Re: Cardboard - toxic or not?

  • vic_doyle
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
      Any company making cardboard should have a COSHH care of substance
      harmful to health register, all chemicals In the UK anyway) used in
      an employment situation have to be recorded and made available to
      operatives using it.

      Alternatively check out any skips or waste areas at the factory.

      There must be information on the net about what glue is used in
      cardboard production.

      Anyway. Permaculturists often joke about how worms love cardboard
      glue, so I think its probably nothing that nature can't handle, and
      the permaculture police would have made sure we all know if there was
      a bad cardboard glue around?

      And cardboard. Is it always made from reclaimed/ recycled paper?

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "cromlech108" <cromlech108@...> wrote:

      > Yes sure, I'm sure you have to be careful in strick organic
      regulation
      > terms with using scavenged stuff...but I don't think its s real
      factor
      > in the garden. I used to think and belive and experience magic from
      > free use, from stuff made at home, being more powerful and more pure
      > than a purchased commodity, whether or not it included a small
      amount
      > of what technically might be a poison...to make what becomes some
      sort
      > of magical alchemy that has magical power!...to see that magic fade
      > and get squeezed out...depressing when you know its *true*, but you
      > just don't have the right set and setting to do the experiment
      > properly. I did think actually, of travelling over to Morrocco, and
      > walk round relevent areas untill I find the right place, either by
      > gift, lease or freehold in which to make a forest garden, within a
      > society of relevent and useful religious context...thats important
      for
      > the right head trip...without respect, its like pissing in the wind,
      > and I just don't think that respect is possible here in the UK from
      > various quarters, especially the state/government. Basically due to
      > the lack of 'real time magic' I feel half alive here, trapped in
      > materialism. Mind wrenchingly boring. Hard slog, nothing else until
      > death.
      >
      > Allah Akbar
      >
      > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Cesca Beamish" <cesca@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers
      > license and
      > > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated
      > because of the
      > > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I
      am
      > going to
      > > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard
      company
      > > manages to say anything specific!
      > >

      > > Cesca
      > >

      > > _____

    • Juliano
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
        HI man

        I really feel you, and am so sad you feel that way. I cannot softsoap you, patronize you, and tell you to look at the sunny side, because I spend a lot of my time trying to get through to people the real state of things and to wake UP.

        I will just say that as well as seeing the encroaching straightjacket close around us, we still must allow spirit of defiance even in the face of crazies trying to control how we think, etc.

        Things stay with me that I have heard , read etc. For example, I remember reading a Native American elder talking to some youth and he told them that : Look, things are going to go faster and faster and faster. So you must go slower and slower and slower"

        hah, I LOVE that. That is not conforming to the imposed opression being pushed by the schools, the media, economic pressures, one's own inculcated protestant work ethic which is a 'programming' that can make people feel guilty if not doing 'anything'.

        Even look at how all the programmes, film, are fast edited. All this makes the brain want faster faster. keep them experiences comin faster faster faster. Many kids are bored bored bored with Nature! So are drinking and drugging it. And not many adults have anty answers because they have lost the thread of knowing where to look.

        Hey man. I am with you . Am in same boat. And thanks for saying it ;)

        regarde

        Juliano
        Yes sure, I'm sure you have to be careful in strick organic regulation
        terms with using scavenged stuff...but I don't think its s real factor
        in the garden. I used to think and belive and experience magic from
        free use, from stuff made at home, being more powerful and more pure
        than a purchased commodity, whether or not it included a small amount
        of what technically might be a poison...to make what becomes some sort
        of magical alchemy that has magical power!...to see that magic fade
        and get squeezed out...depressing when you know its *true*, but you
        just don't have the right set and setting to do the experiment
        properly. I did think actually, of travelling over to Morrocco, and
        walk round relevent areas untill I find the right place, either by
        gift, lease or freehold in which to make a forest garden, within a
        society of relevent and useful religious context...thats important for
        the right head trip...without respect, its like pissing in the wind,
        and I just don't think that respect is possible here in the UK from
        various quarters, especially the state/government. Basically due to
        the lack of 'real time magic' I feel half alive here, trapped in
        materialism. Mind wrenchingly boring. Hard slog, nothing else until
        death.

