Anybody Using Commercial Hydro/Aero-ponic Systems?

  • sustain_ability@123mail.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hello!
      Anybody using commercial hydro/aero-ponic systems?

      I'm not looking for an endorsement, but any advice regarding reliability
      and other issues is welcome. I'm especially concerned with parts supply,
      growth media availability (make your own?).

      Thanks
      George

      --
      http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different…
    • Travis Philp
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2008
        I would use a hydro/aero system but I'm concerned about the plastic and what toxins leach from it. Most plastics leach easily and contain hormone disrupters and carcinogens among other nasty substances so until they start making them out of safer substances I'll stay away. Just my two cents.

        Travis

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2008
          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, sustain_ability@... wrote:

          > Hello!
          > Anybody using commercial hydro/aero-ponic systems?
          >
          > I'm not looking for an endorsement, but any advice regarding reliability
          > and other issues is welcome. I'm especially concerned with parts supply,
          > growth media availability (make your own?).
          >
          > Thanks
          > George
          >

          > --
          > http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but differentÂ…

          ..I thought we'd covered cannabis grows exhaustivly?

          I can tell you that outdoor grown with wild genetics makes the best
          charras, failing that (this is an insider tip by the way), 'white
          widow' by Dinafem is excellent and finnishes around 10th - 14th Oct,
          with the flowers literally imploding with resin.

          Dood luck!(oh and feel free to share this special herb rather than
          punt, exploit, mind control and pervert)
        • Traveler in Thyme
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2008
            Personally, I am wary of using any growing system that depends on
            electricity...........one power failure and you are out of business. Plus,
            since we are all trying to cut back on high energy use, and not spend a lot
            of money on techno-gadgets in the organic style, I'll stick to digging in
            the dirt outdoors.

            Marcia Cash
            ~Traveler in Thyme~

          • Martin Naylor
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 7, 2008
              Check these dudes out

              barrelponics@ yahoogroups.com

              Anybody using commercial hydro/aero-ponic systems?
              martin

              John Lennon describes his first acid trip
              http://www.youtube com/v/7IaPtrmGCH A

              martin

            • Dan Culbertson
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2008
                Of course some of us have problems with good old dirt - like
                notorious-nematodes-from-hell and vicious-voracious-vandalizing-voles eating
                our sweet taters and such. There are a few hydroponics systems and
                quasi-hydroponics systems that do not use electricity. See ECHO's Technical
                Note on "Aboveground Gardens" available at
                http://www.echotech.org/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=122 .
                The Shallow Bed garden and Shallow Pool garden are pretty close to
                hydroponics if not exactly pure -- and they are definitely not commercial
                systems.

                The Shallow Bed garden can even be made sans plastic on an impervious
                concrete slab or roof. Personally, with regard to the other post on
                avoiding plastics, I'm rather more concerned about plastics leaching nasty
                stuff into my food from the plastic linings in steel (tin) cans and from
                some plastic food containers than from what might go into the soil and
                thence into the food from plastic planting bins. In the soil I'm more
                concerned with what happens when so-called organic additives are used - like
                chemical-laden manures, blood meal, bone meal, cardboard, commercial hay and
                straw, etc. At least when I grow my own I don't have to worry about all
                that stuff getting into the produce *plus* what gets into it from cans, bags
                and boxes on the way from the processing plant to my table. Even most
                "organic" store-bought canned produce suffers from tin-can pollution! Guess
                we all pretty much choose our own poisons, so to speak. Maybe I'll find
                gardening paradise next year. :-)

                Dan

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 8, 2008
                  Thanks, Dan. That's the ticket, along with barrel hydroponics (I
                  remember a commercial site for raising fish in a barrel, also) mentioned
                  earlier.

                  Locally, I don't have any substantial amount of soil to play with. What
                  there is, is saturated with root systems all fighting for survival in
                  extremely rocky conditions, an average 60 day growing season between
                  killer frosts, uncertain rainfall, foraging animals both tiny and huge
                  and, of course, myself.

                  Anybody with similar experience is asked to please contact me here or
                  off list. My retirement is pending and I need to get a head start.

                  Originally, I hoped aquaponics ( a
                  "using-fish-waste-to-fertilize-plant-growth-to-feed-the-fish" cycle)
                  would also feed people. The water volume used would also be useful in
                  moderating temperatures inside a habitat or dwelling year-round. While
                  that may or, in fact, has been proven successful on a huge scale (e.g.
                  the size of a city block), the physical obstacles where I plan to live
                  would likely require both resources and population density that won't
                  exist in the near future.

                  In my case, small is beautiful. Later, one can dream of using one's
                  newly acquired experience to expand to several orders of magnitude and
                  complexity.

                  Best Wishes
                  George
                  http://transitions.stumbleupon.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 9, 2008
                    That is also a problem I face along with the soil critters. Most of my best
                    possible garden sites are problematic with respect to tree roots and
                    structures. The ECHO shallow bed system, plastic barrier covered with a
                    little mulch and debris and fertilized with 10-10-10 seems to work pretty
                    good - just started one for taro. My best systems to date are basically
                    container gardens made from 8 inch deep cement tubs raised to waist level on
                    landscpe timbers and blocks. "Soil" for them is well-rotted compost and
                    perlite with cypress sawdust initially fertilized with ozmocote and top
                    dressed with 10-10-10 as needed later in the growing season. For deep
                    rooted crops, like daikon radish and tomatoes, I put down a sheet of black
                    plastic then a 4 foot diameter hoop of 3 foot tall, 2x4 welded wire mesh and
                    line it with landscape fabric. That becomes a 2 cubic yard compost pile for
                    about half a year or less then I plant veggies in it as an elevated planter.
                    After a year or longer I use the compost from the hoop planters (well rotted
                    muck by now) as the source of the compost for the cemenct tub gardens and
                    also around my fruit trees and a few things that are happy in the tree roots
                    like ginger. All the systems are drip irrigated and the runoff waters and
                    fertilizes the fruit trees and things like bananas planted on the north side
                    of the hoop planters. I don't use a recycling nutrient solution but I do
                    try to make sure it is used at least twice to make sure all the nutrients
                    are used up.

                    Some day I will probably get one of those barrelponics systems going. I
                    once had a lot of home-made conventional flood and drain hydroponic systems
                    but the nutrient solution costs and electricity costs made the veggies
                    rather expensive. Then a couple of power outages did in the crops one year.
                    So, if I do any nutrient solution system now I think I'd use the one that
                    gets the nutrients from fish pond effluent and the electricty from solar
                    powered pumps. But the gadget cost on some of that high and my compost bin
                    and tubs gardens are doing real well so I'm not in a hurry to add any more
                    complexity just now. But gadgets are fun to play with ! (I'm a retired
                    engineer and unrepentent gadget geek).

                    Dan