Re: growing food trees in public places

  • Martin Naylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7 2:58 PM
      It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open places we are the public

      the joys of scrumping
      martin

      Law? what do I care for the law?Hain't I got the power?
      - Commodore Vanderbilt
      I owe the public nothing.
      - J.P. Morgan

    • Javier Cosp
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7 4:10 PM
        In Paraguay we have a lot of mangoes in public places. They are
        eaten by poor people but most of them goes to the garbage.

        Javier

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7 5:59 PM
          During my terms as Arbor Day chairman for the Garden Club, and also working
          with professional landscapers, I've been told over and over that nobody
          wants fruit or nut trees in parks or along streets because of the Mess.
          Foolish humans. If you pick all the fruit, there is no mess! But the
          persist in planting "flowering pears" and "flowering plums" that bear no
          fruits, and disallowing vegetables in front lawns.

          Also, I've read that plants within 25 feet of a busy street, or 75 feet from
          a highway, are often contaminated with large amounts of lead and other
          exhaust fumes. What used to be the runoff gullies for creeks, where the
          good soil accumulates, are now mostly drainage ditches and covered culverts,
          and even if tasty weeds grow there, they are not safe to eat.

          I lived on pecans picked up along the streets when I was a college student
          in Austin.......it always amazes me how many go to waste when they are
          within easy reach. You must respect the rights of the owners, but they
          often do not care, or they would obviously have harvested the crops
          themselves. ????

          Marcia Cash
          ~Traveler in Thyme~

        • ariel023
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7 8:05 PM
            Hi all

            Olives and figs are common here in public places
            along roads you may even find the prickly pear and lots of
            date palm and Carob

            tThe male mullberry, pecans along roads are rather newly
            planted

            Various citrus rootstocks, passionfruits and grapes are also
            common but in specific cities

            No mango is planted here on a road side or public
          • Michael Porter

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8 12:48 AM
                excuse me? The public consists of everybody as a whole not of
                errant individuals. And The Public via its elected representatives
                has made laws you'd best check on.

                Or you risk destruction of illegal plantings which is a waste of your
                time and efforts and of the plants themselves, and maybe a fine.

                Check with your local jurisdiction about this stuff. If you have to
                go before a city planning commission or something do so.

                Mary Christine Erikson

                In a message dated 4/7/2008 3:12:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                martinwnaylor@... writes:

                It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open places we are
                the public

              • vic_doyle
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 8 4:30 AM
                  Elected Representatives make up all sorts of crap laws and policies
                  which have led to immense Oil Wars dressed as "Human Rights" and
                  young people living in places were there are no facilities unless you
                  own a car. In fact the "1984" style "dumbing down and law making" is
                  leading to lives where you're banned from smoking a cigarette but
                  have no redress to living in towns and cities choked by petrol and
                  diesel fumes and vehicle smog & noise.

                  If the lawmakers designed a racehorse it would look like Camel,
                  that's why they don't plant fruit trees in public places.

                  Bring on the Free Food Tree Planters and leave the Nimby Gas guzzling
                  Fascists in their plastic/asbestos/MDF offices to ROT I say.

                  On a lighter note:

                  By the way, I plant redcurrant bushes all over the place, they are
                  easy to transplant and are a beautiful and useful plant which
                  introduces to children that food doesn't just come from Wallmart
                  (next to the Gun Counter!).

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                  > excuse me? The public consists of everybody as a whole not of
                  > errant individuals. And The Public via its elected representatives
                  > has made laws you'd best check on.
                  >
                  > Or you risk destruction of illegal plantings which is a waste of
                  your
                  > time and efforts and of the plants themselves, and maybe a fine.
                  >
                  > Check with your local jurisdiction about this stuff. If you have to
                  > go before a city planning commission or something do so.
                  >
                  > Mary Christine Erikson
                  >

                  > In a message dated 4/7/2008 3:12:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                  > martinwnaylor@... writes:
                  >
                  > It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open
                  places we are
                  > the public
                  >

                  > **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel
                  Guides.
                  > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?
                  ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

                • vic_doyle
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8 4:37 AM
                    Exactly! If the fumes are poisining the plants, what are the fumes
                    doing to us? Ban the car not fruit!

