growing food trees in public places

  • Mary Lloyd
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2008
      Hi all,
      I am busy on my edible garden exploring the subject of perennial
      vegetables and having a lot of fun.
      Meanwhile, browsing the database, a comment caught my eye about
      the labour involved in harvesting chestnuts as opposed to wheat as an
      annual. As a small girl living in Kent, my family would always enjoy
      chestnutting trips in the Autumn, and then come home to roast them
      around the fire, or boil them, or eat them raw if the skin still had
      white on and you could easily remove the pith.
      Moving to Wales in my late teens, I was rather disappointed to
      discover that there are few chestnut trees in the Welsh countryside, at
      least in the areas where I have lived. I notice that parks departments
      are fond of growing Horse Chestnut (conkers) and ornamental cherry, and
      a number of show trees that produce no crop, or nothing edible.
      I hope it isn't mean-spiritedness that prevents them from growing
      more useful trees in public places. Why, for instance, don't they grow
      proper fruiting cherries instead of ornamental ones, plums, cob nuts,
      and a few sweet chestnuts to warm our tummies free of charge?
      I can understand that if apples and pears were grown in public
      places, things being as they are these days, no doubt they would be
      ravaged and vandalised before too long. But less-known food-producing
      tree species would not even be noticed, except by those in the
      know....especially if they were planted carefully and not like soldiers
      in a row. Then people hitting hard times would not be short of a meal if
      they were prepared to walk a bit.
      There was a little pear tree on the village green where I lived
      as a girl, and the pears it bore were delicious mini-treats, hardly a
      mouthful a piece. I don't know anyone who was aware of that tree besides
      me and my family, though every year it seemed to produce quite a crop. I
      don't even know if it was wild, or even if there is such a thing as a
      wild pear....but it would be wonderful to taste those things again after
      all these years.
      Todays children rarely seem to know or care about what grows
      wild, and many have no idea where their common food plants come from
      either. I find that very sad, but rather a dark truth that shows how we
      have become an easy-come, easy-go society. Cooking is fashionable
      enough, and no one has an option whether to eat or not. But in
      satisfying the desire for anything we want on the plate, there is rarely
      any thought about food sustainability, and seemingly we treat obtaining
      foods in the same kind of wanton way we have used fuel resources in the
      past.
      If we are going to experience food shortages, as is now
      predicted, now is the time to get planting a few trees like we did...was
      it...45 years ago? "plant a tree in '63"....my my, time does fly! But
      this time lets plant some wherever we can that would bear some kind of a
      useful crop.
      Love, Whinnie
    • Teeter
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2008
        I always wondered the same. Why plant just flowering trees when you could
        plant something useful to everyone on the roadsides or in town. I guess they
        are thinking more on the lines that people wouldnt buy it at the store if
        they could get it free outside. Its a shame everything has come to that. I
        have given away almost 50 peach trees and have pulled up another 25 this
        week from my garden. I lost 5 trees this year from old age and have
        discovered that the trees that popped up about 4 years ago are producing
        now. I think I will find a place to plant these in doubles out in the woods
        in different places. There is a guy that lets people come to his property to
        get fresh spring water so I think I will plant a few on his property. Many
        people go there, even myself. Maybe I could plant a few other things there
        without it being noticed. He doesnt use the property except to let people
        get fresh water so I am sure he wont mind, and it would keep it wooded like
        he wants.

        Theresa

      • Rick van Rein
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
          Hello,

          I would love to see more edible trees in public green as well, and even
          wonder if we'll be in time getting them setup.

          > I can understand that if apples and pears were grown in public
          > places, things being as they are these days, no doubt they would be
          > ravaged and vandalised before too long.

          And the same goes for chestnuts over here. People who are more linked
          to nature (usually Turkish people in NL) tend to do a lot to get
          (at least) their share of the food, including picking it too early
          and climbing into the tree or hitting it to get the harvest down.

          I can see governments avoiding this overactive harvesting practice by
          avoiding edible trees; I can also see them simply being ignorant of an
          upcoming shortage of food and simply choose pretty plants. We have a
          strong tendency in the Western world to separate plants into pretty
          ones and edible ones. I'm attacking that in a local project with a
          600 m2 permaculture which integrates these two aspects, found on
          http://haarlebrink.robstuinaanleg.nl/index.php/Hoofdpagina (in Dutch,
          as this project aims to teach localsnot the World). We're now in the
          second year, and planning tours for the government. Of course we take
          our time to mention what improvements are possible in public green
          space and what purposes it serves. Given our "proof" in this project
          we tend to catch their interest.

