permaculture in Florida

  • denise_of_e
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2002
      Hi there,

      I am new to this group, but not entirely new to the ideas of
      permaculture. I am seeking to apply them to my realm of influence --
      my home and yard in Tampa, Florida

      Around my home I am seeking to put in edible and useful plants
      which will require a minimum of care. One common difficulty is that
      standard growing instructions are not entirely applicable to
      Florida. Often plants which require full sun in other climates are
      burned by direct sun here -- they do better in partial shade.

      I am seeking advice for establishing a planting area on the
      northside of my house. This planting area is shady Oct through Feb,
      but receives a fair bit of sun in the warmer months when the sun
      sets further to the north.

      What kinds of edible useful plants are likely to do well in this
      location?