Five: Odd Plant Relatives

  • daniel wildman
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2008
      http://mygardenguide.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1043&Itemid=27

    • Travis Philp
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2008
        Hmmm, so sumac is a relative of the cashew?!?! Does that mean I could graft cashew scions onto a sumac? That would be insane!

        Travis

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2008
          Hi Travis: I am kind of new to this group, but not new to plant, But I didnt know that some of these plants were related.
          That is why I post this article. I am sure there are others that were surprized,an some who already knew. If yo do graf cashew scions (which are what?) onto a sumac, let me know how it turns out, I be intrested to know the out come. Dan

          Hmmm, so sumac is a relative of the cashew?!?! Does that mean I could graft cashew scions onto a sumac? That would be insane!

          Travis

            Yeah I'll let the group know if it works out. I don't know where I'm going to get cashew cuttings from though as I'm up in Canada which I'm guessing is a far cry from the nearest cashew orchard. And Dan, just for your information... Scions are cuttings; detached roots or twigs which are grafted onto root stock.

            Travis

            From: daniel wildman <spiderman18102@ yahoo.com>
            To: pfaf@yahoogroups. com
            Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

            http://mygardenguid e.com/index. php?option= com_content& task=view& id=1043&Itemid= 27

          • Infowolf1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2008
              remember, the cashews and their rinds are poisonous until
              cooked. So called raw are just not roasted as much.

              Mary Christine

              In a message dated 3/31/2008 2:42:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
              trphilp@... writes:

              Yeah I'll let the group know if it works out. I don't know where I'm going
              to get cashew cuttings from though as I'm up in Canada which I'm guessing is a
              far cry from the nearest cashew orchard. And Dan, just for your
              information.Yeah I'll let the group know if it works out. I don't know where I'm going to
              get

              Travis

              Hmmm, so sumac is a relative of the cashew?!?! Does that mean I could graft
              cashew scions onto a sumac? That would be insane!

              Travis

              com_content& task=view& id=1043&Itemid= 27

              Home.

            • daniel wildman
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
                Travis: Thank you for the info. about what Scions are, I was not familiar what that term, that is why I ask. I will add it to my list of ever learning new things.. Dan