Re: [pfaf] perennial vegetables

  • Teeter
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 28, 2008
      http://www.agroforestry.net/pubs/perennial_vegetables.html
      http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Perennial_Foods

      These two links should get you a good perennial garden going.

    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1 11:59 AM
        diarrhea or aphrodisiac?

        In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:14:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        mary@... writes:

        I have grown the jerusalem ones: they are
        pretty and I like the taste of the tubers. However they do have that
        particular side effect, you know the one I mean......(smile)

        2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

      • edibleforests
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1 12:55 PM
          hello all,

          i'm new to the group but have been a follower of pfaf for many
          years... just wanted to chime in... for a great resource on perennial
          vegetables i highly recommend reading the book Perennial Vegetables by
          Eric Toensmeier. Check it out of your local library or order it from
          the publisher. have fun reading... if you would like to check out a
          Toensmeier co-created project go to www.communitysupportedforestry.com

          be well,
          jonathan
        • Michael Porter

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 2 12:31 AM
              Yep, thats the one...GAS. I hadn't heard Jerusalem artichokes were
              aphrodisiac, could be a musical experience! hehe
              Michael Porter wrote:

              > Gas
              >
              > Infowolf1@... <mailto:Infowolf1%40aol.com> wrote: diarrhea or
              > aphrodisiac?
              >
              > In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:14:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              > mary@... <mailto:mary%40latter-rain.com> writes:
              >
              > I have grown the jerusalem ones: they are
              > pretty and I like the taste of the tubers. However they do have that
              > particular side effect, you know the one I mean......(smile)
              >
              > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.
              > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/
              > <http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/>
              > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

            • Clinton McDowell
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 2 2:19 PM
                Hello,
                ALL bamboo shoots are edible ...tho some are far tastier than others. generally they are boiled twice(throw out the boiled water each time). that boiling process gets rid of some of the bitter taste. None-the-less bamboo shoots ARE considered bitter in the chinese way of looking at food. Write me personally if you are more interested in specifis shoots.
                The most common shoots from china are ¨Moso¨(Phyllostachys pubescens) also good are Ph. dulcis,Ph. aurea,Dendrocalamus asper, Bambusa oldhamii a certain cultivar w/a ¨weeping¨grass like habit as opposed to the more common very straight species.

                Infowolf1@... escribió:
                is it big bamboo or the little skinny ones? There is more than one
                bamboo species, you might want to find out about edibility of all
                of them.

                In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:14:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                mary@... writes:

                Are Bamboo shoots you get in Chinese restaurants real shoots of Bamboo?
                That grows like mad over here and it is a job to get rid of if anything.
                I can see this is going to turn into a real project.

                2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)