Re: [pfaf] Re: growing food trees in public places

  • Marc Bailey
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
      Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take control of local government officials and has lead to out of control developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's pocket.

      The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was able to positively transform public space:
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related

      Cheers,
      -Marc

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 9, 2008
        Just seen this about to be published : http://www.guerrillagardening.org/onguerrillagardening.html

        It's a pity the link to buy goes to Amazon - order from your local independent bookstore!! Ingrid
      • Mathew Waehner
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 9, 2008
          I do a bit of gardening in public and abandoned places, but not quite the
          same as we've been talking about here- I would describe it as casual
          foraging permaculture. For example, when I gather wild blackberries, I
          groom them by cutting the Japanese honeysuckle that tries to overtake them.
          I'm also planning to sow seeds from my forest garden plants throughout my
          city's greenway system.

          Maybe the place to put our edible plants is the semi- wild perimeter of
          public spaces. I think that good permaculture food forestry looks like a
          natural forest to the casual eye.

          If we are willing to work with native plants and small seedlings, we could
          create an entire forest garden that everyone else would think is "natural".
          Since we will be giving minimal care to these plants, any that don't
          function properly in the system will eventually die off.

          Of course, this kind of casual management is natural- indigenous people have
          always tended the plants that sustain them.

          On 4/8/08, Marc Bailey <playtoe1@...> wrote:

          > Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these
          > changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are
          > forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to
          > get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take
          > control of local government officials and has lead to out of control
          > developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's
          > pocket.
          >
          > The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was
          > able to positively transform public space:
          > http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related
          >
          > Cheers,
          > -Marc

          Matt

          This is our grace: To be a note
          In the exact chord that animates creation

          -- Deena Metzger

        • Traveler in Thyme
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 12, 2008
            Yes, Matthew! Come live in my neighborhood, we have several neighbors who
            have given me permission to 'scape their land if it can be kept "natural
            looking", though the job is hopeless unless we thin out the cedar scrub and
            the whitetail deer. Our fenced back yard looks like a jungle, but almost
            everything in it is useful to us humans, and the rest is useful to birds and
            butterflies. Outside the fence, where the deer overgraze, looks like the
            moon. Overgrazing causes cedar to take over, which kills everything else,
            but slashing and burning the cedar just makes things worse. The mistakes
            of the past haunt us here in Central Texas.

            Marcia Cash
            ~Traveler in Thyme~