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Traveler in Thyme" <marcia@...> wrote:

                    > During my terms as Arbor Day chairman for the Garden Club, and also
                    working
                    > with professional landscapers, I've been told over and over that
                    nobody
                    > wants fruit or nut trees in parks or along streets because of the
                    Mess.
                    > Foolish humans. If you pick all the fruit, there is no mess!
                    But the
                    > persist in planting "flowering pears" and "flowering plums" that
                    bear no
                    > fruits, and disallowing vegetables in front lawns.
                    >
                    > Also, I've read that plants within 25 feet of a busy street, or 75
                    feet from
                    > a highway, are often contaminated with large amounts of lead and
                    other
                    > exhaust fumes. What used to be the runoff gullies for creeks,
                    where the
                    > good soil accumulates, are now mostly drainage ditches and covered
                    culverts,
                    > and even if tasty weeds grow there, they are not safe to eat.
                    >
                    > I lived on pecans picked up along the streets when I was a college
                    student
                    > in Austin.......it always amazes me how many go to waste when they
                    are
                    > within easy reach. You must respect the rights of the owners, but
                    they
                    > often do not care, or they would obviously have harvested the crops
                    > themselves. ????
                    >
                    > Marcia Cash
                    > ~Traveler in Thyme~

                  • Marc Bailey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 8 8:19 AM
                      Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take control of local government officials and has lead to out of control developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's pocket.

                      The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was able to positively transform public space:
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related

                      Cheers,
                      -Marc

                      martinwnaylor@ yahoo.com. au writes:

                      It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open places we are
                      the public

                      ************ **Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.
                      (http://travel. aol.com/travel- guide/united- states?ncid= aoltrv0003000000 0016)

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-mkp{
                      #ygrp-mkp hr{
                      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                      #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                      #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                      margin-bottom:10px;}
                      #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                      padding:0 0;}
                      #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                      color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                      -->

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                      font-family:Arial;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                      margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                      -->

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                      #ygrp-text{
                      font-family:Georgia;
                      }
                      #ygrp-text p{
                      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                      font-family:Arial;
                      clear:both;}
                      #ygrp-vitnav{
                      #ygrp-vitnav a{
                      padding:0 1px;}
                      #ygrp-actbar{
                      #ygrp-actbar .left{
                      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                      #ygrp-grft{
                      #ygrp-ft{
                      padding:5px 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                      padding-bottom:10px;}

                      #ygrp-reco {
                      margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
                      #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                      font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

                      #reco-grpname{
                      font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
                      #reco-category{
                      font-size:77%;}
                      #reco-desc{
                      font-size:77%;}

                      #ygrp-vital{
                      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                      #ygrp-vital ul{
                      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                      #ygrp-vital ul li{
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                      font-weight:bold;}
                      #ygrp-vital a{
                      text-decoration:none;}

                      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;}

                      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                      padding:8px 0;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                      text-decoration:none;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                      margin:0;}
                      o{font-size:0;}
                      .MsoNormal{
                      margin:0 0 0 0;}
                      #ygrp-text tt{
                      font-size:120%;}
                      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                      .replbq{margin:4;}
                      -->

                    • ingrid glass
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 9 6:10 AM
                        Just seen this about to be published : http://www.guerrillagardening.org/onguerrillagardening.html

                        It's a pity the link to buy goes to Amazon - order from your local independent bookstore!! Ingrid
                      • Mathew Waehner
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 9 7:33 AM
                          I do a bit of gardening in public and abandoned places, but not quite the
                          same as we've been talking about here- I would describe it as casual
                          foraging permaculture. For example, when I gather wild blackberries, I
                          groom them by cutting the Japanese honeysuckle that tries to overtake them.
                          I'm also planning to sow seeds from my forest garden plants throughout my
                          city's greenway system.

                          Maybe the place to put our edible plants is the semi- wild perimeter of
                          public spaces. I think that good permaculture food forestry looks like a
                          natural forest to the casual eye.

                          If we are willing to work with native plants and small seedlings, we could
                          create an entire forest garden that everyone else would think is "natural".
                          Since we will be giving minimal care to these plants, any that don't
                          function properly in the system will eventually die off.

                          Of course, this kind of casual management is natural- indigenous people have
                          always tended the plants that sustain them.

                          On 4/8/08, Marc Bailey <playtoe1@...> wrote:

                          > Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these
                          > changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are
                          > forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to
                          > get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take
                          > control of local government officials and has lead to out of control
                          > developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's
                          > pocket.
                          >
                          > The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was
                          > able to positively transform public space:
                          > http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > -Marc

                          Matt

                          This is our grace: To be a note
                          In the exact chord that animates creation

                          -- Deena Metzger

                        • Traveler in Thyme
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 12 11:56 AM
                            Yes, Matthew! Come live in my neighborhood, we have several neighbors who
                            have given me permission to 'scape their land if it can be kept "natural
                            looking", though the job is hopeless unless we thin out the cedar scrub and
                            the whitetail deer. Our fenced back yard looks like a jungle, but almost
                            everything in it is useful to us humans, and the rest is useful to birds and
                            butterflies. Outside the fence, where the deer overgraze, looks like the
                            moon. Overgrazing causes cedar to take over, which kills everything else,
                            but slashing and burning the cedar just makes things worse. The mistakes
                            of the past haunt us here in Central Texas.

                            Marcia Cash
                            ~Traveler in Thyme~