          As we enter the era of starvation (or more likely, food on consumption
          tickets supplied by governments) chances are that this knowledge will
          revive and selfish harvesting are started. (Then again, during WW II
          the farmers had enough but I don't think people tried to grow food
          for themselves, or did they?)

          I wonder if we'll be in time before peak oil hits us and food supplies
          drop, but I'm happy about the trend for even slowly-adapting ("let's
          keep everything normal / as is and all will be fine") Netherlands
          towards organic food -- which is likely to be part of the solution.

          Are trees the ultimate solution? Not sure, they give a lot but also
          occupy a lot of space, and usually that's public space. I'd go for
          weeds as a major ingredient in our meals, to be honest. These are
          easily grown, locally adjusted crops but we'll need to get over some
          mental thresholds to get there. I just ran around the allocation
          garden plot where we hold a piece, and noticed edible weeds growing,
          and being ready to eat without being harvested. I wondered why :)

          I started a small company, named GroenGemak (it has a local Dutch focus,
          hence the name which means Easily Durable, although the website is
          bilingual at http://groengemak.nl/en/ ) in which I do things like
          offer advice to people and the local government on subject like these,
          and edible trees are high up on my agenda.

          I've heard about an initiative in Birmingham where people bought apple
          tried en masse and therefore got them at a good price. Almost everybody
          likes to have his own apple tree in their backyard (paved backyards being
          one of the things I fail to understand) and when guided as to how they
          should be pruned, people easily see the point of harvesting from a
          perennial plant such as a tree.

          > Todays children rarely seem to know or care about what grows
          > wild,

          The children in my neighbourhood showed me how to crack hazelnuts and
          eat them. I still am the only adult who collects them as an ingredient
          though.

          > and many have no idea where their common food plants come from
          > either.

          The grow on machines, don't they?

          Well actually they do in more and more casus, "thanks" to in-vitro
          technology...

          I do urge you to talk to your local government, especially in the fashion
          of "adding to their knowledge". You may actually be listened to better
          if you charge for consulting services.

          The way we got in with our local permaculture project is through a project
          to improve the neighbourhood in a social manner -- anything that could
          get people to do things together and see how profitable that is would
          have worked for them. Our project has been a great success in that respect,
          and now we have caught their attention. We'll do all we can to get the
          permaculturally best out of that :)

          Cheers,

          Rick van Rein
          GroenGemak

          http://groengemak.nl/en/
        • Michael Porter
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
            -some examples of good trees for public places are, --Nut trees- especially Pecan, Black walnut, Almond , and their relatives,
            --in warmer areas Moringa and Chaya, would be good, --and Fragrant Spring Tree [ edible foliage] can be grown in a wide range of climates, --these would be better choices than some other fruit trees when human nature is considered, --Michael Porter

          • Martin Naylor
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
              It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open places we are the public

              the joys of scrumping
              martin

              Law? what do I care for the law?Hain't I got the power?
              - Commodore Vanderbilt
              I owe the public nothing.
              - J.P. Morgan

            • Javier Cosp
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                In Paraguay we have a lot of mangoes in public places. They are
                eaten by poor people but most of them goes to the garbage.

                Javier

                Rick van Rein <rick@...> wrote:
> [...]

                though.

                > and many have no idea where their common food plants come from
                > either.

                The grow on machines, don't they?

                Well actually they do in more and more casus, "thanks" to in-vitro
                technology...

                I do urge you to talk to your local government, especially in the fashion
                of "adding to their knowledge". You may actually be listened to better
                if you charge for consulting services.

                The way we got in with our local permaculture project is through a project
                to improve the neighbourhood in a social manner -- anything that could
                get people to do things together and see how profitable that is would
                have worked for them. Our project has been a great success in that respect,
                and now we have caught their attention. We'll do all we can to get the

              • Traveler in Thyme
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                  During my terms as Arbor Day chairman for the Garden Club, and also working
                  with professional landscapers, I've been told over and over that nobody
                  wants fruit or nut trees in parks or along streets because of the Mess.
                  Foolish humans. If you pick all the fruit, there is no mess! But the
                  persist in planting "flowering pears" and "flowering plums" that bear no
                  fruits, and disallowing vegetables in front lawns.

                  Also, I've read that plants within 25 feet of a busy street, or 75 feet from
                  a highway, are often contaminated with large amounts of lead and other
                  exhaust fumes. What used to be the runoff gullies for creeks, where the
                  good soil accumulates, are now mostly drainage ditches and covered culverts,
                  and even if tasty weeds grow there, they are not safe to eat.

