RE: [pfaf] Cardboard - toxic or not?

  • Cesca Beamish
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 9 1:04 PM
      I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers license and
      was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated because of the
      glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I am going to
      see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard company
      manages to say anything specific!

      Cesca

      _____

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 10 3:20 AM
        Yes sure, I'm sure you have to be careful in strick organic regulation
        terms with using scavenged stuff...but I don't think its s real factor
        in the garden. I used to think and belive and experience magic from
        free use, from stuff made at home, being more powerful and more pure
        than a purchased commodity, whether or not it included a small amount
        of what technically might be a poison...to make what becomes some sort
        of magical alchemy that has magical power!...to see that magic fade
        and get squeezed out...depressing when you know its *true*, but you
        just don't have the right set and setting to do the experiment
        properly. I did think actually, of travelling over to Morrocco, and
        walk round relevent areas untill I find the right place, either by
        gift, lease or freehold in which to make a forest garden, within a
        society of relevent and useful religious context...thats important for
        the right head trip...without respect, its like pissing in the wind,
        and I just don't think that respect is possible here in the UK from
        various quarters, especially the state/government. Basically due to
        the lack of 'real time magic' I feel half alive here, trapped in
        materialism. Mind wrenchingly boring. Hard slog, nothing else until
        death.

        Allah Akbar

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Cesca Beamish" <cesca@...> wrote:

        > I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers
        license and
        > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated
        because of the
        > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I am
        going to
        > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard company
        > manages to say anything specific!
        >

        > Cesca
        >

        > _____

        Of Travis
        > Philp
        > Sent: 01 March 2008 20:59
        > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [pfaf] Cardboard - toxic or not?
        >

        > Thanks for all of your input everyone, though I feel like I'm more
        confused
        > than when I started :)
        >
        > I do only use cardboard in the first year of my garden beds but I am
        still
        > concerned about what that leaves behind. I feel more confident in
        cardboard
        > than I do black plastic or bio mulch but I'd still like to know
        exactly what
        > I'm putting in my soil. It may be something that doesn't leach out. The
        > quantity of toxins left behind may not be large but with some toxins
        as you
        > probably no...it doesn't take much to do a lot of damage. I'm very
        concerned
        > with water retardants that may be present in the cardboard and what
        that may
        > include in its ingredients.
        >
        > As for safe alternative paper sources such as hemp...I don't think
        they're
        > very abundant here in Ontario Canada. Hemp is just beginning to become a
        > local industry and I am not aware of any hemp paper producers within
        > feasible distance of my home.
        >
        > I think I'll call Smurfit-Stone (cardboard producer) and see if I
        can get a
        > straight answer from them. I'm guessing their definition of toxic is
        looser
        > than mine though.
        >
        > I practice a similar style of lasagne garden bed preparation as
        mentioned in
        > a previous post and I've been thinking of replacing the cardboard
        layer with
        > an extra layer of leaves or straw. It may not be quite as effective but
        > should do the trick. Unfortunately I have to get my mulch materials from
        > offsite because I garden at my college's community garden and therefore
        > cannot grow my own mulch plants.
        >
        > Travis
      • vic_doyle
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 10 3:56 AM
          Any company making cardboard should have a COSHH care of substance
          harmful to health register, all chemicals In the UK anyway) used in
          an employment situation have to be recorded and made available to
          operatives using it.

          Alternatively check out any skips or waste areas at the factory.

          There must be information on the net about what glue is used in
          cardboard production.

          Anyway. Permaculturists often joke about how worms love cardboard
          glue, so I think its probably nothing that nature can't handle, and
          the permaculture police would have made sure we all know if there was
          a bad cardboard glue around?

          And cardboard. Is it always made from reclaimed/ recycled paper?

