it is safe to use... not just for human health, but also for any
                            potential threats there might be from introducing this foreign species
                            to the biospheres of south west england... this I know nothing about.
                            Can anybody help? Has anyone tried growing it in S.W. U.K.? (pfaf?)

                            Once again, all information is very gratefully received !!!

                            hugo

                          • Infowolf1@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 10, 2008
                              maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
                              to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.

                              Mary Christine

                              In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                              baba_alisha2003@... writes:

                              However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
                              a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
                              concrete scientific evidence to this effect?

                              favorites at AOL Food.

                            • charfair fairchar
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 10, 2008
                                I have heard one scientist, Robert O. Young, recovered from prostate cancer,
                                and he wouldn't use stevia during a conference I attended that he led. He
                                didn't tell people not to, but i know he declined stevia because I heard him
                                decline it.

                                He had gone into complete remission of prostate cancer with an alkaline
                                diet, and especially alkaline water.

                                On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM, <Infowolf1@...> wrote:

                                > maybe it has contraceptive potential? Depends on HOW it works
                                > to shut down fertility. And how long the effect lasts.
                                >
                                > Mary Christine
                                >

                                > In a message dated 5/10/2008 9:59:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                                > baba_alisha2003@... <baba_alisha2003%40yahoo.co.uk> writes:
                                >
                                > However, people here are worried about certain rumors that it can have
                                > a detrimentry effect on human fertility. Does anyone know of any
                                > concrete scientific evidence to this effect?
                                >
                                > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
                                >
                                > favorites at AOL Food.

                                Charlotte
                                www.fprayers.blogspot.com (Fertile Prayers)
                                www.arthavefun.blogspot.com (Free art book)
                                www.icaco.blogspot.com (Help Indonesia)
                                www.kudzus.blogspot.com (Kudzu Kwestions)

                              • Javier Cosp
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 12, 2008
                                  I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

                                  It is a native specie here in Paraguay. It is a fragil plant, so
                                  it wont become a invasive specie in England. But I dont know about
                                  another side effect on the environment.

                                  I think it is a difference to sell it like a sweetener or with medical
                                  purposes. As a sweetener children could intake a lot of it with their
                                  soft drinks, cokes and all that stuff, so it could reach a too high level
                                  of consume.

                                  Javier

> [...]

                                  > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                                  > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                                  > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                                  > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                                  >
                                  > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                                  sugar consumption increases the itching.

                                  > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                                  > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                                  > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                                  fruits and
                                  > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                                  mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                                  plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                                  two-thirds the food energy."

                                • hugo makepeace
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 13, 2008
                                    thanks for that info Javier. I guess that is enough to know re: effects on environment... unless it has other effects on wildlife... ( unlikely).. i wonder also whether rabbits would like it, as there are rather a lot around the farm. Hopefully it will be too sweet for them... and i believe it is too sweet for kids to want to eat too much of it... a little goes a long way in keeping your mouth sweet, but without the sugar "rush" which creates the cravings and addiction.... no, the reason behind its outlawing in this country is the states, is simply the potential threat it poses to the sugar industry, once more and more people become aware of this alternative without the various damaging effects of refined sugar...

                                    ...am still looking for any scientific evidence for stevia's rumoured ill effects...

                                    ...or any t`o the contrary!

                                    many thanks once again to all taking interest. God Bless

                                    Javier Cosp <jcosp@...> wrote: I use it every morning to sweet my tea with no side effect until now.

> [...]

                                    > rebaudioside crystals, leaving behind the licorice-like flavor from the
                                    > leaves and creating the ideal alternative to synthetic sweeteners. If
                                    > you are fighting cancer, it is well worth trying. One bottle lasts
                                    > quite a while as you only use a few drops per serving."
                                    >
                                    > It is also supposed to be helpful against atopic dermatitis, where
                                    sugar consumption increases the itching.

                                    > BTW, another good sugar alternative is supposedly xylitol.
                                    > 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol':
                                    > "... a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many
                                    fruits and
                                    > vegetables, including various berries, corn husks, oats, and
                                    mushrooms. It can be extracted from corn fibre, birch, raspberries,
                                    plums, and corn. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose but with only
                                    two-thirds the food energy."

                                    > It is also said to be beneficial for the following:

                                    tune into the hot sounds coming outta OX4fm, Oxford's new community radio station, now on its 3rd RSL on 87.9fm to the city; and streaming online to the world 24/ 7 from www.ox4fm.net. Also check out www.myspace.com/ox4radio, keep it locked, tell your friends, and don't forget to mail in your comments... they help keep us on air !!!

                                    "THE TRUTH IS AN OFFENCE... BUT NOT A SIN"

                                    "JAH LIVE !"