                  I lived on pecans picked up along the streets when I was a college student
                  in Austin.......it always amazes me how many go to waste when they are
                  within easy reach. You must respect the rights of the owners, but they
                  often do not care, or they would obviously have harvested the crops
                  themselves. ????

                  Marcia Cash
                  ~Traveler in Thyme~

                • ariel023
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7, 2008
                    Hi all

                    Olives and figs are common here in public places
                    along roads you may even find the prickly pear and lots of
                    date palm and Carob

                    tThe male mullberry, pecans along roads are rather newly
                    planted

                    Various citrus rootstocks, passionfruits and grapes are also
                    common but in specific cities

                    No mango is planted here on a road side or public
                  • Michael Porter

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                        excuse me? The public consists of everybody as a whole not of
                        errant individuals. And The Public via its elected representatives
                        has made laws you'd best check on.

                        Or you risk destruction of illegal plantings which is a waste of your
                        time and efforts and of the plants themselves, and maybe a fine.

                        Check with your local jurisdiction about this stuff. If you have to
                        go before a city planning commission or something do so.

                        Mary Christine Erikson

                        In a message dated 4/7/2008 3:12:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                        martinwnaylor@... writes:

                        It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open places we are
                        the public

                      • vic_doyle
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                          Elected Representatives make up all sorts of crap laws and policies
                          which have led to immense Oil Wars dressed as "Human Rights" and
                          young people living in places were there are no facilities unless you
                          own a car. In fact the "1984" style "dumbing down and law making" is
                          leading to lives where you're banned from smoking a cigarette but
                          have no redress to living in towns and cities choked by petrol and
                          diesel fumes and vehicle smog & noise.

                          If the lawmakers designed a racehorse it would look like Camel,
                          that's why they don't plant fruit trees in public places.

                          Bring on the Free Food Tree Planters and leave the Nimby Gas guzzling
                          Fascists in their plastic/asbestos/MDF offices to ROT I say.

                          On a lighter note:

                          By the way, I plant redcurrant bushes all over the place, they are
                          easy to transplant and are a beautiful and useful plant which
                          introduces to children that food doesn't just come from Wallmart
                          (next to the Gun Counter!).

                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Infowolf1@... wrote:

                          > excuse me? The public consists of everybody as a whole not of
                          > errant individuals. And The Public via its elected representatives
                          > has made laws you'd best check on.
                          >
                          > Or you risk destruction of illegal plantings which is a waste of
                          your
                          > time and efforts and of the plants themselves, and maybe a fine.
                          >
                          > Check with your local jurisdiction about this stuff. If you have to
                          > go before a city planning commission or something do so.
                          >
                          > Mary Christine Erikson
                          >

                          > In a message dated 4/7/2008 3:12:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                          > martinwnaylor@... writes:
                          >
                          > It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open
                          places we are
                          > the public
                          >

                          > **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel
                          Guides.
                          > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?
                          ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

                        • vic_doyle
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                            Exactly! If the fumes are poisining the plants, what are the fumes
                            doing to us? Ban the car not fruit!

                            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Traveler in Thyme" <marcia@...> wrote:

                            > During my terms as Arbor Day chairman for the Garden Club, and also
                            working
                            > with professional landscapers, I've been told over and over that
                            nobody
                            > wants fruit or nut trees in parks or along streets because of the
                            Mess.
                            > Foolish humans. If you pick all the fruit, there is no mess!
                            But the
                            > persist in planting "flowering pears" and "flowering plums" that
                            bear no
                            > fruits, and disallowing vegetables in front lawns.
                            >
                            > Also, I've read that plants within 25 feet of a busy street, or 75
                            feet from
                            > a highway, are often contaminated with large amounts of lead and
                            other
                            > exhaust fumes. What used to be the runoff gullies for creeks,
                            where the
                            > good soil accumulates, are now mostly drainage ditches and covered
                            culverts,
                            > and even if tasty weeds grow there, they are not safe to eat.
                            >
                            > I lived on pecans picked up along the streets when I was a college
                            student
                            > in Austin.......it always amazes me how many go to waste when they
                            are
                            > within easy reach. You must respect the rights of the owners, but
                            they
                            > often do not care, or they would obviously have harvested the crops
                            > themselves. ????
                            >
                            > Marcia Cash
                            > ~Traveler in Thyme~

                          • Marc Bailey
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 8, 2008
                              Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take control of local government officials and has lead to out of control developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's pocket.

