Re: [pfaf] growing food trees in public places

  • Michael Porter
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
      The Olive and Fig sound like good ideas for useful "public" trees, --Michael

      ariel023 <ariel023@...> wrote: Hi all

      Olives and figs are common here in public places
      along roads you may even find the prickly pear and lots of
      date palm and Carob

      tThe male mullberry, pecans along roads are rather newly
      planted

      Various citrus rootstocks, passionfruits and grapes are also
      common but in specific cities

      No mango is planted here on a road side or public

    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
        excuse me? The public consists of everybody as a whole not of
        errant individuals. And The Public via its elected representatives
        has made laws you'd best check on.

        Or you risk destruction of illegal plantings which is a waste of your
        time and efforts and of the plants themselves, and maybe a fine.

        Check with your local jurisdiction about this stuff. If you have to
        go before a city planning commission or something do so.

        Mary Christine Erikson

        In a message dated 4/7/2008 3:12:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        martinwnaylor@... writes:

        It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open places we are
        the public

      • vic_doyle
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
          Elected Representatives make up all sorts of crap laws and policies
          which have led to immense Oil Wars dressed as "Human Rights" and
          young people living in places were there are no facilities unless you
          own a car. In fact the "1984" style "dumbing down and law making" is
          leading to lives where you're banned from smoking a cigarette but
          have no redress to living in towns and cities choked by petrol and
          diesel fumes and vehicle smog & noise.

          If the lawmakers designed a racehorse it would look like Camel,
          that's why they don't plant fruit trees in public places.

          Bring on the Free Food Tree Planters and leave the Nimby Gas guzzling
          Fascists in their plastic/asbestos/MDF offices to ROT I say.

          On a lighter note:

          By the way, I plant redcurrant bushes all over the place, they are
          easy to transplant and are a beautiful and useful plant which
          introduces to children that food doesn't just come from Wallmart
          (next to the Gun Counter!).

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

          > excuse me? The public consists of everybody as a whole not of
          > errant individuals. And The Public via its elected representatives
          > has made laws you'd best check on.
          >
          > Or you risk destruction of illegal plantings which is a waste of
          your
          > time and efforts and of the plants themselves, and maybe a fine.
          >
          > Check with your local jurisdiction about this stuff. If you have to
          > go before a city planning commission or something do so.
          >
          > Mary Christine Erikson
          >

          > In a message dated 4/7/2008 3:12:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
          > martinwnaylor@... writes:
          >
          > It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open
          places we are
          > the public
          >

          > **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel
          Guides.
          > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?
          ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

        • vic_doyle
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
            Exactly! If the fumes are poisining the plants, what are the fumes
            doing to us? Ban the car not fruit!

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Traveler in Thyme" <marcia@...> wrote:

            > During my terms as Arbor Day chairman for the Garden Club, and also
            working
            > with professional landscapers, I've been told over and over that
            nobody
            > wants fruit or nut trees in parks or along streets because of the
            Mess.
            > Foolish humans. If you pick all the fruit, there is no mess!
            But the
            > persist in planting "flowering pears" and "flowering plums" that
            bear no
            > fruits, and disallowing vegetables in front lawns.
            >
            > Also, I've read that plants within 25 feet of a busy street, or 75
            feet from
            > a highway, are often contaminated with large amounts of lead and
            other
            > exhaust fumes. What used to be the runoff gullies for creeks,
            where the
            > good soil accumulates, are now mostly drainage ditches and covered
            culverts,
            > and even if tasty weeds grow there, they are not safe to eat.
            >
            > I lived on pecans picked up along the streets when I was a college
            student
            > in Austin.......it always amazes me how many go to waste when they
            are
            > within easy reach. You must respect the rights of the owners, but
            they
            > often do not care, or they would obviously have harvested the crops
            > themselves. ????
            >
            > Marcia Cash
            > ~Traveler in Thyme~

          • Marc Bailey
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
              Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take control of local government officials and has lead to out of control developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's pocket.

              The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was able to positively transform public space:
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related

              Cheers,
              -Marc

              martinwnaylor@ yahoo.com. au writes:

              It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open places we are
              the public

              ************ **Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.
              (http://travel. aol.com/travel- guide/united- states?ncid= aoltrv0003000000 0016)

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-reco {
              margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
              #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
              font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

              #reco-grpname{
              font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
              #reco-category{
              font-size:77%;}
              #reco-desc{
              font-size:77%;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • ingrid glass
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 9, 2008
                Just seen this about to be published : http://www.guerrillagardening.org/onguerrillagardening.html

                It's a pity the link to buy goes to Amazon - order from your local independent bookstore!! Ingrid
              • Mathew Waehner
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 9, 2008
                  I do a bit of gardening in public and abandoned places, but not quite the
                  same as we've been talking about here- I would describe it as casual
                  foraging permaculture. For example, when I gather wild blackberries, I
                  groom them by cutting the Japanese honeysuckle that tries to overtake them.
                  I'm also planning to sow seeds from my forest garden plants throughout my
                  city's greenway system.

                  Maybe the place to put our edible plants is the semi- wild perimeter of
                  public spaces. I think that good permaculture food forestry looks like a
                  natural forest to the casual eye.

                  If we are willing to work with native plants and small seedlings, we could
                  create an entire forest garden that everyone else would think is "natural".
                  Since we will be giving minimal care to these plants, any that don't
                  function properly in the system will eventually die off.

                  Of course, this kind of casual management is natural- indigenous people have
                  always tended the plants that sustain them.

                  On 4/8/08, Marc Bailey <playtoe1@...> wrote:

                  > Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these
                  > changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are
                  > forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to
                  > get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take
                  > control of local government officials and has lead to out of control
                  > developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's
                  > pocket.
                  >
                  > The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was
                  > able to positively transform public space:
                  > http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > -Marc

                  Matt

                  This is our grace: To be a note
                  In the exact chord that animates creation

                  -- Deena Metzger

                • Traveler in Thyme
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 12, 2008
                    Yes, Matthew! Come live in my neighborhood, we have several neighbors who
                    have given me permission to 'scape their land if it can be kept "natural
                    looking", though the job is hopeless unless we thin out the cedar scrub and
                    the whitetail deer. Our fenced back yard looks like a jungle, but almost
                    everything in it is useful to us humans, and the rest is useful to birds and
                    butterflies. Outside the fence, where the deer overgraze, looks like the
                    moon. Overgrazing causes cedar to take over, which kills everything else,
                    but slashing and burning the cedar just makes things worse. The mistakes
                    of the past haunt us here in Central Texas.

                    Marcia Cash
                    ~Traveler in Thyme~