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "cromlech108" <cromlech108@...> wrote:

          > Yes sure, I'm sure you have to be careful in strick organic
          regulation
          > terms with using scavenged stuff...but I don't think its s real
          factor
          > in the garden. I used to think and belive and experience magic from
          > free use, from stuff made at home, being more powerful and more pure
          > than a purchased commodity, whether or not it included a small
          amount
          > of what technically might be a poison...to make what becomes some
          sort
          > of magical alchemy that has magical power!...to see that magic fade
          > and get squeezed out...depressing when you know its *true*, but you
          > just don't have the right set and setting to do the experiment
          > properly. I did think actually, of travelling over to Morrocco, and
          > walk round relevent areas untill I find the right place, either by
          > gift, lease or freehold in which to make a forest garden, within a
          > society of relevent and useful religious context...thats important
          for
          > the right head trip...without respect, its like pissing in the wind,
          > and I just don't think that respect is possible here in the UK from
          > various quarters, especially the state/government. Basically due to
          > the lack of 'real time magic' I feel half alive here, trapped in
          > materialism. Mind wrenchingly boring. Hard slog, nothing else until
          > death.
          >
          > Allah Akbar
          >
          > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Cesca Beamish" <cesca@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers
          > license and
          > > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated
          > because of the
          > > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I
          am
          > going to
          > > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard
          company
          > > manages to say anything specific!
          > >

          > > Cesca
          > >

          > > _____

        • Juliano
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 10 5:29 AM
            HI man

            I really feel you, and am so sad you feel that way. I cannot softsoap you, patronize you, and tell you to look at the sunny side, because I spend a lot of my time trying to get through to people the real state of things and to wake UP.

            I will just say that as well as seeing the encroaching straightjacket close around us, we still must allow spirit of defiance even in the face of crazies trying to control how we think, etc.

            Things stay with me that I have heard , read etc. For example, I remember reading a Native American elder talking to some youth and he told them that : Look, things are going to go faster and faster and faster. So you must go slower and slower and slower"

            hah, I LOVE that. That is not conforming to the imposed opression being pushed by the schools, the media, economic pressures, one's own inculcated protestant work ethic which is a 'programming' that can make people feel guilty if not doing 'anything'.

            Even look at how all the programmes, film, are fast edited. All this makes the brain want faster faster. keep them experiences comin faster faster faster. Many kids are bored bored bored with Nature! So are drinking and drugging it. And not many adults have anty answers because they have lost the thread of knowing where to look.

            Hey man. I am with you . Am in same boat. And thanks for saying it ;)

            regarde

            Juliano
            Yes sure, I'm sure you have to be careful in strick organic regulation
            terms with using scavenged stuff...but I don't think its s real factor
            in the garden. I used to think and belive and experience magic from
            free use, from stuff made at home, being more powerful and more pure
            than a purchased commodity, whether or not it included a small amount
            of what technically might be a poison...to make what becomes some sort
            of magical alchemy that has magical power!...to see that magic fade
            and get squeezed out...depressing when you know its *true*, but you
            just don't have the right set and setting to do the experiment
            properly. I did think actually, of travelling over to Morrocco, and
            walk round relevent areas untill I find the right place, either by
            gift, lease or freehold in which to make a forest garden, within a
            society of relevent and useful religious context...thats important for
            the right head trip...without respect, its like pissing in the wind,
            and I just don't think that respect is possible here in the UK from
            various quarters, especially the state/government. Basically due to
            the lack of 'real time magic' I feel half alive here, trapped in
            materialism. Mind wrenchingly boring. Hard slog, nothing else until
            death.

            Allah Akbar

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Cesca Beamish" <cesca@...> wrote:

            > I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers
            license and
            > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated
            because of the
            > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I am
            going to
            > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard company
            > manages to say anything specific!
            >

            > Cesca
            >

            > _____

          • Dan Culbertson
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 10 7:47 AM
              From
              http://www.smalltimes.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?ARTICLE_ID=269497&p=109
              "cardboard manufacturers currently use about four billion pounds of
              cornstarch adhesives a year to glue together the paper layers that make up
              corrugated containers. (Cardboard is actually composed of multiple sheets of
              thick, stiff paper)."
              So I don't think the glue is the main issue - though they might add
              something nasty to that cornstarch. I suspect a bigger problem might be the
              fire retardants and moisture repellents that are used on some, not all,
              corrugated cardboard. From what I've heard informally, non-corrugated
              boxboard (like breakfast cereal or carcker boxes) supposedly have insect
              repellents in them so bugs won't get in the food - I wonder if that is also
              true of some corrugated? Wouldn't want roaches in the warehouse to fest on
              all that tasty cornstarch! At any rate, since it is impossible to know for
              certain what industry is putting in all those things I'd rather use
              agricultural plastic for a temporary weed or turf smothering mulch then
              remove it and use leaves and such to maintain the area weed free. There is
              always the possibility that plastic is leachig someting or other into the
              soil but I think it is pretty certain that cardboard adds something or other
              not natural to the soil when it decomposes. Choose your poison! Personally
              I am more paranoid about cardboard so that is on my no-no list. Might
              change that later as I get more info on what is or isn't eaching from
              plastic. Maybe we should just use a good, hot, propane weed torch followed
              by a leaf mulch. Or a slash and char technique that would add charcoal to
              the soil.

