Re: [pfaf] perennial vegetables

  • Teeter
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 28 8:13 AM
      http://www.agroforestry.net/pubs/perennial_vegetables.html
      http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Perennial_Foods

      These two links should get you a good perennial garden going.

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:50:25 +0100, you wrote:
      >
      > >There is a book, I have not read, but which is very promising. It's
      > >"Perennial Vegetables" by Eric Toensmeier, who co-authored the famous
      > >"Edible Forest Gardens" book. See
      > >http://www.chelseagreen.com/2007/items/perennialvegetables for
      > >detailed information.
      >
      > I've read it, in fact I bought it. It is a terrific book, very very
      > helpful.
      >
      > I bought it on Amazon, where it is significantly cheaper.
      >
      > Pat
      > -- Northern Pennsylvania
      > http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
      > 'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
      > We should live in such a way that makes a future possible.'
      > - Thich Nhat Hanh

    • edibleforests
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2008
        hello all,

        i'm new to the group but have been a follower of pfaf for many
        years... just wanted to chime in... for a great resource on perennial
        vegetables i highly recommend reading the book Perennial Vegetables by
        Eric Toensmeier. Check it out of your local library or order it from
        the publisher. have fun reading... if you would like to check out a
        Toensmeier co-created project go to www.communitysupportedforestry.com

        be well,
        jonathan
      • Mary Lloyd
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008
          Yep, thats the one...GAS. I hadn't heard Jerusalem artichokes were
          aphrodisiac, could be a musical experience! hehe
          Michael Porter wrote:

          > Gas
          >
          > Infowolf1@... <mailto:Infowolf1%40aol.com> wrote: diarrhea or
          > aphrodisiac?
          >
          > In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:14:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          > mary@... <mailto:mary%40latter-rain.com> writes:
          >
          > I have grown the jerusalem ones: they are
          > pretty and I like the taste of the tubers. However they do have that
          > particular side effect, you know the one I mean......(smile)
          >
          > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.
          > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/
          > <http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/>
          > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

        • Clinton McDowell
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008
            Hello,
            ALL bamboo shoots are edible ...tho some are far tastier than others. generally they are boiled twice(throw out the boiled water each time). that boiling process gets rid of some of the bitter taste. None-the-less bamboo shoots ARE considered bitter in the chinese way of looking at food. Write me personally if you are more interested in specifis shoots.
            The most common shoots from china are ¨Moso¨(Phyllostachys pubescens) also good are Ph. dulcis,Ph. aurea,Dendrocalamus asper, Bambusa oldhamii a certain cultivar w/a ¨weeping¨grass like habit as opposed to the more common very straight species.

            Infowolf1@... escribió:
            is it big bamboo or the little skinny ones? There is more than one
            bamboo species, you might want to find out about edibility of all
            of them.

            In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:14:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            mary@... writes:

            Are Bamboo shoots you get in Chinese restaurants real shoots of Bamboo?
            That grows like mad over here and it is a job to get rid of if anything.
            I can see this is going to turn into a real project.

            2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)