RE: [pfaf] Re: growing food trees in public places - legal issues

  • ingrid glass
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 9, 2008
      Just seen this about to be published : http://www.guerrillagardening.org/onguerrillagardening.html

      It's a pity the link to buy goes to Amazon - order from your local independent bookstore!! Ingrid
    • Mathew Waehner
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 9, 2008
        I do a bit of gardening in public and abandoned places, but not quite the
        same as we've been talking about here- I would describe it as casual
        foraging permaculture. For example, when I gather wild blackberries, I
        groom them by cutting the Japanese honeysuckle that tries to overtake them.
        I'm also planning to sow seeds from my forest garden plants throughout my
        city's greenway system.

        Maybe the place to put our edible plants is the semi- wild perimeter of
        public spaces. I think that good permaculture food forestry looks like a
        natural forest to the casual eye.

        If we are willing to work with native plants and small seedlings, we could
        create an entire forest garden that everyone else would think is "natural".
        Since we will be giving minimal care to these plants, any that don't
        function properly in the system will eventually die off.

        Of course, this kind of casual management is natural- indigenous people have
        always tended the plants that sustain them.

        On 4/8/08, Marc Bailey <playtoe1@...> wrote:

        > Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these
        > changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are
        > forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to
        > get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take
        > control of local government officials and has lead to out of control
        > developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's
        > pocket.
        >
        > The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was
        > able to positively transform public space:
        > http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related
        >
        > Cheers,
        > -Marc

        Matt

        This is our grace: To be a note
        In the exact chord that animates creation

        -- Deena Metzger

      • Traveler in Thyme
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 12, 2008
          Yes, Matthew! Come live in my neighborhood, we have several neighbors who
          have given me permission to 'scape their land if it can be kept "natural
          looking", though the job is hopeless unless we thin out the cedar scrub and
          the whitetail deer. Our fenced back yard looks like a jungle, but almost
          everything in it is useful to us humans, and the rest is useful to birds and
          butterflies. Outside the fence, where the deer overgraze, looks like the
          moon. Overgrazing causes cedar to take over, which kills everything else,
          but slashing and burning the cedar just makes things worse. The mistakes
          of the past haunt us here in Central Texas.

          Marcia Cash
          ~Traveler in Thyme~