              Dan

              >I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers license and
              > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated because of
              > the
              > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I am going
              > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard company
              > manages to say anything specific!
              >

              > Cesca
            • Travis Philp
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 10 2:47 PM
                Hi Cesca. Thanks for the input. Does your soil association have a website or email address? I'd like to ask them more about their ban on cardboard. I had read somewhere that the glue which bonds the sheets together in corrugated cardboard was vegetable starch based but who knows what else they add in there.

                As for calling cardboard companies...thats why I've held off until now. I don't expect straight answers from them.

                Travis

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 10 3:01 PM
                  Hey Vic,

                  I'm sure nature can handle it but if its toxic I'd like to keep it out of my food is all.

                  And as for the permaculture police; black plastic is well known as toxic and highly leachable but it is still widely present in much of the literature I've read on permaculture.

                  I don't think all cardboard is made from recycled paper but if it was I'd be worried. Bleach residue isn't something I want in my body.

                  Cesca: I just remembered that a certified organic farm I interned for was allowed to use cardboard as long as there were no inks, or tape. I'm not saying this trumps the cert. board you speak of but I just thought I'd put that out there. Maybe the board I dealt with just didn't do its homework.

                  Travis
                  Any company making cardboard should have a COSHH care of substance
                  harmful to health register, all chemicals In the UK anyway) used in
                  an employment situation have to be recorded and made available to
                  operatives using it.

                  Alternatively check out any skips or waste areas at the factory.

                  There must be information on the net about what glue is used in
                  cardboard production.

                  Anyway. Permaculturists often joke about how worms love cardboard
                  glue, so I think its probably nothing that nature can't handle, and
                  the permaculture police would have made sure we all know if there was
                  a bad cardboard glue around?

                  And cardboard. Is it always made from reclaimed/ recycled paper?

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "cromlech108" <cromlech108@...> wrote:

                  > Yes sure, I'm sure you have to be careful in strick organic
                  regulation
                  > terms with using scavenged stuff...but I don't think its s real
                  factor
                  > in the garden. I used to think and belive and experience magic from
                  > free use, from stuff made at home, being more powerful and more pure
                  > than a purchased commodity, whether or not it included a small
                  amount
                  > of what technically might be a poison...to make what becomes some
                  sort
                  > of magical alchemy that has magical power!...to see that magic fade
                  > and get squeezed out...depressing when you know its *true*, but you
                  > just don't have the right set and setting to do the experiment
                  > properly. I did think actually, of travelling over to Morrocco, and
                  > walk round relevent areas untill I find the right place, either by
                  > gift, lease or freehold in which to make a forest garden, within a
                  > society of relevent and useful religious context...thats important
                  for
                  > the right head trip...without respect, its like pissing in the wind,
                  > and I just don't think that respect is possible here in the UK from
                  > various quarters, especially the state/government. Basically due to
                  > the lack of 'real time magic' I feel half alive here, trapped in
                  > materialism. Mind wrenchingly boring. Hard slog, nothing else until
                  > death.
                  >
                  > Allah Akbar
                  >
                  > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Cesca Beamish" <cesca@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have just had my soil association inspection for my growers
                  > license and
                  > > was asked to not use cardboard anymore, especially corrugated
                  > because of the
                  > > glues. They must have done some research before saying this so I
                  am
                  > going to
                  > > see if I find out more. Id be interested to hear if a cardboard
                  company
                  > > manages to say anything specific!
                  > >

                  > > Cesca
                  > >

                  > > _____

                • vic_doyle
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 11 3:20 AM
                    Hi again Travis,

                    The black plastic is used as a cover to warm the soil up, not "mixed
                    with the food", I can't see black plastic "leaching" to any
                    significant level, I don't use it, i prefer forest gardening, but
                    cardboard is an excellent mulch mat for new trees.

