Question - cat tails

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 9:42 AM
      I want to grow cattails to help clear up our creek. Do I need to buy
      plants or seed? Where can I get them? Many thanks, Peg
    • Travis Philp
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6 2:18 PM
        Peggy,

        If you have cattails in your area that you think are safe, meaning they aren't downstream from a source of pollution (ei. cattle deficating near or in the waters edge, or industrial areas etc.) you can simply dig up some of the roots and shoots, and plant them in a bank. They should transplant with little or no care needed.

        Travis

        I want to grow cattails to help clear up our creek. Do I need to buy
        plants or seed? Where can I get them? Many thanks, Peg
      • cromlech108
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7 5:09 AM
          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Travis Philp" <trphilp@...> wrote:

          > Peggy,
          >
          > If you have cattails in your area that you think are safe, meaning
          they aren't downstream from a source of pollution (ei. cattle
          deficating near or in the waters edge...

          Travis

          Oh PLUR-EASE
        • Dan Culbertson
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10 6:25 AM
            I don't know if seeds are offered but cattails spread so fast that a few
            plants would be all you need. There are some cattail plants offered at
            Catalpa Tree Seed Company
            http://www.catalpatreeseeds.com/CandyPress/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=4721 -
            These are supposed to be "Giant" cattails which aren't as unruly as normal
            cattails. For the normal ones you might try any water garden store like Van
            Ness Water Gardens or Trickers - look under bog or marginal plants at those
            sites. Google "water garden supplies" to get a list of other places likely
            to have them and other bog plants that can clean up water. However, you
            might want to avoid those, like cattails, which might spread downstream and
            choke the creek. There are plenty of choices for more restrained bog
            plants.

            Dan