        Allah Akbar

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Cesca Beamish" <cesca@...> wrote:

        > I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers
        license and
        > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated
        because of the
        > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I am
        going to
        > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard company
        > manages to say anything specific!
        >

        > Cesca
        >

        > _____

      • Dan Culbertson
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
          From
          http://www.smalltimes.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?ARTICLE_ID=269497&p=109
          "cardboard manufacturers currently use about four billion pounds of
          cornstarch adhesives a year to glue together the paper layers that make up
          corrugated containers. (Cardboard is actually composed of multiple sheets of
          thick, stiff paper)."
          So I don't think the glue is the main issue - though they might add
          something nasty to that cornstarch. I suspect a bigger problem might be the
          fire retardants and moisture repellents that are used on some, not all,
          corrugated cardboard. From what I've heard informally, non-corrugated
          boxboard (like breakfast cereal or carcker boxes) supposedly have insect
          repellents in them so bugs won't get in the food - I wonder if that is also
          true of some corrugated? Wouldn't want roaches in the warehouse to fest on
          all that tasty cornstarch! At any rate, since it is impossible to know for
          certain what industry is putting in all those things I'd rather use
          agricultural plastic for a temporary weed or turf smothering mulch then
          remove it and use leaves and such to maintain the area weed free. There is
          always the possibility that plastic is leachig someting or other into the
          soil but I think it is pretty certain that cardboard adds something or other
          not natural to the soil when it decomposes. Choose your poison! Personally
          I am more paranoid about cardboard so that is on my no-no list. Might
          change that later as I get more info on what is or isn't eaching from
          plastic. Maybe we should just use a good, hot, propane weed torch followed
          by a leaf mulch. Or a slash and char technique that would add charcoal to
          the soil.

          Dan

          >I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers license and
          > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated because of
          > the
          > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I am going
          > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard company
          > manages to say anything specific!
          >

          > Cesca
        • Travis Philp
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
            Hi Cesca. Thanks for the input. Does your soil association have a website or email address? I'd like to ask them more about their ban on cardboard. I had read somewhere that the glue which bonds the sheets together in corrugated cardboard was vegetable starch based but who knows what else they add in there.

            As for calling cardboard companies...thats why I've held off until now. I don't expect straight answers from them.

            Travis

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
              Hey Vic,

              I'm sure nature can handle it but if its toxic I'd like to keep it out of my food is all.

              And as for the permaculture police; black plastic is well known as toxic and highly leachable but it is still widely present in much of the literature I've read on permaculture.

              I don't think all cardboard is made from recycled paper but if it was I'd be worried. Bleach residue isn't something I want in my body.

              Cesca: I just remembered that a certified organic farm I interned for was allowed to use cardboard as long as there were no inks, or tape. I'm not saying this trumps the cert. board you speak of but I just thought I'd put that out there. Maybe the board I dealt with just didn't do its homework.

              Travis
              Any company making cardboard should have a COSHH care of substance
              harmful to health register, all chemicals In the UK anyway) used in
              an employment situation have to be recorded and made available to
              operatives using it.

              Alternatively check out any skips or waste areas at the factory.

              There must be information on the net about what glue is used in
              cardboard production.

              Anyway. Permaculturists often joke about how worms love cardboard
              glue, so I think its probably nothing that nature can't handle, and
              the permaculture police would have made sure we all know if there was
              a bad cardboard glue around?

              And cardboard. Is it always made from reclaimed/ recycled paper?

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "cromlech108" <cromlech108@...> wrote:

              > Yes sure, I'm sure you have to be careful in strick organic
              regulation
              > terms with using scavenged stuff...but I don't think its s real
              factor
              > in the garden. I used to think and belive and experience magic from
              > free use, from stuff made at home, being more powerful and more pure
              > than a purchased commodity, whether or not it included a small
              amount
              > of what technically might be a poison...to make what becomes some
              sort
              > of magical alchemy that has magical power!...to see that magic fade
              > and get squeezed out...depressing when you know its *true*, but you
              > just don't have the right set and setting to do the experiment
              > properly. I did think actually, of travelling over to Morrocco, and
              > walk round relevent areas untill I find the right place, either by
              > gift, lease or freehold in which to make a forest garden, within a
              > society of relevent and useful religious context...thats important
              for
              > the right head trip...without respect, its like pissing in the wind,
              > and I just don't think that respect is possible here in the UK from
              > various quarters, especially the state/government. Basically due to
              > the lack of 'real time magic' I feel half alive here, trapped in
              > materialism. Mind wrenchingly boring. Hard slog, nothing else until
              > death.
              >
              > Allah Akbar
              >
              > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Cesca Beamish" <cesca@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers
              > license and
              > > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated
              > because of the
              > > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I
              am
              > going to
              > > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard
              company
              > > manages to say anything specific!
              > >

