Question

  • 2Wolk the 1st
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2003

      Hi!
      Can anyone, please tell me how to download pfaf from ftp server?
      thank you!
      2wolk

    • Peggy
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 16, 2007
        I have been watching a special on LINK TV "you are what you eat" It
        went into GE seeds and crops. John Robbins was on it talking about a
        healthy diet etc. Anyway, they say you should eat more whole grains.
        OK. What can I do with them? How do I fix them? I sure would like
        some ideas. Thanks, Peg
      • Cindy
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 16, 2007
          Great topic - I can't wait to read the posts.

          Bulgur wheat is very easy to deal with and very good.
          If you mix equal parts bulgur and boiling water, you
          have a breakfast cereal in just about a minute's time
          and in a few more minutes you can mix up a salad. I
          give my dad bulgur with milk and cinnamon for
          breakfast and then I make a tabouleh salad with the
          leftover bulgur to put in the refrigerator at the same
          time.

          Oatmeal makes a good breakfast cereal too, and it is a
          whole grain. I don't know whether or not oat bran is a
          whole grain, but it's also very quick to cook and
          healthy too.

          I love wheat berries, but they take 45 minutes to
          cook! Does anyone know of a way to cook them without
          talking so long and using up so much energy? I have a
          sun oven - I wonder how long they would take in that.

          Cindy

        • Javier Cosp
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 16, 2007
            Sometimes I make my own "Granola" cereals (I dont know if that is
            the name in english). I am sure you can find a recipe in Internet
            (the recipe I have is in spanish).

            Javier
            Paraguay

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 17, 2007
              Hi - I'm in New Zealand. My toasted muesli or crunchy granola is a real
              hit, very healthy, with whole grains, nuts and dried fruit.

              I make it in bulk, then pack it into sealed bags so it lasts at least a
              couple of months. But I've given you the smaller quantity. I buy a bag
              of rolled oats, and then adjust the other ingredients. It doesn't really
              matter if you have the proportions right and you can substitute with
              whatever. Here's the recipe:

              4 cups rolled oats.
              1 cup dessicated coconut
              1/4 cup linseed (flax seed)
              1/2 cup wheatgerm
              1/2 cup sunflower seeds, hulled
              1/2 cup honey - I use Manuka honey which is extremely healthy, with
              medicinal properties, but that may not be available in your part of the
              world - use whatever is available. Or you COULD use sugar.
              1/2 cup oil - safflower is what I use
              Mix these together and put into a roasting pan and into an oven 170
              degrees Celsius (that's 338 degrees Fahrenheit)

              Toast and stir from time to time. Leave to cool.

              2 cups mixed dried fruit, such as apricots, sultanas, raisins, dates,
              pawpaw, apple, pineapple etc. Use your imagination! Chop them up (or use
              a food processor for the bigger slices).
              2 cups mixed dried nuts, almonds, walnuts, hazel nuts, pecans, brazil
              nuts... use your imagination! Chop up the bigger ones and make them
              smaller. But I don't use peanuts - personal choice.

              I also add sesame seeds and tinker with the recipe forever. :) Depends
              what I see for sale in the health shop/grains part of the supermarket.
              Add your dried fruit and nuts to your toasted mixture.

              And then I eat a couple of spoonfuls for breakfast every morning, with
              some fresh fruit and great NZ milk. :) Some people sprinkle it on top of
              a plain cereal - but I don't. However, if you're going from a refined
              diet to adding this, I would take it easy at first.

              YUM! Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow. :)

              Jacqui

              Javier Cosp wrote:

              > Sometimes I make my own "Granola" cereals (I dont know if that is
              > the name in english). I am sure you can find a recipe in Internet
              > (the recipe I have is in spanish).
              >
              > Javier
              > Paraguay

              Russell, Bay of Islands, New Zealand
              www.bitbybit.co.nz
              www.madambutterfly.co.nz
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 17, 2007
                If it is whole wheat, it can be sprouted,
                that process is partly a predigestion process,
                afterwards you might ferment with lactic acid bacteria..

                It does not save time,
                but it makes the product easyli digested, ad you get a new food with new
                tastes...

                Geir Flatabø

                2007/2/16, Cindy <intjring@...>:

                > Great topic - I can't wait to read the posts.
                >
                > Bulgur wheat is very easy to deal with and very good.
                > If you mix equal parts bulgur and boiling water, you
                > have a breakfast cereal in just about a minute's time
                > and in a few more minutes you can mix up a salad. I
                > give my dad bulgur with milk and cinnamon for
                > breakfast and then I make a tabouleh salad with the
                > leftover bulgur to put in the refrigerator at the same
                > time.
                >
                > Oatmeal makes a good breakfast cereal too, and it is a
                > whole grain. I don't know whether or not oat bran is a
                > whole grain, but it's also very quick to cook and
                > healthy too.
                >
                > I love wheat berries, but they take 45 minutes to
                > cook! Does anyone know of a way to cook them without
                > talking so long and using up so much energy? I have a
                > sun oven - I wonder how long they would take in that.
                >
                > Cindy

              • Pat Meadows
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 17, 2007
                  I own a list called 'HealthyCheapCooking' and a discussion like this would
                  be right on topic for that list. Maybe you'd like to join it?

                  It's here:

                  Pat
                  Blog: http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com

                  'Every one of us can do something to protect and
                  care for our planet. We should live in such a way
                  that makes a future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh
                • Cindy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 17, 2007
                    That's a great idea, Geir, thanks. I can sprout them
                    and then cook them.

                    I have not done much sprouting because most of the
                    year the temps are fairly here and I had read that
                    sprouting at higher temps can foster E. coli growth.

                    If I cook the sprouts, though, that should kill any
                    germs.

                    Cindy

                    Man is the animal that intends to shoot himself out into interplanetary space, after having given up on the problem of an efficient way to get himself five miles to work and back each day. ~Bill Vaughan

                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  • Paul S. Hetrick
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 22, 2007
                      Most whole grains can be cooked like fried rice: fry in a hot, dry pan
                      until it starts to toast a bit, then add water. Wheat doesn't turn out
                      too well this way: too chewy for my tasts, but it is edible.

                      Every recipe I've ever seen for barely soup begins with "soak the
                      barely for ... hours" and ends with "and simmer for hours." I make
                      an "Instant barely soup" that is very good. Actually I haven't made it
                      in a few years, but here's the basic idea.

                      Put a heavy skilet on a hot stove. Add half a dozen barely corns.
                      When they start to toast, the pan is hot enough. For each serving, add
                      1/4 to 1/2 cup of barely. Toast, stiring constantly, until most ether
                      pops or starts to brown. While that's going on, add a bit of good oil
                      to the bottom of a pot. I use olive oil. How much? I don't know, a
                      teaspoon per serving should work. Add as much chopped up onion to the
                      oil and cook it until it browns. Then add about twice as much water as
                      barely to the onions and heat until it boils.

                      When the barely is toasted/popped add it to the water. Let it simmer
                      for a few minutes. Add an apropriate amount of salt/pepper/leftover
                      meat (ham works good) or whatever trips your trigger. I usuall add at
                      least some buckwheat to the barley while it's being toasted.

                      ==>paul