                              The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was able to positively transform public space:
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related

                              Cheers,
                              -Marc

                              martinwnaylor@ yahoo.com. au writes:

                              It may not be illegal to plant plants and trees in public open places we are
                              the public

                              ************ **Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.
                              (http://travel. aol.com/travel- guide/united- states?ncid= aoltrv0003000000 0016)

                              <!--

                              #ygrp-mkp{
                              #ygrp-mkp hr{
                              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                              margin-bottom:10px;}
                              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                              padding:0 0;}
                              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                              -->

                              <!--

                              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                              font-family:Arial;}
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                              -->

                              <!--

                              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                              #ygrp-text{
                              font-family:Georgia;
                              }
                              #ygrp-text p{
                              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                              font-family:Arial;
                              clear:both;}
                              #ygrp-vitnav{
                              #ygrp-vitnav a{
                              padding:0 1px;}
                              #ygrp-actbar{
                              #ygrp-actbar .left{
                              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                              #ygrp-grft{
                              #ygrp-ft{
                              padding:5px 0;
                              }
                              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                              padding-bottom:10px;}

                              #ygrp-reco {
                              margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
                              #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
                              font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

                              #reco-grpname{
                              font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
                              #reco-category{
                              font-size:77%;}
                              #reco-desc{
                              font-size:77%;}

                              #ygrp-vital{
                              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                              #ygrp-vital ul{
                              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                              #ygrp-vital ul li{
                              }
                              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                              font-weight:bold;}
                              #ygrp-vital a{
                              text-decoration:none;}

                              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                              text-decoration:underline;}

                              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                              padding:8px 0;}
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                              text-decoration:none;}
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                              text-decoration:underline;}
                              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                              margin:0;}
                              o{font-size:0;}
                              .MsoNormal{
                              margin:0 0 0 0;}
                              #ygrp-text tt{
                              font-size:120%;}
                              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                              .replbq{margin:4;}
                              -->

                            • ingrid glass
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 9, 2008
                                Just seen this about to be published : http://www.guerrillagardening.org/onguerrillagardening.html

                                It's a pity the link to buy goes to Amazon - order from your local independent bookstore!! Ingrid
                              • Mathew Waehner
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 9, 2008
                                  I do a bit of gardening in public and abandoned places, but not quite the
                                  same as we've been talking about here- I would describe it as casual
                                  foraging permaculture. For example, when I gather wild blackberries, I
                                  groom them by cutting the Japanese honeysuckle that tries to overtake them.
                                  I'm also planning to sow seeds from my forest garden plants throughout my
                                  city's greenway system.

                                  Maybe the place to put our edible plants is the semi- wild perimeter of
                                  public spaces. I think that good permaculture food forestry looks like a
                                  natural forest to the casual eye.

                                  If we are willing to work with native plants and small seedlings, we could
                                  create an entire forest garden that everyone else would think is "natural".
                                  Since we will be giving minimal care to these plants, any that don't
                                  function properly in the system will eventually die off.

                                  Of course, this kind of casual management is natural- indigenous people have
                                  always tended the plants that sustain them.

                                  On 4/8/08, Marc Bailey <playtoe1@...> wrote:

                                  > Its often not practical to start with government to begin making these
                                  > changes. Instead of listening to their constituents many politicians are
                                  > forced to follow the money in order to have the funds to buy the airtime to
                                  > get reelected. In southern california developers have managed to take
                                  > control of local government officials and has lead to out of control
                                  > developments that often isn't in the interest of anyone but the developer's
                                  > pocket.
                                  >
                                  > The following video covers this concept very well and ways that a city was
                                  > able to positively transform public space:
                                  > http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVq0exoGySc&feature=related
                                  >
                                  > Cheers,
                                  > -Marc

                                  Matt

                                  This is our grace: To be a note
                                  In the exact chord that animates creation

                                  -- Deena Metzger

                                • Traveler in Thyme
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 12, 2008
                                    Yes, Matthew! Come live in my neighborhood, we have several neighbors who
                                    have given me permission to 'scape their land if it can be kept "natural
                                    looking", though the job is hopeless unless we thin out the cedar scrub and
                                    the whitetail deer. Our fenced back yard looks like a jungle, but almost
                                    everything in it is useful to us humans, and the rest is useful to birds and
                                    butterflies. Outside the fence, where the deer overgraze, looks like the
                                    moon. Overgrazing causes cedar to take over, which kills everything else,
                                    but slashing and burning the cedar just makes things worse. The mistakes
                                    of the past haunt us here in Central Texas.

                                    Marcia Cash
                                    ~Traveler in Thyme~