              > > Cesca
              > >

              > > _____

            • vic_doyle
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 11, 2008
                Hi again Travis,

                The black plastic is used as a cover to warm the soil up, not "mixed
                with the food", I can't see black plastic "leaching" to any
                significant level, I don't use it, i prefer forest gardening, but
                cardboard is an excellent mulch mat for new trees.

                I think I read somewhere that animal glues are used, these have been
                used for many years, perhaps because they don'e need a chemical
                additive, the contamination could be compared to the air that we
                breathe which is contaminated with car/airplane exhaust, it just
                seems to me that cardboard is an extremely useful waste product, and
                in terms of chemical content, its probably no more dangerous than
                reading a newspaper and getting ink on your fingers, or even "looking
                at a computer screen".

                Thats all!

                Vic

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Philp" <trphilp@...> wrote:

                > Hey Vic,
                >
                > I'm sure nature can handle it but if its toxic I'd like to keep it
                out of my food is all.

                > And as for the permaculture police; black plastic is well known as
                toxic and highly leachable but it is still widely present in much of
                the literature I've read on permaculture.

                > I don't think all cardboard is made from recycled paper but if it
                was I'd be worried. Bleach residue isn't something I want in my body.

                > Cesca: I just remembered that a certified organic farm I interned
                for was allowed to use cardboard as long as there were no inks, or
                tape. I'm not saying this trumps the cert. board you speak of but I
                just thought I'd put that out there. Maybe the board I dealt with
                just didn't do its homework.

                > Travis

              • BT Benjaminson
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 11, 2008
                  I was told by a cardboard box maker here in Israel that the glue is definitely toxic but the paper itself is not toxic.
                  I bought some of that brown paper used to make boxes, and put it as mulch around some important plants, and I don't think the plants like it at all.
                  So I am planning to stop using it.
                  Bat-tzion Benjaminson
                  Negev desert, Israel

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 11, 2008
                    I understand how the black plastic is used. I've worked on a farm that used it extensively. I saw it tear and weaken from sun and water damage. Water is a great eroding and leaching agent and heat (from the sun in this case) is very good at making plastics highly leachable. With all the findings about various plastic products (eg. water bottles) leaching dioxins and other toxins into our bodies I don't think its far fetched to say there is a high possibility that black plastic leaches crap into soils.

                    Anyhow, you don't even use the stuff so hats off to you. I'd love to have land to be able to plant a forest garden. You're lucky :)

                    If it were just myself I was feeding I wouldn't care so much about the possible toxins in cardboard. I'm more concerned about using the cardboard instead of it going through a recycling process and the pollution that entails. I am responsible for a community garden which serves a number of foodbanks, as well as individual gardeners. So far we have only done sheet mulch/lasagne style bed prep and I would like to be able to give them the proper information regarding this issue.

                    Travis
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 14, 2008
                      Its the cultural set and setting of the place that I was born into
                      that I object to. Its deadening..due to the lack of, well I've said it
                      enough times before...no magic, no belief in magic, all materialsim or
                      some sort of half baked/right wing con trick type christianity.
                      Ridiculas and unreal harrassment from the police due to dreadlocks/new
                      agre traveller peace convoy record from years ago. They are like
                      elephants and never forget due to their 'intellegence' records. Its
                      just all designed to implode any real magic and have work/materialism
                      instead and THAT is the deadening thing to the spirit...the witch
                      within. Yes I can win at that game and am doing so in fine fine style
                      thank you...Inshallah, heading towards a profit on my business
                      activities of £300000 no less this year. Inshallah as I say, because
                      you have to be humble. Nice to know there are fellow edible tree
                      enthusiasts around the world. I'm currently planting up an arboretum
                      of 'edibles'in east Sussex and have just exchanged contracts on 7.5
                      acres just by where I live on Anglesey also (no grey squirrels on
                      Anglsey which is a huge bonus for nut tree growing!) I always wanted
                      to do this because though I liked to plant trees out in the
                      wild/gurellia planting, lots failed or got trashed and its depressing
                      when you've planted lots of trees in among gorse bushes and then you
                      see the landowner grubbing up all those tree nursery sancturies. I
                      also will have respect from the local mainstream nazi types in terms
                      of business success by the end of all this. (as for new
                      age/alternative types, well you couldn't be more out of order if you
                      set your mind to it eh 'beast', forget it, bye bye scum)