                    I think I read somewhere that animal glues are used, these have been
                    used for many years, perhaps because they don'e need a chemical
                    additive, the contamination could be compared to the air that we
                    breathe which is contaminated with car/airplane exhaust, it just
                    seems to me that cardboard is an extremely useful waste product, and
                    in terms of chemical content, its probably no more dangerous than
                    reading a newspaper and getting ink on your fingers, or even "looking
                    at a computer screen".

                    Thats all!

                    Vic

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Philp" <trphilp@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Vic,
                    >
                    > I'm sure nature can handle it but if its toxic I'd like to keep it
                    out of my food is all.

                    > And as for the permaculture police; black plastic is well known as
                    toxic and highly leachable but it is still widely present in much of
                    the literature I've read on permaculture.

                    > I don't think all cardboard is made from recycled paper but if it
                    was I'd be worried. Bleach residue isn't something I want in my body.

                    > Cesca: I just remembered that a certified organic farm I interned
                    for was allowed to use cardboard as long as there were no inks, or
                    tape. I'm not saying this trumps the cert. board you speak of but I
                    just thought I'd put that out there. Maybe the board I dealt with
                    just didn't do its homework.

                    > Travis

                  • BT Benjaminson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 11 12:32 PM
                      I was told by a cardboard box maker here in Israel that the glue is definitely toxic but the paper itself is not toxic.
                      I bought some of that brown paper used to make boxes, and put it as mulch around some important plants, and I don't think the plants like it at all.
                      So I am planning to stop using it.
                      Bat-tzion Benjaminson
                      Negev desert, Israel

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 11 2:50 PM
                        I understand how the black plastic is used. I've worked on a farm that used it extensively. I saw it tear and weaken from sun and water damage. Water is a great eroding and leaching agent and heat (from the sun in this case) is very good at making plastics highly leachable. With all the findings about various plastic products (eg. water bottles) leaching dioxins and other toxins into our bodies I don't think its far fetched to say there is a high possibility that black plastic leaches crap into soils.

                        Anyhow, you don't even use the stuff so hats off to you. I'd love to have land to be able to plant a forest garden. You're lucky :)

                        If it were just myself I was feeding I wouldn't care so much about the possible toxins in cardboard. I'm more concerned about using the cardboard instead of it going through a recycling process and the pollution that entails. I am responsible for a community garden which serves a number of foodbanks, as well as individual gardeners. So far we have only done sheet mulch/lasagne style bed prep and I would like to be able to give them the proper information regarding this issue.

                        Travis
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 14 5:31 AM
                          Its the cultural set and setting of the place that I was born into
                          that I object to. Its deadening..due to the lack of, well I've said it
                          enough times before...no magic, no belief in magic, all materialsim or
                          some sort of half baked/right wing con trick type christianity.
                          Ridiculas and unreal harrassment from the police due to dreadlocks/new
                          agre traveller peace convoy record from years ago. They are like
                          elephants and never forget due to their 'intellegence' records. Its
                          just all designed to implode any real magic and have work/materialism
                          instead and THAT is the deadening thing to the spirit...the witch
                          within. Yes I can win at that game and am doing so in fine fine style
                          thank you...Inshallah, heading towards a profit on my business
                          activities of £300000 no less this year. Inshallah as I say, because
                          you have to be humble. Nice to know there are fellow edible tree
                          enthusiasts around the world. I'm currently planting up an arboretum
                          of 'edibles'in east Sussex and have just exchanged contracts on 7.5
                          acres just by where I live on Anglesey also (no grey squirrels on
                          Anglsey which is a huge bonus for nut tree growing!) I always wanted
                          to do this because though I liked to plant trees out in the
                          wild/gurellia planting, lots failed or got trashed and its depressing
                          when you've planted lots of trees in among gorse bushes and then you
                          see the landowner grubbing up all those tree nursery sancturies. I
                          also will have respect from the local mainstream nazi types in terms
                          of business success by the end of all this. (as for new
                          age/alternative types, well you couldn't be more out of order if you
                          set your mind to it eh 'beast', forget it, bye bye scum)

