Re: [pfaf] re: "errant" individuals planting food trees in public

  • Teeter
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2008
      Thank you Steve. It is my thought too that if a seed can grow just by
      dropping on the ground that its meant for everyone. I live in the country
      but there are many people not too far from me. I am going to keep planting
      my peach trees and loquat trees as they are abundant on my property. I
      figure someone will get enjoyment from them once a year rather than being
      tilled into the garden. Should the food shortage get bad, I will know that
      at that time of year someone wont starve to death.

      Theresa

    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2008
        Because the planning commission or whoever has the authority and
        power to cut down what you plant, so don't waste seed and effort.

        I agree it IS in the public interest so go to the public officialdom.

        And yes, IF you bother to go the city or county authorities you can
        have input on trees being cut down or not. Most people just don't
        bother.

        Mary Christine

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10, 2008
            I love this post Steve.

            Our local council are taking all the greenest places to build houses on,
            and creating "parks" out of what is left of the countryside. It is
            getting hard to find somewhere to walk that isn't managed or manipulated
            by unscrupulous and greedy man.

            I think it is a great point that birds and other creatures don't have to
            ask permission to help disperse seeds, and neither does the wind. If we
            are going to work with nature we have to start compensating somehow for
            the widespread carnage that is known as "development".

            This forum has rekindled my interest in wild foods that are indigenous,
            and there seem to be a few places where you can buy seed/bulbs etc. As
            gardeners we all know there is always a surplus when you grow things, so
            my intention is to distribute that surplus thoughtfully in my local
            area, wherever natural habitats have been damaged or overtaken by
            developmments of whatever sort.

            If we are not part of the solution, we are probably part of the problem,
            as they say.

            Wonderful contributions on this subject, and thanks for all the plant
            info in the database!

            Much love from Whinnie

            Steve Sainsbury wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Interesting discussion.
            > In my opinion, our interests as "the public" are in having abundant,
            > locally
            > available sources of food - not in arbitrarily following the letter of
            > some
            > code of planning (which, all too often, is geared toward private
            > development
            > for profit).
            >
            > If the planning commission wants to cut down trees, they don't ask the
            > public; so why should the public ask permission to plant trees?
            >
            > Is it illegal for plants and trees to self-seed? Or to have their seeds
            > dropped from the sky by a bird? Why then should humans ask permission to
            > seed trees in public places?
            >
            > The "errant" ones ('errant' meaning 'wrong,' not 'few') are those who seek
            > to seize and regulate our last remaining wild and green spaces.
            > Contrary to
            > the opinions of some people, many of these regulators are not
            > actually elected officials, but permanent secretaries with a guaranteed
            > salary and no vested interest in upholding the local, public good.
            >
            > It is this desire for control of public places by administrators and
            > middlemen which places our green space in danger. The ancient tradition of
            > planting food along our "migration routes" will go on, I think,
            > despite any
            > objections.
            >
            > Hopefully I won't offend anyone when I say that a serious reality check is
            > in order. Our lands are being sold off to the highest bidder everywhere we
            > look. There are no unlimited resources. Perpetuation of sustainable
            > local food systems (a.k.a. - guerilla planting) in otherwise purely
            > decorative public byways is a highly intelligent, organised act - not the
            > anarchy it's made out to be.
            >
            > Right, I'm climbing down off MY soapbox now..
            >
            > Peace and love,
            >
            > Steve.
            >
            > (replying to:)
            > Tue Apr 8, 2008 12:48 am (PDT)
            > excuse me? The public consists of everybody as a whole not of
            > errant individuals. And The Public via its elected representatives
            > has made laws you'd best check on.
            >
            > Or you risk destruction of illegal plantings which is a waste of your
            > time and efforts and of the plants themselves, and maybe a fine.
            >
            > Check with your local jurisdiction about this stuff. If you have to
            > go before a city planning commission or something do so.
            >
            > Mary Christine Erikson

          • ingrid glass
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 10, 2008
              Alas, I have wasted so much time over the years writing to councils/government/public officialdom etc to no avail. Things still get my goat, I still feel I have to keep fighting & objecting to these greedy, vote-hungry, capitalist authorities, but know that it will not actually change anything and that I am wasting my time. Plants produce far more seed than they need, it takes very little effort (in comparison to writing letters, making phone-calls...) to distribute, might even be successful AND is fun!!!! The authorities won't remove every single 'interloping' plant! What harm is it doing anyone?

              Ingrid

              ________________________________

              To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              From: Infowolf1@...
              Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:44:12 -0400
              Subject: Re: [pfaf] re: "errant" individuals planting food trees in public

              Because the planning commission or whoever has the authority and
              power to cut down what you plant, so don't waste seed and effort.

              I agree it IS in the public interest so go to the public officialdom.

              And yes, IF you bother to go the city or county authorities you can
              have input on trees being cut down or not. Most people just don't
              bother.

              Mary Christine

              The next generation of Windows Live is here
              http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live
            • Traveler in Thyme
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10, 2008
                Having an organization like the Garden Club to back you up in your dealings
                with public officials can be a real help in getting the right plants into
                the urban landscape plans. In fact, I ended up Arbor Day chairman for
                several years, with great powers of choice (besides the authority to go
                shopping for trees). If you want to contribute your own money and labour
                to the cause, there are proper channels that can smooth the way toward your
                goal of urban edibles, and they would treat you like a bigshot benefactor
                instead of some mad Johnny Appleseed.

                Marcia Cash
                ~Traveler in Thyme~