                      Yes again, most local folks are sound, but again probably due to the
                      dreadlocks 'disguise' I can perceive quite easily who are the 'nice
                      guys' and who are the fascists amongst the local folk and farmers. I
                      think the eco warrior stint has made me less tolerant actually, made
                      it into a 'respect issue' with these so and so's. I simple wont put up
                      with it now. Then again its really something I have to let go of as
                      I'm not actually in the position that I would be perhaps in the
                      Pashtun tribal areas where what I have done would be honoured by local
                      people as they are more awake in terms of tribal values than in
                      heavily colonialised Wales, UK, where the pervert power colonialsit
                      state is the 'power' rather than tribal values and leadership. You
                      have to let go and not take it so seriously here because honour cannot
                      be asserted here, without running into trouble with their order, their
                      cops and all the rest of it. I do feel it would be different in
                      Morrocco say, it was in India due to magic/religion. I don't think if
                      I was able to tap into again this primal alchemic community wide
                      consciousness/reality shift thing again as an individual saint, that
                      the authorities there would try and sabatarge by some very nasty and
                      sick head games at the very least. That seem to be the score in Blighty.

                      Deep, sorry, just got some pinus pinea seed, more than I need so lets
                      try sharing again.

                      Ta

                      Jim

                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Juliano" <juliano8@...> wrote:

                      > HI man
                      >
                      > I really feel you, and am so sad you feel that way. I cannot
                      softsoap you, patronize you, and tell you to look at the sunny side,
                      because I spend a lot of my time trying to get through to people the
                      real state of things and to wake UP.

                      > I will just say that as well as seeing the encroaching
                      straightjacket close around us, we still must allow spirit of defiance
                      even in the face of crazies trying to control how we think, etc.

                      > Things stay with me that I have heard , read etc. For example, I
                      remember reading a Native American elder talking to some youth and he
                      told them that : Look, things are going to go faster and faster and
                      faster. So you must go slower and slower and slower"

                      > hah, I LOVE that. That is not conforming to the imposed opression
                      being pushed by the schools, the media, economic pressures, one's own
                      inculcated protestant work ethic which is a 'programming' that can
                      make people feel guilty if not doing 'anything'.

                      > Even look at how all the programmes, film, are fast edited. All this
                      makes the brain want faster faster. keep them experiences comin faster
                      faster faster. Many kids are bored bored bored with Nature! So are
                      drinking and drugging it. And not many adults have anty answers
                      because they have lost the thread of knowing where to look.

                      > Hey man. I am with you . Am in same boat. And thanks for saying it ;)
                      >
                      > regarde
                      >
                      > Juliano

                      09/03/2008 12:17

                    • cromlech108
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 14, 2008
                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "cromlech108" <cromlech108@...> wrote:

                        > I'm currently planting up an arboretum
                        > of 'edibles'in east Sussex and have just exchanged contracts on 7.5
                        > acres just by where I live on Anglesey also

                        I thought afterwards people in other parts of the world might be
                        thinking - huh 7.5 acres, thats nothing. Get this: that land cost a
                        barely credible £72000. Thats around £10000/acre. Unreal price for
                        North Wales...possibly the seaside factor coming in there, Anglseys
                        has become very fashionable recently, and Red Wharf Bay, an exclusive
                        and desirable area. The initial guide price was £18000 for the lot. I
                        was AB-SOL-UTE-LY determined to buy it. I had to buy it. Fortunatly I
                        am selling some land elsewhere at an equally silly price, and so could
                        bid up to that price. Its very sweet area of land and is right in
                        front of my cottage there. I had to buy it....its a wooded mound, so
                        you can see the trees on it laid out in front of you across a small
                        private valley. the previous owner was tree nut and so its well
                        managed with the Foresrt Commissions conifers having been replaced
                        with natives, especially oak, in a planned way...as more gaps are
                        opened up I shall plant nut and fruit trees for my friends, the birds!

                        Blessings.

                        TIBETAN TRIBAL SOVEREIGNTY!

                        ;)