                          Yes again, most local folks are sound, but again probably due to the
                          dreadlocks 'disguise' I can perceive quite easily who are the 'nice
                          guys' and who are the fascists amongst the local folk and farmers. I
                          think the eco warrior stint has made me less tolerant actually, made
                          it into a 'respect issue' with these so and so's. I simple wont put up
                          with it now. Then again its really something I have to let go of as
                          I'm not actually in the position that I would be perhaps in the
                          Pashtun tribal areas where what I have done would be honoured by local
                          people as they are more awake in terms of tribal values than in
                          heavily colonialised Wales, UK, where the pervert power colonialsit
                          state is the 'power' rather than tribal values and leadership. You
                          have to let go and not take it so seriously here because honour cannot
                          be asserted here, without running into trouble with their order, their
                          cops and all the rest of it. I do feel it would be different in
                          Morrocco say, it was in India due to magic/religion. I don't think if
                          I was able to tap into again this primal alchemic community wide
                          consciousness/reality shift thing again as an individual saint, that
                          the authorities there would try and sabatarge by some very nasty and
                          sick head games at the very least. That seem to be the score in Blighty.

                          Deep, sorry, just got some pinus pinea seed, more than I need so lets
                          try sharing again.

                          Ta

                          Jim

                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Juliano" <juliano8@...> wrote:

                          > HI man
                          >
                          > I really feel you, and am so sad you feel that way. I cannot
                          softsoap you, patronize you, and tell you to look at the sunny side,
                          because I spend a lot of my time trying to get through to people the
                          real state of things and to wake UP.

                          > I will just say that as well as seeing the encroaching
                          straightjacket close around us, we still must allow spirit of defiance
                          even in the face of crazies trying to control how we think, etc.

                          > Things stay with me that I have heard , read etc. For example, I
                          remember reading a Native American elder talking to some youth and he
                          told them that : Look, things are going to go faster and faster and
                          faster. So you must go slower and slower and slower"

                          > hah, I LOVE that. That is not conforming to the imposed opression
                          being pushed by the schools, the media, economic pressures, one's own
                          inculcated protestant work ethic which is a 'programming' that can
                          make people feel guilty if not doing 'anything'.

                          > Even look at how all the programmes, film, are fast edited. All this
                          makes the brain want faster faster. keep them experiences comin faster
                          faster faster. Many kids are bored bored bored with Nature! So are
                          drinking and drugging it. And not many adults have anty answers
                          because they have lost the thread of knowing where to look.

                          > Hey man. I am with you . Am in same boat. And thanks for saying it ;)
                          >
                          > regarde
                          >
                          > Juliano

                          09/03/2008 12:17

                        • cromlech108
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 14 8:08 AM
                            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "cromlech108" <cromlech108@...> wrote:

                            > I'm currently planting up an arboretum
                            > of 'edibles'in east Sussex and have just exchanged contracts on 7.5
                            > acres just by where I live on Anglesey also

                            I thought afterwards people in other parts of the world might be
                            thinking - huh 7.5 acres, thats nothing. Get this: that land cost a
                            barely credible £72000. Thats around £10000/acre. Unreal price for
                            North Wales...possibly the seaside factor coming in there, Anglseys
                            has become very fashionable recently, and Red Wharf Bay, an exclusive
                            and desirable area. The initial guide price was £18000 for the lot. I
                            was AB-SOL-UTE-LY determined to buy it. I had to buy it. Fortunatly I
                            am selling some land elsewhere at an equally silly price, and so could
                            bid up to that price. Its very sweet area of land and is right in
                            front of my cottage there. I had to buy it....its a wooded mound, so
                            you can see the trees on it laid out in front of you across a small
                            private valley. the previous owner was tree nut and so its well
                            managed with the Foresrt Commissions conifers having been replaced
                            with natives, especially oak, in a planned way...as more gaps are
                            opened up I shall plant nut and fruit trees for my friends, the birds!

                            Blessings.

                            TIBETAN TRIBAL SOVEREIGNTY!

                            ;)