Re: [pfaf] perennial vegetables

  • Teeter
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 28, 2008
      http://www.agroforestry.net/pubs/perennial_vegetables.html
      http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Perennial_Foods

      These two links should get you a good perennial garden going.

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Pat Meadows <pat@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:50:25 +0100, you wrote:
      >
      > >There is a book, I have not read, but which is very promising. It's
      > >"Perennial Vegetables" by Eric Toensmeier, who co-authored the famous
      > >"Edible Forest Gardens" book. See
      > >http://www.chelseagreen.com/2007/items/perennialvegetables for
      > >detailed information.
      >
      > I've read it, in fact I bought it. It is a terrific book, very very
      > helpful.
      >
      > I bought it on Amazon, where it is significantly cheaper.
      >
      > Pat
      > -- Northern Pennsylvania
      > http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
      > 'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
      > We should live in such a way that makes a future possible.'
      > - Thich Nhat Hanh

    • Michael Porter
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2008
        On the Daves Garden web site, --you may be able to find Baa , she is in the UK and very knowledgeable - and probly some others also, --Michael

        Mary Lloyd <mary@...> wrote: Hi and thanks Michael and Julie...
        I am in Wales UK. Lots of rain and milder winters than in the E. of
        Britain.
        I didn't realize Good King Henry was a perennial. Artichokes, great! Is
        the globe type easy to grow? I have grown the jerusalem ones: they are
        pretty and I like the taste of the tubers. However they do have that
        particular side effect, you know the one I mean......(smile)
        Love, Whinnie

      • Infowolf1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2008
          is it big bamboo or the little skinny ones? There is more than one
          bamboo species, you might want to find out about edibility of all
          of them.

          In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:14:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          mary@... writes:

          Are Bamboo shoots you get in Chinese restaurants real shoots of Bamboo?
          That grows like mad over here and it is a job to get rid of if anything.
          I can see this is going to turn into a real project.

          2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

        • Infowolf1@aol.com

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1, 2008
              hello all,

              i'm new to the group but have been a follower of pfaf for many
              years... just wanted to chime in... for a great resource on perennial
              vegetables i highly recommend reading the book Perennial Vegetables by
              Eric Toensmeier. Check it out of your local library or order it from
              the publisher. have fun reading... if you would like to check out a
              Toensmeier co-created project go to www.communitysupportedforestry.com

              be well,
              jonathan
            • Michael Porter

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008
                  Yep, thats the one...GAS. I hadn't heard Jerusalem artichokes were
                  aphrodisiac, could be a musical experience! hehe
                  Michael Porter wrote:

                  > Gas
                  >
                  > Infowolf1@... <mailto:Infowolf1%40aol.com> wrote: diarrhea or
                  > aphrodisiac?
                  >
                  > In a message dated 3/1/2008 7:14:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  > mary@... <mailto:mary%40latter-rain.com> writes:
                  >
                  > I have grown the jerusalem ones: they are
                  > pretty and I like the taste of the tubers. However they do have that
                  > particular side effect, you know the one I mean......(smile)
                  >
                  > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.
                  > (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/
                  > <http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/>
                  > 2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                • Clinton McDowell
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008
                    Hello,
                    ALL bamboo shoots are edible ...tho some are far tastier than others. generally they are boiled twice(throw out the boiled water each time). that boiling process gets rid of some of the bitter taste. None-the-less bamboo shoots ARE considered bitter in the chinese way of looking at food. Write me personally if you are more interested in specifis shoots.
                    The most common shoots from china are ¨Moso¨(Phyllostachys pubescens) also good are Ph. dulcis,Ph. aurea,Dendrocalamus asper, Bambusa oldhamii a certain cultivar w/a ¨weeping¨grass like habit as opposed to the more common very straight species.